Forum Replies Created

Page 154 of 242
  • Aindreas Gallagher

    May 1, 2012 at 9:21 pm in reply to: What are you thinking about CS6?

    ohhh yaayyyyyyy.

    this is what I was waiting to hear. Praise the be to the Gods, I will have my CS6 now please.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
    http://www.ogallchoir.net
    promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    April 29, 2012 at 10:51 pm in reply to: 2 million new adobe PPro seats

    I…. can actually beat that.

    I’m getting the license transferred to me tomorrow on a design premium 5.0 that I got for 250 quid off a marketing business guy who’s been trying to offload it for six months on gumtree. I have the original invoice in my hands for it. miracle.

    250 + 385 for the upgrade to production premium 5.5 before may 7th and bingo – I’m home with a free upgrade to 6.0, lovely new rather astonishingly good premiere that’s going to sprout like mushrooms everywhere over the next 12 months, and Speedgrade and alllll the other goodies.

    then I grab Symphony before 15th june for 800 quid and that’s it – home and dry in time for supper.

    yay. I say again – yay.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
    http://www.ogallchoir.net
    promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    April 29, 2012 at 10:08 pm in reply to: 2 million new adobe PPro seats

    2 million and 2!

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
    http://www.ogallchoir.net
    promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • [Simon Ubsdell] “you are so often dead right about so many things,”

    niiiiiiice. you do get that I’m bluffing in a convincing tone of voice 90% of the time right?

    you’re right in what you say – I shouldn’t use the word range at all – as you say, and Lawrence says up there too – It’s really about the cut point. And a guy who cuts drama makes your point another way – if there are a bunch of takes, you’re going to slap ins on the lot of them in sequence and then stamp them to timeline to see how they each perform coming off the previous shot – he doesn’t particularly care about the out yet, that cycle of quickly iterating the in point across multiple cuts is completely lost in X as it will flush the in points in sequence.

    It goes again to a fundamental point about who made this application, and who they made it for. This isn’t even saying that Apple, or Phillip Hodgetts, aren’t sensitive to the needs of editors, I think they don’t understand what editing is, at least not from an editor’s perspective – they see it is a categoristion and workflow conundrum, they both see the X system of ranges and tagging as inherently superior – as a media categorisation system. In a sense, I don’t think Apple have built an editing system – its a digital assets management system, its a database, its a nodal parent child hierarchical time based media editor, its a template expression of very powerful effects and design rigging in motion, its all these things, but when I work in X I feel like I’m doing all those things I mentioned, but particularly in the event and keywords, and frankly in the timeline too, I feel like I’m manipulating objects in cool ways, but I don’t feel like I’m engaging in the process of picture and sound editing as I understand it.

    see? didn’t that sound convincing?

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
    http://www.ogallchoir.net
    promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • absolutely dude, and really, shift F covers a lot of instances where one might require the persistence, I mostly found it interesting in terms of the application being so radically different that it may not be in a position to offer persistent in out cut points even if Apple were of a mind to provide them.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
    http://www.ogallchoir.net
    promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “Can you please explain to me this razor thin subtlety or marking in and out vs marking a range?”

    it’s not razor thin bud. retained in out points are exactly that and no more – they are – precisely – cut point marks – tagging a range and ascribing it a keyword or favourite moniker is a different action – you are sending a range/subclip to either a keyword collection, or a favourites list. that is an action you perform using the in out marks.

    Put another way way, the in out points form the basis of any number of actions – edits to timeline, tagging, basic mental notation – but if you click off the clip in FCPX by accident – you will be unable to perform any of those actions because the application has immediately dumped the in out points once you select another clip – in that sense, you have one chance to do anything with in out points in FCPX, they cannot independently persist – it is not so in any other editing application.

    this application, as an editing application. needs to be able to retain in out points on a clip without the process of packaging a range off to a keyword collection or a favourites collection.

    I’m going to go full Bill Davies on you here Jeremy:

    Simple as that.

    Boom.

    david referenced Larry Jordan because he specifically requested that Apple look into retaining in out points without the user being required to tag the current in out points into a favourite or other tag. Also there are other people on this thread who would like to see this basic functionality re-introduced into FCPX.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
    http://www.ogallchoir.net
    promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • i know the shortcuts pretty decently Jeremy – couching another persons different point of view in ignorance, nostalgia for an EOL product, or lack of skill or awareness becomes increasingly irritating over time.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
    http://www.ogallchoir.net
    promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “it’s obvious you haven’t tried this.”

    is it now?

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
    http://www.ogallchoir.net
    promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • yes exactly – its hard to see why there could not be a default private favourites list that we don’t see, but that is populated with the current set in out points per clip, if I go to make a favourite or keyword the range at a later point, then it would be deleted from the private auto favourite list.

    As you say – auto favourite, but I don’t even see why I would have to know. I would simply have persistent in to out points. Certain people saying for the thousandth time, that misgivings about a shortcoming in this application represents nostalgia for FCP7, I find frankly irritating and completely redundant at this point.

    Like I say – I was very surprised that Phillip Hodgetts, after thinking about it, felt it was likely impossible. there has to be way to get it going, unless there is, as Mees wonders, some real, serious problems with the database architecture.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
    http://www.ogallchoir.net
    promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “You can’t keep wrenching fcpx to be fcp7. I know that phrase is now cliché.”

    this really has nothing to do with FCP7 – the question is whether FCPX should be able to, or is capable of, retaining in to out points without user intervention in the form of keywords or favourites. The fact that it forgets the in to out markers the moment you click off a clip, unless you flood the favourites list with all your in to out points is, to my mind at least, unsatisfactory.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
    http://www.ogallchoir.net
    promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Page 154 of 242

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy