Hi John and thanks for stopping by the Cow Audio Forum,
You got good advice from everyone. I like his voice as well. Try the parametric EQ and bump it up a little around 125 Hz. That’ll bring up the “warmth” and mask some of the edginess. I don’t think I’d roll off any top, but you might try the parametric EQ at 6 kHz and pull down just a dB or two. That will pull back some of the overtones that are in part responsible for that edgy sound.
Don’t go overboard or you’ll muddy things up. Make sure you test your changes on a system similar to the one your clients expect to play back on.
Laptop speakers have no low end response, so if you boost the bass until the voice sounds fuller on a laptop and they play it back on a system with decent woofers, it’ll probably sound way too bassy.
Regards,
Ty
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Watch Ty play guitar