Forum Replies Created

Page 201 of 258
  • Charlie Austin

    June 28, 2013 at 11:16 pm in reply to: Avid Media Composer 7 out – anyone excited?

    [Oliver Peters] “Nope. Relinking with AMA is dicey at best. The AAF import is designed to have you import/ingest media, since it’s a vestige of tape capture. Sometimes I’ve been able to import the clips as AMA clips and then link the other master clips from the AAF to the ones imported via AMA. There is an AMA relinking feature, so you might have success after RTFM, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. ;-)”

    That’s what i was afraid of… I tried a batch import as well, but it won’t see the shared drives, so I guess there’s some AMA voodoo required there as well. And I have been attempting to decipher TFM regarding AMA relinking and it’s um… confusing at best… Oh well. The more things change etc, etc.. 🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    June 28, 2013 at 11:08 pm in reply to: Avid Media Composer 7 out – anyone excited?

    [Dan Stewart] “Import as AMA. Shouldn’t make a proxy. “

    Yep, that works fine… the issue I’m having is… I’ve imported an AAF sequence from FCP 7. MC imports fine, and puts the master clips and sequence in my bin. Sequence/clips look to be all there but offline. I’d just like to relink it, to the existing shared media, but can’t figure out how to make it work… It should work right?

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    June 28, 2013 at 8:54 pm in reply to: Can MC 7 see/use files on NAS?

    Yeah, it sees the drive(s) and I can import as AMA, but I have a project containing clips/sequence created by importing an AAF. It doesn’t seem to want to let me relink them…

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    June 28, 2013 at 7:20 pm in reply to: Avid Media Composer 7 out – anyone excited?

    So, I posted this on the Avid forum… no response, so I thought thought I’d try here on the “whatever you want to babble about” forum… Been running MC at home with local storage, but I want to mess with it at work now, so…

    So… I’ve got FCP X, FCP 7, and Pr CC all running at work using shared media. Media is on plain old GB enet OS X server shared drives. Mount the drives, everyone works and is happy. Now i’d like to get MC to use the same media (I use MC at home but the media is locally connected) So uh… can i do this without jumping through hoops? I don’t want to move or do anything to the shared media to break our workflow… TIA!

    I’ve got a project imported as from an AAF, sequence opens fine but media is offline. Set the “alldrives” command in the console and the relink pane sees the drives, but it won’t relink. I don’t get the whole AMA thing, so maybe someone can step through it? Or will it not work with what I’m trying to do? And when I import a file it still wants to copy it to my local drive. I thought this wasn’t necessary anymore…

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Bill Davis] “I know it’s difficult for many experienced editors to simply un-learn the old ways and learn new ones instead, but your story reminds me that the best way to learn a new tool is to actually learn to use the new tool!”

    I mistrust CC’s, at least as far as cutting spots in them. Last week I had made some keyed green screen shot masters (XAVC with sync audio) in CC’s and was rendering them out as Prores 4444 with alpha so FCP 7 guys could use them. At some point, they just stopped exporting the audio. Cut them into projects, broke ’em apart, and they were fine.

    But to your point above. Telling people they need to “un-learn” things just isn’t true. You just need to learn how X accomplishes what you’re used to doing. The Event/project organization is new, but you don’t need to unlearn anything to use it. Just use it. I’m astounded by people who happily exist in the button and menu filled multi-paned worlds of most other NLE’s and think FCP X is complicated and unintuitive. I like Pr, I like MC, I really like X, more so after this AM :-). They all do the same thing, it’s not brain surgery…

    In retrospect, I probably had just accidentally hit CNTRL-0 with the clip selected and removed all the keywords. That would explain all the projects still being online, the clip was probably still in the event. But I’d have lost a boatload of work without the backup, especially had all my cuts lived in the event… Being able to restore an old event and keep my up to date cuts was pretty cool…
    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    June 25, 2013 at 5:38 pm in reply to: Clip volume KB shortcut?

    [Ann Bens] “Type in the search of the KBS ‘volume’ and you will find several options.
    “

    Thanks, Found it. 🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    June 21, 2013 at 8:31 pm in reply to: Why is Keyframing in FCPX so shite?

    [Julian Bowman] “at the moment I want to feed the app to the dog so probably wisest to unplug and watch re-runs of Britain’s Got Talent (Hungarian, though, it seems).”

    lol. Yeah, that KF thing is annoying, here’s the youtube vide that illustrates the workaround. He’s doing it to get a truly linear move, but it works for anything keyframed that moves uh… unexpectedly. 😉

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euyathw6fI4

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • Charlie Austin

    June 21, 2013 at 7:56 pm in reply to: Why is Keyframing in FCPX so shite?

    [Julian Bowman] “Why does it sit in the top left with a stagger as if it had a bottle of vodka on the way to the top left of the screen?

    Why can’t it JUST SIT STILL?”

    It’s a bug, thought it had been fixed as I don’t see it these days… You on 10.0.8? After you set keyframes, go to the first one, move 1f forward, set a kf, then delete it. do the same 1 frame before the outgoing kf. Something like that….

    Also, if you have transform selected in the viewer you can see your paths and adjust linearity etc by right clicking, which I’m sure you know… One thing I discovered though is that you can select the KF in the clip animation and, if the clip is the focus, you can use the , and . keys to move the kf and the viewer tracks it…

    It could be better, and hopefully it will be… 😉

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    June 21, 2013 at 3:53 pm in reply to: Marker placed at top of timeline not on clips

    [Andy Neil] “For example, why doesn’t the Home key jump the scrubber to the beginning of a clip in the event viewer? Why can’t I use shortcuts to adjust a clip selection (like highlight a connected clip instead of a storyline clip). Or move a connected clip’s hierarchy? Why can’t I adjust the fade in handles of a clip with the keyboard? Why can’t I adjust the volume of a clip in the event viewer with a shortcut? Or make/mark off a To Do list marker? Or a dozen other things.”

    I started on Avid as well. And I do agree that there are a lot of useful shortcuts that are MIA. I just find myself clicking a lot less in X than I do in 7. Again, maybe I just spent more time poking around in the shortcut lists floating around… 🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    June 21, 2013 at 3:14 pm in reply to: Marker placed at top of timeline not on clips

    [Andy Neil] “But the good news has been how much time has been spent returning the most needed features back into the program. Because it was a completely different way to organize an NLE as far as clip associations and things like that, I feel that the engineers took out things that they weren’t sure how to make work right away. Then they’ve been putting them back in as they discover the best way to implement them. Hopefully timeline markers are one of those things to make a reappearance.”

    I think you’re probably correct. Also, FWIW, I use way more shortcuts in X than I did in 7. Maybe because I had to to poke around in it more to learn it? Way less mouse clicking for me though…

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

Page 201 of 258

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy