Forum Replies Created

Page 305 of 403
  • Chris Borjis

    September 5, 2007 at 8:40 pm in reply to: export to avid meridian with fcp 5.1.4

    Why couldn’t he export an Avid DNx HD codec?

  • There is indeed a good reason why pro monitors have a 16:9 button. 🙂

  • Chris Borjis

    September 5, 2007 at 3:27 pm in reply to: Pro Res woes…

    The missing prores easy setups could have been caused by their in house computer guy removing what he thought would be unused easy setups to ease confusion for the editors.

    I’ve been tempted to this as well (I Mean who uses all of those) but the one time I might need a 720P Pal easy setup, it wouldn’t be there, so I leave it be.

  • Chris Borjis

    September 5, 2007 at 3:22 pm in reply to: export to avid meridian with fcp 5.1.4

    [CouryC] “DVCPRO HD at a resolution of 1248×702.”

    Thats not a DVCPRO HD resolution I’ve heard of.

    It should be 960×720 or 1280×1080

    Try to export it as that size with quicktime conversion and see what happens.

  • Chris Borjis

    September 4, 2007 at 8:28 pm in reply to: HD Sequence to SD Delivery

    you can get a fabulous down conversion (if you don’t mind the wait) if you export through quicktime conversion.

    It has options to format the image for 4:3 or 16:9 and adding bars as well.

    I did this for a spot delivered on betasp that originated from HDV. It looked awesome when it was aired.

  • Chris Borjis

    September 4, 2007 at 8:26 pm in reply to: editing HD in FCP 5

    A good rule is to run the easy setup each time you start a new project to avoid such issues.

  • Chris Borjis

    September 4, 2007 at 4:23 pm in reply to: HD Sequence to SD Delivery

    [Michael G] “The Decklink real time downconvert is not good enough in my opinion.”

    is your decklink doing a hardware or software convert?

    my multibridge extreme does it in both and the hardware downconversion is quite excellent. software of course is aliased and completely unacceptable, not even sure why they offer it.

  • Chris Borjis

    September 4, 2007 at 4:19 pm in reply to: Drop or non in HD

    I do mostly :15 & :30 TV spots and they are always done at non drop. Always has been that way.

    But all of our longform is ALWAYS drop frame.

  • Chris Borjis

    September 1, 2007 at 6:07 pm in reply to: FCP6 and 8 cores Mac Pro

    I’ve heard several times that you generally want 1gb of memory per core you have as a general minimum to get the most out of an 8 core system.

  • Chris Borjis

    September 1, 2007 at 6:02 pm in reply to: 120min SD DVD encoding

    [shiloh] “I was also wondering if software encoding is capable of producing studio quality. Maybe, but I’m realy hopping not to have to, I sould look for a hardware encoding service?”

    Not at all.

    Compressor is very good at compressing mpeg2.
    The problem is, the presets are not optimized as they should be to attain that level of quality. You have to tweak it for best results.

    make a copy of whatever preset you are using in compressor.
    Then make sure the motion estimation filter is set for highest quality (that can have a huge impact from massive macroblocking to no macroblocking)

    next, look at your GOP settings. make it the smallest number I think 7 is as low as it will allow. This will also improve image quality but it will increase the final encoded file a bit.

    These 2 little tweaks should make an improvement over all.

    DV source footage is the worst kind to be encoding though, you can only get so much out of it.

Page 305 of 403

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy