Forum Replies Created

Page 105 of 699
  • Bret Williams

    August 3, 2015 at 10:13 pm in reply to: Somebody enlighten me on pasting keyframes

    You’d think. But I copy the Keyframes. Then move to the group I wish to paste to, and they insist on pasting to the first layer in the group (which is not selected in any way) . Stumped.

  • Bret Williams

    August 3, 2015 at 12:28 am in reply to: Very big projects folder

    Sure looks like the techniques forum to me. Lost? 🙂

  • Why are you publishing something so specific to one particular shot? Or do you have a drop zone for the video and published the tracking controls too?

    If it’s just for the one shot just render it out of motion as prores.

  • Bret Williams

    August 1, 2015 at 12:10 am in reply to: Nat able to ‘add parameter behaviour’

    One of the first effects I ever made for FCPX. Make an effect, add strobe, publish it and save.

  • Bret Williams

    August 1, 2015 at 12:04 am in reply to: Very big projects folder

    Yeah I’m confused because he’s saying Library which didn’t exist in 10.0.9. Not til 10.1.

  • Bret Williams

    July 31, 2015 at 3:28 am in reply to: managing media in FCPX (10.2) still confused

    I’d open both libraries and copy it from one to the other in FCP, yes.

    Then export them all out separately like discussed.

  • Bret Williams

    July 30, 2015 at 4:49 am in reply to: Making hip hop music videos

    The more I look at it, what seems to be a grunge layer is just some camera footage. One is a zoom, one a tilt, one a pan, etc. Theres only 12 sec of footage in the whole video but I suppose that’s because it’s a fanboy lyric video or something.

    There are some built in light transitions in X or you could buy the from pixelfilmstudios or motionvfx or any number of places.

    Beyond that, just place some grungy footage over the main footage and play with the blend modes and opacity in the inspector. Looks like they applied a low color look to the footage too. X has all sorts of built in color looks you can try.

  • Bret Williams

    July 29, 2015 at 9:32 pm in reply to: This Is Interesting

    No updates. I think you missed the recall though.

  • Bret Williams

    July 29, 2015 at 6:47 pm in reply to: managing media in FCPX (10.2) still confused

    Gotcha.

    But I’m still confused as to what you’re doing with all these backups and a duplication of the library all in the same place? By default, backups appear on your system drive and occur every 15-20 minutes. They take up nearly zero space as they don’t contain the media. (You can always relink to media). So if I understand what you’re doing, first I’d delete that duplicated library called backup working. You said it contains all but one of the videos. There’s no need for it that I can see. It isn’t even a backup, it’s a nearly complete copy of the “current projects” library and takes up hundreds of gigs. Assuming the “current projects” contains everything it does and then some, ditch it. Ditch all the dated backups. They don’t contain media. Make sure you’re set the library properties to backup to user>movies>final cut backups. That’s the default. Looks like you changed it to backup to the same place as the library. Not very secure if the drive craps out.

    So now you have one library on your 2nd internal media drive called “current projects” and FCP is backing up to the final cut backups folder on your system drive.

    No you can open the current projects library and export each sequence to it’s own library with ONLY the media needed to play the sequence. Keyword collections will come with it. Highlight the sequence (project) in the event browser and choose File>Copy Project to Library>New Library. FCP X will create a new Library with only the files used to create that video. I notice you have an event for each video. So, if you’d like to create a new library that has all the media, even the shots that weren’t used, you could alternatively select the event and choose copy event to library>new library instead.

    In either case you should see a popup about how it’s going to deal with internal and external media. It looks like you import all your media into the library (based on the large size of your library). If that’s true, then your new library will have it’s own duplicate files inside the new library. However if you kept your media outside the library bundle (choosing “leave in place” on import) then the new library would link to those same external files the original library is linking to. Great for saving space. But prone to human error when trying to mange media shared by multiple libraries. Since most of your media is used once for each library, I’d continue keeping the media internally managed in the library.

    So, once you’ve created new libraries from your different projects (or events) you might want to open up each one and make sure all the media is actually consolidated in each library. You can open each library and check the library properties in the inspector. Under storage locations it should say “In Library.” Right next to it is a consolidate button. I’d go ahead and consolidate and it should tell you that there are no files to consolidate. Once you’re sure the new libraries are self contained I’d quit FCP X, toss the big “current projects” library in the trash (but don’t empty) and relaunch X and check them again before you empty the trash. I might even open a few libraries bundles at the finder level and check that the original media folder doesn’t have any aliases because I’m anal like that.

    I’d also create one more library. A library with nothing but your show template and the common media used for each show. I’d probably do this by creating a new library, then opening up one of your show libraries and simply copying and pasting just the common elements (open, close, gfx, etc.) from one timeline to a timeline in the new library. All the media and keywords will show up in the new library and be copied over as well. So this new library can either be used as a library you open up and copy elements over to each new show or it could be a template library that your simply duplicate and rename and use for each new show.

  • Bret Williams

    July 29, 2015 at 6:13 am in reply to: Making hip hop music videos

    Shoot 5 shots. Overlay panning and zooming footage of something gritty over each one. Cut between each one using the exact same light leak every time. Repeat over and over and over and over…

    That’s all I saw. Probably used a blend mode like screen or multiply or add or overlay to get the double exposed look. Then it looks like the same light leak transition every time.

Page 105 of 699

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy