Bret Williams
Forum Replies Created
-
I could see emptying the trash not giving back space of its a bunch of hard link media. That is media used by multiple files which is often created by FCP when duplicating or consolidating media and libraries. It duplicates the files, but doesn’t take up additional space. So the space isn’t given back until the last file utilizing those bits is trashed.
-
A couple things-
Your workflow or needs may be different, but generally one has a library for each job. I see you have a library called current projects. Unless you need everything you’ve ever done previously for every project going forward, you likely would be better off having a library for each video or category or group of videos. That may be what you’re doing, but the labeling aibrary “current projects” of a instead of “IBM orientation” or “Super Bowl highlights video” throws up a red flag.
Another flag is that it seems that current projects seems to be in your backups folder on your internal hard drive? As you can see the library can grow pretty big (probably because you have multiple projects in it) even if media is external. Backups are small. The libraries (projects) you’re working on should go on your media drive. Most people put them in a folder with other material related to the job the library is for. Scripts, jpegs, motion projects, after effects, etc. I would use a raid 5 for the media drive or have it backed up in some way. Having the library and its backup on the system drive doesn’t do much good if it goes down. In the past it wasn’t good for performance but these days with SSDs it probably makes no difference.
To get that library off the system drive to make space, you should be able to simply drag it to your media drive. Then double click it on the media drive to make sure it’s all happy once it’s copied over. Then you could highlight the overall library in the browser in FCP and manage the media in the inspector as well. If you want it all self contained in the library bundle you’d choose the library and the location and click consolidate. But now you’re heading into media management territory that you really need to understand. Maybe someone has one of those links to a media management tutorial?
-
So far this thing is s crash fest of epic proportions. Plus it wants we to “allow” DP connection about 8 times upon launch. Then I try to import a folder of media, crash. Import XML and it shows all the thumbs, then they disappear and it can’t find any media. Search, crash. Okay, ignore missing media, click multicam window, crash.
Where the hell is the zoom tool? I need my freakin zoom tool.
Playing back. Click earlier in timeline. Nope, it continues playing where it was or maybe it stops, but where it was, not where I clicked.
Highlight clip. F match frame. Matches to some other clip. ???
I need my zoom tool.
Try to adjust clip audio in timeline on fly. Nope. And can only adjust on fly if recording audio Keyframes. I don’t want Keyframes. Just want to adjust the volume of the clip during playback.
Pretty useless so far but I’ll keep crashing it and see if anything improves.
I still need my zoom tool.
-
My playback seemed fine. Not much testing though. But in R11 the audio and playback would stutter if you moved the freakin mouse during playback. Not true of R12. I can adjust audio on the mixer too, which in R11 just basically was completely a no go.
-
While it doesn’t crash, I did import an XML of a multicam and it couldn’t find 90% of the media. Audio was a mess. Stereo music only comes out one speaker. The clips it did find don’t have sound.
Not a fair test of its editing of course, but the same sequence via xtocc retains much more data. Same held true for R11.
-
Could probably come up with something in the cheap with X built in plugs bad tv, film grain, and I think one called vhs and/or camera record. I think the free universe plugs might have something too.
-
Yeah I dunno. Most stuff is short form 3-6 min. But often I’ll have 5 related videos (projects) in the job (library). Each of those might have 5-10 versions as snapshots and each of those is usually a good bit of color correction (every shot) titles, motion templates and compounds with templates and titles/generators. Still, nothing earth shattering. Same stuff I did with FCP 7 which didn’t lag and only accessed 4gigs of Ram and no GPU.
Not sure how anyone could be using FCP7 anymore though. It’d have to be a unique environment where nobody shoots h264 variants or uses a still image over 4000 pixels.
-
Late 2012 iMac 27″ i7 3.4ghz, completely maxed with 2gig GPU, 32gigs ram, Pegasus raid, BMD Monitoring, 1TB fusion. Latest OS and FCP. Yep. It eats up RAM. Computer launches with 26-28gugs free. After launching X it quickly goes to 18-20free then after working in a large project with templates and compounds the ram drops to 4-8gigs free. Even less over time. Apple has changed the way the system reports free RAM. I used to see it get into the hundreds of megs.
-
If Resolve gets that much headway Im guessing Apple could care less. As far as they’re concerned, as long as they have a suitable functioning product that fits nicely into their ecosystem, they’re happy.
The OFX stuff, last time I checked was expensive or subscription plugs. Honestly I’m more into templates or compositing footage like dust, light leaks, etc. But I do of course have a pretty good investment in mFlare and mObject. I’m also enjoying things like mBehaviour. Stuff that lets you create your own stuff, but speeds it along.
I really would like to see fusion integrated in the same way as motion. The rigging and publishing is totally unique to FCPX. Being able to edit your text from an AE project in Premiere doesn’t even begin to touch it. If they could do that with Fusion and resolve, plus have “send to fusion,” functionality then just wow.