Bret Williams
Forum Replies Created
-
I’ve found that I can take or leave tracks. I never was much of a patcher, just drag to the timeline so that point is moot, but what I still dislike 3 years later is the the constant ripple mode. I would rarely need ripple mode in legacy. Why would I want it to be the default? But I deal with it because of the motion integration. If be just as happy with AE integration, but they lost me with the subscription thing.
Resolves non default ripple mode is insanely more powerful than X. We’ll see if the performance is there. But it’s still lacking motion graphics integration. Maybe R13 with fusion. But Xs timeline performance is pretty abysmal lately. Everything is always leggy. Maybe I have too many motion templates. But if my favorite part of X makes it laggy then what’s the point?
Resolve now has smart bins and multicam that doesn’t also slice up the audio. Real trimming, live audio mixing and so on. Tracks or not, they’re stepping up the game. But we all said this a year ago and the software was pretty useless.
-
Bret Williams
July 24, 2015 at 1:23 am in reply to: I tested the 2014 VS 2015 Macbook Pro using both FCPX & Ppro and results show FINAL CUT X ROCKS!!!I think someone is inventing something that doesn’t exist. Basically, to me, it looks like Premiere added a new button and its ability to undo everything from when you invoked trim mode. Nifty. They had to call that something and I guess “undo trim” was unclear because every little tweak could be an undo. So they called it revert trim session which to me was very clear. It doesn’t appear to me that any special nuances have been created. A different undo button perhaps. And playing back while trimming is new? I do that all the time in X. In fact I can move clips around and make edits without stopping playback. This is a big deal? Guess I’m missing something, but that wouldn’t be anything new either. 🙂
-
Bret Williams
July 24, 2015 at 1:05 am in reply to: I tested the 2014 VS 2015 Macbook Pro using both FCPX & Ppro and results show FINAL CUT X ROCKS!!!For better or worse, the two people most responsible for X coming into being are either dead or have left Apple.
-
Bret Williams
July 24, 2015 at 12:58 am in reply to: I tested the 2014 VS 2015 Macbook Pro using both FCPX & Ppro and results show FINAL CUT X ROCKS!!!Even tougher, try and get a refund when you accidentally buy a year subscription when you only meant to order a month to month.
But to their credit, I did get the refund.
-
Bret Williams
July 22, 2015 at 12:17 am in reply to: Are there any free applications for transferring a project from 7 to X?7toX is only $10. Don’t expect resolve or this app to transfer much more than basic cuts and transitions and perhaps some transforms if you’re lucky. There’s not much you can do about plugins, generators, titles and such. So if your projects are pretty basic or in the rough cut phase then it might fit the bill fine.
-
Actually looks like the background is inside the text, but offset vertically (or perhaps in time if the camera is moving around). The video within the text is brighter somewhat.
Duplicate the background and nest it in a compound clip with the text. Inside the compound, make sure the text is above the background and for the text’s blending mode in the inspector choose stencil alpha. That puts the background inside the text. Choose the background video layer and change it’s brightness and position. Go back to the main comp and check out the result and adjust to taste.
-
I had a similar issue sharing a multicam project. The client had created the project with multicam and handed it off to me. I color corrected the angles in the multicam and adjusted the audio levels of each angle as well as did a mix in the project/sequence.
When I XML’d the project back, she imported the XML into her library. It automatically saw her multicam (the original non-color corrected one) and linked up naturally. The audio and color was of course not correct in her version of the multicam.
The answer was to simply do a snapshot of the project before XMLing it to her. That breaks the link to the multicam. It actually links to an invisible multicam that doesn’t exist in the browser until you try to edit it from the sequence- at which point it will magically create a multicam in the browser. Same holds for compounds.
So the lesson for me was if you’re sharing projects via xml (or via transfer library too) it’s best to snapshot the project before creating the XML. Otherwise it could link to an older version of the any multicams or compounds. HTH
-
I’d keep the installer around unless it’s one of the companies that lets you re-download at any time. Motionvfx is an example. And even then there’s always a chance of the company going out of business. Just depends on your comfort level.
-
Bret Williams
July 15, 2015 at 3:35 pm in reply to: Looking for project naming conventions to prevent updating wrong versionI don’t rely on mod dates. I simply name all v1, v2, v3, and so on. Every export has that label at the end. Even the final master file so there’s no confusion.
Sometimes I keep all the previous projects in a keyword collection called “backups” or “previous versions” and have a keyword collection for the current project called “current version.”
In either case I always duplicate the project after a approval export and let the duplicate be the backup, and increment the current project to a higher version number. If I’m duplicating something with compounds or multicams that are likely to change, I’ll make the duplicate a snapshot so that any changes to the current project doesnt affect it later.
I put my projects in a separate event called “sequences” and usually only have one other event called “media” but larger jobs that are ongoing might benefit from more events. Especially now that we have Library smart collections.
None of this will replace diligence or prevent user error of course.
-
Bret Williams
July 13, 2015 at 11:04 pm in reply to: Text size/scale animation – Keeping vector qualityThe custom text template is essentially a blank template where you can animate anything about the text or characters individually. Check it out.