Forum Replies Created

Page 132 of 701
  • Bob Zelin

    July 18, 2014 at 7:09 pm in reply to: NAS remote server

    I am very confused by your post. I am sure that NaStar in Denmark would be thrilled to give your
    university a demonstration of their product. Small Tree is a well established product, that works in countless facilities, that does shared storage for the video industry.

    So if you like NaStar, and you like Small Tree, why not buy one of these products. If you want proof of concept, why not ask NaStar for a demo of their system ?

    exactly what does your university what to know ? If they can have their IT department build it themselves, without having to purchase a system from NaStar of Small Tree, or another of the countless companies that build professional shared storage systems for the video industry ?

    I can only give you one pointer in the right direction. Tell the IT department at the university, that if they try do to themselves, they will fail. Purchase a product from a company that knows how to do this (you already suggested two companies), and you will have a working system, without any issues. If the IT staff wants to show how smart they are, and show how much money they can save the university by doing it themselves, they will fail, and you will have an expensive mess on your hands. There are lots of companies that do shared storage systems for the professional video industry, and your IT staff is not among those companies.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    July 17, 2014 at 1:36 am in reply to: MacPro 2013 Kernel Panics with Areca 8050

    this is why I love Creative Cow. Do you think that Areca would even have a clue about this type of information. THANK YOU Rick, you are a wonderful human being for sharing this information.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    July 11, 2014 at 1:29 pm in reply to: Choosing a Raid Card for NA333TB

    Hi Simon –
    what I have learned over the years, is that the companies that are able to stay in business for a long time, eventually learn their lesson. I saw the new Highpoint stuff at NAB 2014, and they have a relationship with Netstor, so I am going to give it a shot, and see what happens. I will certainly let you know. While I love Areca, it’s nice to know that you don’t have to “keep all your eggs in one basket”.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    July 9, 2014 at 9:44 pm in reply to: Where to post….Mac Network question

    eeh, Rich knows how to contact me, if he wants.

    Bob

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    July 8, 2014 at 10:09 pm in reply to: Choosing a Raid Card for NA333TB

    Hi –
    I am about to try the NA381TB with the Highpoint card for the very first time. I am awaiting the card right now. I have used this product (the NA333TB) with the Areca ARC-1882ix-16, and I assure you it works wonderfully. But I am very anxious to see how the Highpoint 2740 card works – if it will do the same thing, and if it creates the RAID properly.

    NOW – as for four drives – I don’t care what system you buy, if you are setting up shared storage, and you expect to do shared HD editing, 4 drive spindles is simply not enough to support shared storage. I built a system about 2 years ago with a Stardom 8 bay chassis, and only 4 drives, using the ATTO R380 card in a Mac Pro host. 4 drives cause stutter in the video. I don’t care if the theoretical bandwidth is 300 – 400 MB/sec, and you are only doing 20 – 30 MB/sec per stream. It don’t work. You want a reliable system – buy 8 drives, and you will have no issues. End of story. I don’t care whose card you use.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • if you have 2 Mac Mini’s with Thunderbolt ($599 a piece US), and get a couple of Promise SanLink2 boxes (10GbE) at $520 each, you can experiment at a VERY low cost – just in line with the price of the
    GH4.

    wonderful Thunderbolt DAS (direct attached storage) come from Promise, Areca, Maxx Digital and Netstor. There are smaller units from Lacie, G-Tech, OWC, and Cal Digit, that all work very well with the Mac’s.

    You will find that you will get at least 3 – 4 times the bandwidth over Cat6 cable with 10GbE than you get with 1GbE over the same piece of cable !

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    July 1, 2014 at 1:57 am in reply to: ProRes 4444 XQ

    Neil is always correct. 62MB/sec, and 1GbE (cheapo switches at Office depot, and every port you have on your Mac’s and PC’s) all do 100 MB/sec right now, so you can probably get away with a single stream of ProRes4444 XQ without doing anything. But if in fact you want the overhead, you get some 10GbE hardware, and your problem goes away instantly. 10GbE products are now starting at just over $500 for a NIC, so it’s very affordable, for doing this kind of hi end work.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • 1Gig Ethernet can do up to 100 MB/sec – which means that it can handle any 1080 resolution – like any of the ProRes resolutions, including ProRes4444, which is 42 MB/sec.

    So anyone that needs higher than 100 MB/sec (the people who need 10Gb Ethernet cards) are doing 4K work etc (and not always, as RED .r3d files don’t require more bandwidth). So you are saying that you need the crazy high bandwidth of 400 – 800 MB/sec because you are working with 4K files in some uncompressed codec or dpx, or something like that, and that means that you are dealing with ARRI and RED cameras, and you are telling me that you don’t have $500 for a 10GbE card ??????? Is that what you are telling me ? Because if I find out that you are GIVING AWAY YOUR SERVICES for working on the highest end quality that is currently being offered in the world, I will have to simply fly to Australia with a hammer, and fix this situation right now.

    Your student film does not need Dragon 6K footage, and if in fact you are a professional, and are giving away your services for virtually free (which is why you find $500 SO EXPENSIVE for the hardware that you need, when your clients work with $60,000 cameras), then you need to be punished.

    And there ain’t no thunderbolt NAS. Period.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    June 29, 2014 at 11:06 pm in reply to: Best RAID drive for RAW Cimena DNG

    your real question is “what is the cheapest way I can do this”.
    John Davidson’s offer is the best offer you are going to get, if price is the main consideration. You need a REAL RAID array, with a REAL disk drive host adaptor (cost over $900 for the card), and a minimum of 8 disk drives. I don’t care what brand you get – those are your specs for your Mac Pro to accomplish what you want.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    June 29, 2014 at 12:51 am in reply to: Thoughts on 10.1.2

    Aindreas writes –
    I don’t know enough to know – but does the, now complete, long four year walk back to what is once again effectively an FCP7 project file with basically everything else external if you want – right down to render files – solve the problems raised with the use of X in a shared facility?

    REPLY – this has been my favorite cow thread in a LONG time. It’s because of this thread that I watched all the tutorials on the 10.1.2 updates, and the new libraries stuff. I CANT WAIT to hear from John Davidson on all of this (who is STILL using sparse disk images). FINALLY, this could now (possibly – what the hell do I know) resolve all of these issues that have been going on for years.
    You can finally put stuff where you want it – gee, what a concept !

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

Page 132 of 701

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy