Bob Zelin
Forum Replies Created
-
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/375/173
Wasn’t this discussed by you already ? Get rid of the Mac Mini.
Use a Mac Pro as the server. No Promise R2 – use a Promise R8.
You already own the SanLink2 boxes. This configuration works fine.
I do this all the time.Without logging in, I don’t know why your Lacie 8Big is not working.
These products are all pretty similar. If you have 8 spindles running, and you are not sharing the same x4 lane buss on the Mac Mini, you should be fine.bob zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Bob Zelin
February 22, 2015 at 3:17 pm in reply to: Are there any cost effective alternatives to a san that operate like a san?Hi Kevin –
I guess I can be pretty rude, but not to torment a server. If an order comes out completely wrong, I have no issue bypassing the innocent server, and bring it back to the kitchen myself, and say “sorry, this is not what I ordered”. Why punish the innocent ?
I am pretty polite with restaurant workers, but I am not polite with the equipment manufacturers that you see on Cow (and others), which is why you see that basically no manufacturer wants to be associated with me. After all, it’s people like you that hire me and pay me, not the equipment manufacturers. Why should I be “professional” with them, if their product sucks, or doesn’t work as promised. I need to be polite and professional to you, not to “them”.Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Bob Zelin
February 20, 2015 at 1:01 pm in reply to: LTO-6 tape for archiving | BRU PE speed & computer requirementswhat you are observing is the INSANELY long time it takes to archive, and if you archive and verify, it’s even longer. This is why many people HATE LTO tape technology. It’s not the BRU software – it’s the nature of LTO, and it has always been this way. Any other software, any other product would take this long.In these days of SSD drives, you observe LTO tape speeds, and generally say “are you kidding me”. This is every product.
Some people try to plug in an LTO drive directly into their shared storage server, and suffer the same problems that you are observing, if they are trying to use the server for shared storage while they are making an LTO.
Get the i7 Mac Mini.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Petros is correct.
There is no ATTO password. The password is the password of YOUR machine.To confirm that you know the password of your machine, simply click on System Preferences> Users, and open up Users & Groups. Click on the lock icon on the left. Open the lock (it will ask you for your password). If you can’t do this you are SCREWED.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
I pay under 70 bucks for 1TB SATA drives from mail order companies. If your data for your show that you make a living with, is not worth 70 bucks, to prevent you from losing your show, then something is very wrong. $70 bucks per show is NOTHING. Do you have auto and medical insurance ?
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Bob Zelin
February 18, 2015 at 1:30 am in reply to: Offloading Speeds on Mac Pro with mTape to LTO-6..If the price of the product I have listed above is too expensive, then I will have to kill you. Try this with your MTAPE, and let me know what happens.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Bob Zelin
February 18, 2015 at 1:27 am in reply to: Offloading Speeds on Mac Pro with mTape to LTO-6..boy – I must be missing something here. I know that I am getting old – but……….
1) The Areca ARC-1880x, 1882x, 1883x does not work with HP Ultrium tape drives. BUT you are NOT working with these cards. You are working with an MLogic MTAPE with PreRoll Post on a Mac Pro cylinder – is that correct ? So you don’t need any host controller card – it’s inside the MTAPE. this plugs directly into the Thunderbolt buss on the Mac computer.
2) Your Areca disk drive array (ARC-8050T2) has the equivalent of an ARC-1883x inside it – this is completely independent, and should be on an independent buss on the Mac Pro Cylinder.
If you DISCONNECT your ARC-8050, and just try to use the MTape with PreRoll Post to backup anything (like a USB drive) – does this work ?
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
if you are not a trained person, how are you going to restore your data, or see your data on the LTO tape.
You need Tolis BRU or Imagine Products PreRoll Post. $499 is not too much money to ask, to make sure that your critical data is being archived correctly. How much is your data worth ?Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Bob Zelin
February 10, 2015 at 12:19 am in reply to: Are there any cost effective alternatives to a san that operate like a san?oh no ! Here comes crazy Bob Zelin !
Mark – what the HELL do you mean SANmp is out of your budget ? You can buy a SNS Prodigy for $4700 dollars for 4 users This is out of your budget ? If you don’t have $4700 for a shared storage system for multiple users, then you should not be in this business.
Everyone mentioned here (SNS, ProMax, Maxx Digital, Facilis, etc. etc) has solutions for you for under 10 grand. EXACTLY WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET – because you know what you get for $1500 ? NOTHING (which is what you deserve if your total budget is $1500). And NO, you aint’ gonna get a Drobo to work as your shared storage system.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
it takes 30 seconds on an Areca card to reraid from 5 to 6, so you can try it. It’s easy, and you can do your own performance tests.
Do you want help ?
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com