Forum Replies Created

Page 356 of 427
  • Vince Becquiot

    March 19, 2007 at 4:57 am in reply to: Video fine, stills screwing up

    Keyframe and Rendering can usually be left at default if you are using standard DV footage. Optimize fields is fine.

    The progressive option will depend on what the final footage will be played on, but usually shouldn’t be used if a large part of the footage on the timeline is interlaced, as it will degrade quality. It is however the best setting for progressive animation (as long as it was exported in progressive), and stills. If using progressive, you’ll also have to make sure that the DVD encoder also uses progressive as well. In doubt, just use interlaced, lower field first for standard definition.

    Cheers,

    Vince

  • Without the Production Studio, you won’t be able to use the Dynamic Link features, which as I understand it, import is part of.

    Vince

  • Vince Becquiot

    March 18, 2007 at 11:29 pm in reply to: Video fine, stills screwing up

    I’m not sure what you mean by plain AVI, but I am guessing you are using the default setting which is Cinepack (A very old Codec of quality much worse than DV).

    After choosing Microsoft AVI, go to the Video tab below, and choose Compressor: none and uncheck “Recompress” at the bottom.

    The size will be about 10 time bigger than the original.

    At this point, you will have the best possible quality out of Premiere.

    Cheers,

    Vince

  • Vince Becquiot

    March 18, 2007 at 6:07 pm in reply to: Exported DVD has artifacts all over it

    And unfortunately, the overblown areas probably can’t be corrected. What format was the original footage in?

    As Tim said, over-saturated colors will emphasize artifacts because any noise in the video becomes suddenly much more visible, forcing the encoder to deal with much more information.

    BTW, save yourself some time on the encoding. For anything under 1 hour long, use CBR 8Mbps in custom settings under video.

    Cheers,

    Vince

  • Vince Becquiot

    March 17, 2007 at 9:29 pm in reply to: Some feed back about Vista and PP2

    Steven,

    I have to say that Premiere on this particular machine is actually amazingly fast and very responsive.

    I did hear that overall speed would decrease by as much as 30% with Vista, but so far, I am rather impressed.

    Of course, as you can imagine, I am not trying this on a massive project. This was 3 hours of DV, with about 400 pics, and about 20 additional footage files that were either in HDV, or uncompressed. I do also have two 7200 SATA drives, which allows me to separate things neatly.

    This is one other small bug that I should have mentioned. The scroll bar in the project panel cannot be dragged. You either have to use the arrows, click above / below, or use the keyboard.

    I also used DV rack on this machine as back up capture. I had to disable the AERO them to get the video to display, everything else worked out fine.

    Vista, BTW, is a beautiful interface that I am really getting to love, even if we have to give back some in terms of Ram; I did have to disable the warning features in order to get some work done.

    I also have to recommend the HP DV9000 line, (which I used to dislike). It a superb machine (although a little flimsy in some places), the dual lamp screen also makes it a perfect companion on the field.

    Cheers,

    Vince

  • Vince Becquiot

    March 17, 2007 at 3:10 am in reply to: Making short clips from a DVD?

    There is no real answer to your problem. Most DVD’s are interlaced, and converting the files to progressive will require interpolation, thus further loss of quality. In some cases, you do have to convert the files to AVI prior to a Premiere import, in others you don’t, it depends on how they were encoded.

    Whatever software you use to convert the files should allow you to export uncompressed to maximize quality. Web videos are usually converted to half resolution for bandwidth requirements, so the quality should still be descent on the website.

    Vince

  • Vince Becquiot

    March 17, 2007 at 3:03 am in reply to: end credit, over expose, etc problems

    Then simply use the level filter over “RGB”.

    Vince

  • Vince Becquiot

    March 17, 2007 at 3:01 am in reply to: Video fine, stills screwing up

    The first problem here is the DV export, which you should avoid (especially on stills) unless you are sending it back to a DV tape. If you are exporting to a third party encoder, you should pick one of the uncompressed options, either AVI, or Quicktime animation. DV is highly compressed and introduces additional noise that Mpeg2 encoders have a hard time dealing with.

    I’m not sure if Roxio has improved their encoder over the last few years, it used to be very “average”, mainly because its users were asking for speed over quality.

    The other issue with Roxio is that it tries to take over many parts of your system, meaning that conflicts with Premiere, etc are bound to happen. You should really be exporting to Mpeg2 from Premiere if the uncompressed option is requiring too much space.

    Cheers,

    Vince

  • Vince Becquiot

    March 15, 2007 at 2:12 am in reply to: How to capture stills (frame capture) from video?

    I doubt that an 8×10 print of a capture from VHS will ever look any good, I tried DV a while back, it was to put the picture of a speaker on the back of a DVD box, it looked like hell and was only 2 inches tall !

    The only real way is the use the save frame export option in Premiere. In Photoshop, you could try using the clone tool to remove the timecode. Then levels, grain remover, and a very large drink 20 minutes prior for the client 😉

    Good luck,

    Vince

  • Vince Becquiot

    March 14, 2007 at 11:25 pm in reply to: best drive brand for HD?

    I’ve been using Seagate for years without very few problems, and there are very few other drives that I can trust as much (OK, none). I had some VERY bad luck with Western Digital, although I haven’t bought one since they changed their guaranty from 4 years to one (that was a few years back, they may have improved).

    Maxtor, again, I had some bad luck with, even further back, but in all honesty, most of these companies have consumer and pro grade products, you either spend the money or take a chance.

    Vince

Page 356 of 427

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy