Forum Replies Created

Page 186 of 258
  • Charlie Austin

    October 18, 2013 at 8:57 pm in reply to: FCPX is Ready for prime time

    [Douglas K. Dempsey] “I am interested in how you do versioning of your short pieces? Do you use compound clips, multiple projects, etc?

    Doug D”

    Not the OP, but I just duplicate the project and continue. Some folks use CC’s as well… Personal preference I guess, same result… 🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    October 18, 2013 at 8:46 pm in reply to: FCPX is Ready for prime time

    [Shane Ross] “Most of the time shared projects with multiple editors. FCX isn’t up to that task yet,”

    Do you consider FCP 7 to be up to that task? IOW just handing an (tcp 7) sequence/project off to another editor right? Not multiple users cutting the same sequence concurrently right?

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    October 16, 2013 at 5:03 pm in reply to: Final Cut X etc software (New Mac?)

    [Bryce Douglass] “all my externals are USB”

    If you don’t see “USB 3” next to any of your USB devices, then they’re all USB 2, which is not going to work very well at all if you’re trying to edit from those drives.

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    October 16, 2013 at 4:03 pm in reply to: Final Cut X etc software (New Mac?)

    [Bryce Douglass] “Sorry if this sounds dumb but how I do check to see if my drives are USB 2 or 3 etc?”

    Not dumb… 🙂 Go to About this Mac, then click on More Info in the window that pops up, and when the next window appears, click on System Report, then on USB in the sidebar of the Report. 🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    October 16, 2013 at 7:51 am in reply to: Final Cut X etc software (New Mac?)

    RAM, as much as you can put in. Also, are the drives USB? 2 or 3? USB 3 at a minimum, or thunderbolt are really the only way to go…. 🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Gary Huff] “I accept.”

    < virtual handshake >

    🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Gary Huff] “And how many preorders will cancel once it becomes clear you won’t be getting started for anything less than $4k.”

    I will bet you 1 dollar that you *will* be able to get one for under 4k.

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “I guess, this is why it pays to be in the know.”

    I know*. Pay me. 🙂

    *nothing

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    October 9, 2013 at 6:28 pm in reply to: Am I old fashion?

    [Herb Sevush] “I had no intent, I was just making a non judgmental observation about your comments.”

    Of course, and I wasn’t implying intent. Hopefully that came across. 🙂

    [Herb Sevush] “I think Hollywood editors are very conservative for a number of reasons –

    1) operational speed is not essential, they get paid for thinking and organizational skills, not typing or mousing speed.
    2) they have assistants to sweat the technical stuff.”

    Absolutely. But I there are also different breeds of Hollywood editors. For feature editors, you are correct. For people who cut TV, or Trailers/Promos etc, The opposite is often true. I know it is for me. Client on phone watching my cut in real time on a fiber connection with a deadline in 15 minutes to get something out to test over the weekend. Fast (and good) is essential. Sometimes a feature editor can cut a good trailer and visa versa, but it really is a different language, and timeframe. The point being, If you are really fast and competent on a particular NLE/DAW/GFX package etc, there’s not much reason to change unless it just stops working.

    [Herb Sevush] “3) stability and reliability are paramount. If Michael Bay is coming for a screening your sh*t better be working.”

    lol… that’s true of many things other than features. 🙂 Anytime there’s a client looking over your shoulder your sh*t better be working.

    [Herb Sevush] “4) Citizen Kane and Chinatown were cut on upright moviolas; obviously talent trumps technology.”

    Yep… I really believe – and this has nothing specifically to do with the NLE choice topic – the quote in my sig below to be true. I saw something pretty impressive on the intertubes a while ago that had been shot, and cut, on an iPhone.

    [Herb Sevush] “Another adage was – “if the shot sucks, put it in a cube and spin it.””

    For us it’s the explosion or other loud sound hiding the crappy music edit. It’s an adage that’s still in effect. 😉

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    October 9, 2013 at 5:14 pm in reply to: Am I old fashion?

    [Herb Sevush] “On the other hand some of the most conservative editors technologically are the a-list Hollywood editors. So I don’t think you can say quality is the dividing line.”

    I agree. and I think Nicholas notes a fairly likely reason why:

    [Nikolas Bäurle] “One of the main factors is the fear many have of not being fast enough. Even as a very fast editor I find myself dealing with doubts every now and again, especially when I haven’t used an NLE for a certain kind of job. The other day I was training myself on Avid 7 to get the same kind of curvy crazy animations I like doing in X. I’ve never had the similar workflows on Avid since what I do on each NLE is different.”

    Setting aside that X (or anything other than your main axe) may or may not meet all your technical needs… It’s hard for someone who is used to, and expected to, scream through edits, to learn a new workflow, interface, KB command set etc. When you have to think “how do I do this” every few minutes, it’s really frustrating. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it is the mindset. I see it here among our 5 other editors.

    4 are on FCP 7 and making no effort to learn *anything* else. They’re enticed by what they’ve seen of X from my bay, but feel like they have no time to mess with it (or Pr or MC). The other, who does most of our AE stuff, is poking around Pr. Not because it’s better or worse, but because it’s familiar. I’m doing temp GFX and some other stuff that he can’t easily do, or has to go to AE for, and the metadata stuff in X is hugely enticing. Despite that, despite that fact that I’m cutting in X and finishing the same jobs, in hollywood, in the next room, He still feels like “nobody likes X”. It’s… interesting.

    We were relatively slow here for about a month when I picked up X. I’m not sure I would have had, or even wanted to spend the time to bumble my way through it otherwise. And on my own time, when I have it, the last thing I want to do is stare at, and swear at, a computer screen. 🙂

    Clearly, this isn’t the only reason, but I think it’s significant.

    [Herb Sevush] “Your references seem to be local tv spots.”

    Not that it was your intent, I don’t think it was, but this is a pretty common refrain, evidenced by the “get an IMDB credit” comment above. X hasn’t had it’s Cold Mountain Moment as far as some in “Hollywood” are concerned. The Coen Brothers carry more weight than some Chinese guy… 🙂 And until a “name” editor finishes something on X, a lot of folks won’t take it seriously. And some people won’t ever like it. We do have a lot of choices now though… That’s always been the case with new things I think… 😉

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

Page 186 of 258

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy