Charlie Austin
Forum Replies Created
-
[Gary Huff] [Charlie Austin] “Meaning you have to learn how to use it. ;-)”
“I do know how to use it, and it’s still annoying from time to time, and there are certain projects for which tracks are simply better.”And… I agree. I guess that part of my response earlier could be read as a putdown, and it really wasn’t. I’m not a blind FCPX fan boy, I curse at the computer equally in all NLE’s 🙂
What I meant was you have to have the time to learn how to use it, something in short supply when you’re on 3 gigs at once with deadlines/clients hanging over you.
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Steve Connor] “It’s just like the FCPX launch over again!”
LOL.
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Lance Bachelder] “While I keep an open mind for FCPX and hope Apple comes to their senses on the next rev”
And do what exactly? Put tracks back in? 🙂
[Lance Bachelder] “for all the Producer’s who were FCP 7 users…it took about 30 seconds for them to get comfy and start roughing out selects, something they could have NEVER done with FCPX which, sadly, has the steepest learning curve of any NLE ever devised.”
No, it doesn’t. I’ll agree that it’s hard for some folks who’ve worked pretty much the same way for a couple decades (including me) to get used to how X works. And that’s fine. But I guarantee you that a producer who wasn’t an FCP 7 editor, who had never edited on another system, would be able to learn X in about the same amount of time. FCP 7, Pr, MC?? NFW.
That’s not a putdown of any of those apps BTW, but X is really approachable if you don’t expect it to work a certain way, that’s all….
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
I’m in a similar situation to Jeremy. I prefer X, but if I’m on a job that requires lots of sequence swapping, I’ll do it in 7. Out of 6 Editors, I use X (or Pr or MC if I’m feeling like pulling my hair out, but that’s my problem, not the apps), 4 are on 7 and 1 uses 7 and Pr. I think there are 2 big things that keep folks from diving into 7… well, 3, if you count the never-ending FUD still out there…
One is the timeline. Arguably, once you’re used to it, it’s very hard to go back to a traditional NLE. It does, however, take some getting used to. Meaning you have to learn how to use it. 😉 That’s hard for a lot of people, and that’s the lure of Pr… it’s more or less the same-ish as 7.
The other, and I think the biggest, is the fact that, people believe it’s much harder to share “Projects” (the old meaning) between Editors. Which, in a way, is true. You can do it, it’s not really hard, but it seems convoluted compared to “here’s a project file (bin)” like 7 or Pr, or even MC.
Everybody can get behind the key wording, tagging, metadata goodness. It’s awesome, and a huge selling point for X. And while the timeline isn’t gonna change, it’ll (hopefully!) get better. It still requires time to get used to, but It’s worth the time. It’s very enticing to others here, despite the “weirdness” of it. But I think that if Apple can fix the ability to easily share work somehow, it will be very helpful for larger, collaborative workflows. Hopefully they’ve been reading the feedback we’ve all been sending! 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
For color correction or something? That sucks. Not the case with Slice-X ..
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Bill Davis] “So who’s goinna print up the…
“FCP-X – We don’t need no stinkin’ tracks”
T-shirts for NAB next year?”
LOL… I recommend customink.com 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Bill Davis] “or when I try to do keyframing inside the storyline keyframe disclosure window – I find myself “sighing” a lot.”
Wait… did you just say something critical of FCPX? :-0 I kinda like the keyframe pop up window thingy, though it could certainly be enhanced. Maybe if you could just let go of the old way of doing it you’d get it! 😉
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Erik Lindahl] “Overlays in the viewer is what I was talking about. “
Got it… FWIW, I’ve never used a plug in whose HUD had rendered to video. If I saw that I’d say it was broken, or horribly designed. 🙂
[Erik Lindahl] “A floating window or HUD is IMO in general a poor GUI-design.”
I agree when they’re poorly implemented. The way they work in Motion is quite nice though IMO…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Erik Lindahl] “Doesn’t the HUD render to file if you don’t remove it with some plug-ins? And doesn’t the HUD show on your video-output? That’s kind of a flawed design don’t you think?”
No idea, I’ve not seen that. We may be talking about 2 different things. There’s the viewer overlay type, like slice X, and the floating window type, as seen all over Motion and in X for things like Keywords, BG tasks, some plugin controls, etc.
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Erik Lindahl] “Yes, this is exactly what I’d want. “Collected Tracks” or “Role Collections”.”
This is exactly what Logic X has done with “Track Stacks”. I’d be surprised if The X folks weren’t looking at this type of thing. Whether it shows up in the next version or not, something like it is hopefully on their radar. God knows they’ve had enough requests for a feature like that. 🙂
EDIT: The only “problem” with any Role visual grouping in a timeline, is how to deal with multichannel clips with multiple Roles, and/or Roles that are components of Video clips in a storyline. It’s doable, but I don’t thinks it’s gonna be easy to have not have it end up as some big kludge. That may be why we haven’t seen it yet…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~