Charlie Austin
Forum Replies Created
-
[Oliver Peters] “Actually it doesn’t. It creates Synchronized clips with timecode reset to 0. Not useable.”
Point taken. Hopefully that will change…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Chris Harlan] “Its an opinion piece. Its supposed to be biased; that’s what opinions are. “
Agreed, though the reactions to peoples “opinions” about X (Bill, I’m looking at you!) engender similar reactions among those who disagree. (and sometimes from people who *do* agree lol) If Kevin wrote the same piece about MC or Pr, he’d get the same reaction, just from different camps. 😉
[Chris Harlan] “Now if you can point out exactly where he is misinformed, I might be interested in listening.”
I think his observation that no *big* facilities have switched to X, is correct. In Toronto and elsewhere. But really, a lot of those big Post facilities never switched to FCP Classic either, at least places that finish stuff. They tolerated FCP. I think the biggest sticking point for facilities, at least the ones I know of that are interested in X (yes, there really are some of those…) is collaboration. The whole Project/Event dependency dance you need to do now. If that changes, I think people will take a closer look. The timeline change is also a biggie, but at the end of the day it’s just a timeline into which you cut things. SHIFT-1,2 or 3 then Q, W, E, or D. There. Now you can edit in the magnetic timeline. Your welcome.
All facetiousness aside… What bugs me about Kevin’s piece is that are a few things that are just pure conjecture stated as facts:
At the end of the day, there is one reason that FCP7 became FCPX. Apple doesn’t care about editors and editing. They care about phone sales.
Right. That’s why they spent a not insignificant amour of time and money to create an entirely new Mac Pro. to sell phones.
They don’t care that we don’t have audio mixing (Soundtrack Pro), DVD creation (DVD Studio Pro), Color Grading (Color).
Soundtrack Pro = Logic (admittedly a WIP, but you can see where they’re going.
DVD Studio Pro – Yes, EOL, but apparently Adobe doesn’t care about this either, and Avid never did.
Color = For the majority of users, what’s in X is very good, much better than the old FCP. If you need more, Resolve is free. Why would Apple want to compete in that space anymore?In FCP’s heyday, MC facilities were switching their facilities over to FCP, and it had Avid (and Adobe for that matter) reeling! Today, no post facility using Media Composer has said “The features in FCPX completely blow away what’s in MC right now, we must switch all of our edit stations over!”
They never said that in FCP’s “heyday” either. They said, “well, it can do most of what we need, but more importantly, look how cheap it is! We’ll take it!”
Learn it as well as you can, but make sure you also know Media Composer and Premiere Pro CC just as well,
Complete agreement there, especially for freelancers.
as the day is coming where Apple could very will just flip the switch, and leave everyone in the dark.
The day is coming when Avid could very well go out of business. The day is coming when Adobe isn’t making money and could very well EOL their Video apps. The end is near!
In the grand scheme of things… what was the point of this piece? Honestly, at this point who cares what NLE “everyone” uses? It’s trivially easy to swap a sequence in and out of X, FCP 7, and Pr. MC is kind of an outlier here, but it’s doable. They all do the same thing. They all do some things better than the other. Some are easier, some are harder, depending on what your needs are. What is it about X that sets people off so much? That’s an opinion piece I’d like to read…
Eventually, some “name” editor will cut a “Hollywood Feature” on X. Then we get to listen to people’s opinions as to why that doesn’t matter. I can’t wait! 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Oliver Peters] “I don’t doubt that the particular Event might be at fault. BUT… If that’s the case, it re-enforces the concern about trusting FCP X to a large, long form production. And yes, there are people I can bug. Although I’m waiting to see what X.1 brings upon us. ;-)”
Still, it seems that there’s something unusual going wrong with your event. I haven’t heard of anyone experiencing your symptoms, and I’m sure it’s be posted everywhere if it was a common problem, so I’m pretty sure they’d like to know. It might be worth at least running it by them.
[Oliver Peters] “One other thought is that this issue could be directly related to Sync-N-Link X. Something wonky under the hood for all we know. That’s another danger of X – relying on third party developers. IA is great and very responsive, but in the end, it allows Apple to avoid responsibility for certain workflows.”
Sure, but to be fair, X does a good job internally synching clips. IA just adds more bells and whistles (in a good way). Not to say X does everything in the app, it doesn’t. But that not just X really… If every NLE did everything perfectly, apps like PluralEyes would never have come into existence.
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Oliver Peters] “Beats me. Hasn’t worked right from day one on this project. These are master clips with embedded double-system sound. The embedding is done either manually (open in timeline) or via Sync-N-Link X. When I detach the audio on a connected clip and try to match frame it just makes an error noise.”
That’s an odd one. As I said, it always works for me… just for giggles I just synched a clip, cut it in as connected, detached audio, and it matched back just fine. Apples to oranges probably, but it seems like somethings f-ed up in your how your event(s)/project is tracking media. I can imagine what a giant PITA that must be…
————————————————————-~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Oliver Peters] “Yes. At least as it pertains to these clips with embedded double-system audio.
– Oliver”
That has not been my experience, and I use, and detach audio, from master clips with embedded multichannel audio in pretty mu ch everything I do. What are these clips?
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Shot in the dark… might it have something to do with the text layer acting as an adjustment layer? If you delete the title, does the same thing happen?
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Douglas K. Dempsey] “Yikes! Thanks Oliver & Charlie, I am forewarned.”
You’ll be fine, though as Oliver points out, CC’s can cause trouble when consolidating Events etc. So… don’t do that. lol
It’s probably worth your time to turn final versions of your cuts, if they’re CC’s, into projects just to be safe though. Particularly before updating to whatever new versions of X appear… CC’s were not really designed to do what a lot of people are using them for… They work, but there can be… issues…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Jeremy Garchow] “You can make folders in the Project Library. For my versioning, I typically have a few working sequences, and then a folder marked “zOld” and put older cuts in there.
You can even quit FCPX, Make a new folder in the Final Cut Projects folder, drag a few Project folders in to it, launch FCPX, and FCPX will have the exact same organization with folder names in the Project Library.
This way, I can drag multiple Projects to the zOld folder. Something you can’t do in the FCPX project library.
“I do the same thing. Works quite well. Remembering to not include and/or delete render files is kind of a PITA though.
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Oliver Peters] “In my experience, compounds should be completely avoided at all costs, except for effects nests and the like. These have ramifications later, like when you try to dupe+used clips to create a “consolidated” event.”
Agreed. CC”s work fine, except when they don’t. I know a lot of people have requested easier versioning.
————————————————————-~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Shane Ross] “I have used FCP 6 and 7 in environments where we had multiple users cutting one show, the same episode. Shared media and all that, but the difference is that we all worked from separate project files, but when we needed to combine all the sections, we’d be able to open these separate projects and pull the separate pieces together.”
Yeah, we do the same, in 7 and Pr. I think a big complaint about X is that it’s not possible to do that. But… you can do it. It is a little convoluted at the moment, and you unfortunately do have to jump through some hoops.
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~