Forum Replies Created

Page 131 of 701
  • Bob Zelin

    August 9, 2014 at 12:19 am in reply to: support above all

    no support for you Bob. As you can see, Cal Digit did not do well with selling 8 bays, or the Accusys Super Share system. Because good support costs money, and companies that offer good support, do not get the majority of the business, because they are forced to charge more than Other World Computing (for the Mercury series – not the expensive Jupiter series which is excellent). And so, the companies that give great support suffer, because only YOU are willing to pay more – and the masses want “what is the least amount of money that I can spend for an 8 bay 32 TB drive array” – only to come to these forums to say ” I bought this drive array, and nothing is working, and I can’t get anyone on the phone – can someone help me”.
    You have seen it before, and you will see it again. So exactly who is going to support you for all eternity without a support contract ? Instead of saying “no one” – I will tell you this – most of the products, that are OEM’ed from Taiwanese companies, are EOL (end of life) before you have gotten all the value from them, so when your power supply dies from the 8 bay or 16 bay that you bought only 4 years ago – the odds today, are you will find that even if you can get GREAT SUPPORT from someone, the damn part is no longer manufacturered anymore. Do you actually think that Cal Digit (or Lacie, or ANYONE ELSE that you see advertise here on Creative Cow) has a manufacturing plant here in the US, where there are ladies making the drive arrays, power supplies, etc.), so they can make you your defective part. After a certain SHORT period of time, ITS OVER, there is no support, and you are going to buy a new one. Not like the old days, where you would get your 10 year old Sony Beta VTR repaired. THOSE DAYS ARE OVER.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    August 7, 2014 at 7:09 pm in reply to: FCPX NFS tuning

    Hi Simon – please read below

    All media outside FCP-X Library. (OK, I understand that)

    FCP-X Library also on Promise (OK, I understand that)

    Mount Promise using NFS to open up the libraries required.
    (OK, I understand that. You mounted the Promise with NFS to get the libraries on the desktop)

    Quit FCPX (OK, I understand that)

    Unmount NFS and mount via AFP
    ***WAIT – unmount NFS ? Do you mean DISMOUNT the Promise that you mounted with NFS, and remount it with AFP ? Then the libraries will dismount. Or did you drag the libraries from the Promise onto the local desktop, so you don’t care anymore ?

    ReOpen FCP-X ( libraries still open )
    *** – so you remounted with AFP. When you SAVE, it is saving to the libraries that are currently on your desktop (because if you mount with AFP, you can’t write back to the Promise via AFP when running FCP-X) – please explain.

    edit away…

    Sorry, but I would like further explanation, if you are willing.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    August 2, 2014 at 5:10 pm in reply to: Raid For Multiple Edit Workstations

    The Studio Network Solutions Prodigy comes standard with four 1G Ethernet ports. You must add drives to this system. Typically a dealer will assist you (for a fee) to make this work for you, and to show you how to use it. Most companies like Studio Network Solutions offer support contracts, that will allow you to contact them, to ask questions, and help you with problems that you encounter.

    I am unfamiliar with dealers in Austria that sell any of these systems, however.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    August 1, 2014 at 9:44 pm in reply to: Raid For Multiple Edit Workstations

    there is no such thing as a drive array that can connect to multiple computers. Period. No matter what your budget it. You can have a NAS (network attached storage), or a SAN (shared area network). This means that you will connect one of these products (discussed every damn day on Creative Cow) to a switch (no, not the $80 Netgear switch at Office Depot or Staples), and connect to the Ethernet ports of your computers that you want to use for shared storage.

    If you expect to play back video from this shared drive, you must have a multiport ethenret card, or a 10G Ethernet card, or a fibre channel system implemented in this configuration.

    While you see forums and banner ads from countless companies that advertise right here on Creative Cow (you are looking at them right now), that make exactly what you need – you may say “well, isn’t there something cheaper that I can get”. So you look at companies like QNAP, Synology and Other World Computing. These three companies make wonderful shared NAS drives, and their products (when you are done) are over your budget. The $600 QNAP NAS is NOT going to provide you with shared video storage. However, QNAP and Synology and Other World Computing (and lots of other companies that appear on Creative Cow every day) make solutions for under $10,000 that will do exactly what you want.

    But you now say “but I only have $3000 – what can I do for $3000” –
    I have a simple answer for you – NOTHING – you can’t have shared storage – period.

    Even if Thunderbolt networking worked (and it does not work), you would need a new Mac Pro ($3000) and a big disk drive array, and Corning Optiocal cables to your Thunderbolt Mac’s to get this to work. So once again, we exceed your budget.

    Sorry – no shared storage for you.

    Bob Zelin
    ps – Studio Network Solutions has a $4700 solution for 4 users, but this $4700 solution is not expandable, and does not include the drives in that price. And no, Drobo does not make anything – nor do they claim to make anything that does video shared storage.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    July 28, 2014 at 9:14 pm in reply to: FCPX NFS tuning

    Hi –
    sorry, but I just had to respond. I fully understand the desire for Thunderbolt networking to work – one reason – IT COSTS NO MONEY if you have a new Mac Pro with it’s 6 Thunderbolt ports.

    1) you still need a big fat disk drive array that doesn’t cost 500 bucks

    2) since you are not working with your other editors and graphics artists at the same desk, 6 feet away from them, if Thunderbolt Networking DID work, you would need the expensive Corning Optical Cables to connect your Mac Mini, etc. to the Mac Pro. So 4 of these cables is EXPENSIVE.

    so your costs at the end of the day would be similar to a 10 G (or 1G) system that you can find commercially available right now, when you factor in the cost of the drive array, and the Corning cables.

    The bottom line here, is that all of these stupid posts come down to one thing – “how can I have shared storage for free”. There is a simple answer – YOU CANT.

    And the next knucklehead will respond “but what if I buy a $1500 Drobo”.

    What is the LONG TERM plan for “free” shared storage ? One day (when both David and I am retired) the internet will have wonderful amazing connection speeds, and you will in fact be able to use a cloud site as your shared storage, so that you can use your FCP-X “share to iCloud”, and it will actually allow you to edit from iCloud your Blackmagic 4K media. However TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY (and neither is tomorrow) and by the time this becomes a reality, both David and I will be retired, and you won’t see these “angry” posts on Creative Cow.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • NO

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • simple answer

    NO

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    July 24, 2014 at 12:50 am in reply to: A good hardware store in LA/valley area

    I am confused by your question. There are tons of hardware stores in LA. Melrose Mac, DV Warehouse, Keycode Media. And most of the manufacturers that you see advertised here on Creative Cow are located right in Orange County, CA, just about 1 hour from Los Angeles. All more than happy to sell you excellent hardware.

    But what is your real question ? Can you show up to one of these places, and buy bare bones products at rock bottom prices, and ask them “how can I put this together, now that I just have the bare parts ?”. When you go to Fry’s Electronic’s (who has very good prices in LA), there is NO ONE there to tell you “how to do it”.
    If you were in NY City, and you went to B&H Photo, you would get amazing low prices, and the sales people there could not tell you “how to do it”. Either you know, or you hire someone to do this for you. Or you simply go to a wonderful store, like Melrose Mac, DV Warehouse, Keycode Media, etc. in LA, and SPEND MONEY and they will help you.

    So now you say “but I know that all I need are these cheap hard drives, and this cheap drive box, but I can’t figure out how to get it to work – isnt’ there a store I can go to that will show me how to get this to work, so I can have a wonderful RAID drive array, just like all these expensive systems, but do it really cheap ?” –

    The answer is NO !!!!!!!!!! Can you go to the grocery store (like Ralphs) and ask them “I want to buy this meat, and these vegetables, can you please show me how to make a delicious meal, so I do not have to go to a fancy restaurant, and pay a chef to make an expensive meal – my family is coming over, and I cannot afford to go to this restaurant, but I know that if I come to this grocery store, I can buy the same food – can’t you show me how to make it taste just as good as that chef that is charging so much money ?”

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    July 24, 2014 at 12:42 am in reply to: DIY SAN storage capacity upgrade?

    how many people have tried to help you so far ?

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    July 19, 2014 at 7:24 pm in reply to: FCPX 10.1.2 issues

    Hi Tim –
    I read your post with great interest. Can you please tell me EXACTLY where (the path) of
    .fcpcache and potentially .fcpcache.tmp.

    I have run the terminal command to unhide the hidden files, and I don’t know exactly where you are seeing these cache files. Please tell me EXACTLY where you see these.

    Thank you very much.
    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

Page 131 of 701

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy