Forum Replies Created

Page 307 of 422
  • Ty Ford

    April 27, 2009 at 2:45 pm in reply to: Problems with audio drift in FCP from ProTools mix

    Kevin,

    Thanks for the extra effort. Yes, I too have run into similar problems with FCP. There are intake, session and output settings. There is ONE thing that I remember. I’m not sure if you have to prompt FCP in preferences with this, but upon placing your first clip on the timeline, my current FCP system asks if I want the session to have the same settings as the clip.

    Thanks again for sharing your experiences with this forum. You make us all stronger in doing so.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    April 24, 2009 at 5:48 pm in reply to: Plugging in multiple inputs to speakers

    Sorry Sam,

    This didn’t do that for you?

    Ty

    ——–
    With all due respect, Sam, doing this will directly connect the outputs of the Pro Tools hardware with the outputs of the computer’s audio out. Those outs are not designed to be connected.

    As for the manual not saying anything about NOT doing it, it probably also doesn’t say anything about not licking the power outlet.

    I wouldn’t do it. But hey, go ahead, smoke test ’em. If you smoke either or both, my guess is the mfgrs will say you voided the warranty by doing something with the gear that was never intended to be done. I’d agree.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    PS. Did I mention DON’T DO IT?

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    April 24, 2009 at 1:37 pm in reply to: Plugging in multiple inputs to speakers

    Sam,

    Perhaps if you read the entire string you’d understand. The question was whether or not it was advisable to plug a Mac output into the unbalanced inputs and Pro Tools into the balanced inputs….at the same time.

    That’s not why powered speaker mfgrs put multiple input jacks on gear.

    lets close this one out. To the OP, please contact the mfgr. and ask them the question. If they have provided the proper circuit protection, they’ll tell you and you’re good to go.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    April 24, 2009 at 10:29 am in reply to: Plugging in multiple inputs to speakers

    Patrick,

    1/4″ should be better if you use TRS 1/4″ to XLR cables. If you only use TS 1/4″ to XLR cables, the level will be 6 dB lower and because the signal is unbalanced, you might get some buzz.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    April 23, 2009 at 11:50 pm in reply to: Plugging in multiple inputs to speakers

    “The fact that these are modern day nearfield monitors with RCA inputs on them would lead me to believe that the designers likely foresaw that the user may plug multiple things into them, and therefore have some kind of functionality in place to handle this scenario. ”

    I totally disagree with that. The added functionality serves the market in which the mfgr doesn’t know which of two commonly used outputs might be available to feed the monitors.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    April 22, 2009 at 9:46 pm in reply to: Plugging in multiple inputs to speakers

    With all due respect, Sam, doing this will directly connect the outputs of the Pro Tools hardware with the outputs of the computer’s audio out. Those outs are not designed to be connected.

    As for the manual not saying anything about NOT doing it, it probably also doesn’t say anything about not licking the power outlet.

    I wouldn’t do it. But hey, go ahead, smoke test ’em. If you smoke either or both, my guess is the mfgrs will say you voided the warranty by doing something with the gear that was never intended to be done. I’d agree.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    PS. Did I mention DON’T DO IT?

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    April 21, 2009 at 5:02 pm in reply to: Good Shotgun Replacement to use on the Sony PMW-EX1

    Adam,

    More to the point, what makes the Azden not so great. Once you get out of the Azden league, provided you have good enough headphones to hear the difference. (Sony MDR7506 or Audio Technica ATH-M50)

    Specs seldom tell ANY story worth reading.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • TA4, TA5.

    These are just 4 pin or 5 pin plugs of the same basic shape. You can’t use them together. You have to get the pins right.

    Some mfgrs may use 4s on some gear and 5s on other gear. It’s pretty nutty. You have to pay attention.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    April 20, 2009 at 9:16 pm in reply to: Some pretty basic questions…

    [Larry Eisner] “I’ve got a related, but not exactly-so question.

    I’ve got access to a couple of Shure lav mics with TA4f connections. Do I need the bodypack to use the mics, if I were to get say, a Shure WA310 to convert the mic to XLR female, then a male-to-male XLR coupler, to connect that to my mixer (yes, it has XLR inputs)?

    The underlying question here is whether lav mics can be used like any other mic, as far as a wired sense, or is there something other than broadcasting going on in the transmitter body pack.

    (Can the mics be used without the bodypack, if the connections are addressed?)”

    Hello Larry,

    I have Countryman mics that I use with wireless and hardwired. I have them rigged with an extra set of connectors so I can plug them right into my bodypack transmitters or into a connector that goes into the standard hardwired power supply (which has a male XLR on the other end).

    Some of the Sony Lavs I’ve seen use the same connector on the transmitter as they do on the XLR power supply, so you don’t need an extra connector.

    That’s how you have to address the connection.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Hello Larry and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

    That connector is for attaching a dynamic mic to a body pack transmitter.

    It MIGHT work if the mics were dynamic mics. I doubt it would work if they were condenser mics.

    If you mic is MX series Shure, you’ll need the Shure RK100Pk, which goes for a little under $100.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

Page 307 of 422

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy