Forum Replies Created

Page 1381 of 1462
  • [Michael] “I’ve read that G-RAID currently makes the fastest hardrives at the under $1000 dollar price point.”

    It’s not that they’re fastest harddrives, but that they utilize the same zone striping technology as their big brother, Medea. Medea’s are famous for holding their speed as they fill up. G-RAID’s are doing the same.

    LaCie now has a set of SATA drives which I was supposed to test for a review, but business got too crazy here so I never did the test.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 14, 2005 at 4:15 pm in reply to: 3 seconds then nothing….

    Can your camera play this tape correctly? My DSR-11 deck cannot play back footage that’s shot in LP mode. It sounds like FCP is seeing a bad video signal so it won’t record.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 14, 2005 at 4:14 pm in reply to: color correction for dvd

    You might want to check your Gamma settings in Compressor. I find that my DVD’s match the FCP output on the Video monitor both on my computers and regular DVD players / tv’s.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • [michael] “I’ve got 2 LaCie drives. Both D2 Extreme. One is a 160GB and the other is a 200GB. Is it possible to set the harddrives up to work together… like some sort of RAID? If so, how would I go about doing this or where could I find the information?”

    First off, equal drives work best. Same model, same speeed.

    You want to add a PCI FW800 card. Connect one drive to the card, connect the other drive directly to the Mac. Now using Apple Disc Utility, Create a New Raid and drag both drives into the RAID. That’s all there is to it.

    With those two units you won’t get a whole lot of speed. Better to stripe LaCie Big Disk Extremes which have two drives inside each enclosure.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 14, 2005 at 3:24 pm in reply to: Aspect Correct from our own Clay Walker

    Just click on my head, it’s the first article in my list.

    The article was posted in the DVX-100A forum and a few other videographer forums.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 14, 2005 at 12:29 pm in reply to: follow-up powerbokk question

    [Greg] “Someone I know takes Beta SP tapes and has them transferred to DV, then edits on their FCP system instead of having something like an AJA LO. Wouldn’t that cause considerable quality loss from Beta SP to Mini DV? Thanks.”

    Yep, adds 5:1 compression to the capture. Then if you edit in a DV timeline, the graphics also take the hit and that’s where the quality loss really shows up.

    If your delivery is destined for an uncompressed format such as BetaSP, DigiBeta, etc… then you want to stay in uncompressed. If your delivery format is a DV format, then capturing/editing in DV is fine.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 14, 2005 at 12:27 pm in reply to: Low budget wardrobe change magic

    I would lock down the camera and bring a laptop with FCP to the set. Capture on the fly to the laptop so you can line up your talent to be the exact same spot by looking at a freeze of the moment you’re going to make the cut. Then have the actor perform the action and capture the new scene. Then make the edit and see if it cuts well. If not, do it again.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 14, 2005 at 12:23 pm in reply to: Tiger 4.2 and FCP5.0.2

    [gary adcock] “or you can the update menu and select “Install and Keep Package””

    Very cool, I never noticed that option before. thanks!

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 14, 2005 at 12:21 pm in reply to: Tiger 4.2 and FCP5.0.2

    [Andy Edwards] “Come on…live dangerously for a few minutes and run an ethernet cable to that machine and update it :-)”

    Actually, the Airport attenae is broken and I’ve just never replaced it.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 13, 2005 at 9:42 pm in reply to: Firewire 800 Raid

    You can read my reviews on both LaCie and G-RAID products to see some benchmarks on speed. Both products are good and will easily cut all flavors of DV / DVCPro including HD. Some of the products will run 8bit and even 10bit uncompressed SD as well.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Page 1381 of 1462

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy