Hello Scott and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.
I doubt that you’ll find many folks all that divisive here when it comes to gear.
For the HVAC duct, start with wrapping it with sound blankets to see if that reduces the noise. Maybe you’ll get lucky. There’s a video studio at one of the local colleges with a HUGE HVAC return (4 feet x 4 feet) just outside the studio. When the system is on you can actually hear the wind whistle through the cracks around door.
Nice that you have the Neumann shotgun. 81, 82 or rsm191?
Field Mixer: How many inputs do you expect to use? I have a Sound Devices 442. 4 in and three sets of balanced outs (for feeding three cameras simultaneously) Go to the Sound Device site to read all of the features. I know of no better 4 input mixer.
Lavs: Sanken COS11 do very well. I have Countryman B6, E6 and EMW, all of which I like.
Wireless: Audio Ltd. makes the best sounding longest range wireless I’ve heard so far. I have samples up in my online archive. Their 2040 system is stunning. Lectrosonics makes great gear. Zaxcom is very ground breaking – digital, transmitters that are enabled with recording chips in case you do have a drop out.
Field Recorder: Back to Sound Devices for the 788T. 10 tracks, new solid state hard drive, (no spinning discs), excellent sound. Add on mixer interface. 744T, a four track, is in my kit.
BoomRecorder software runs on a Mac and with the right audio interfaces works really well.
Both Sound Devices and BoomRecorder record polywave files, so you end up with one icon representing all of the tracks of a take and they are synced together. Very cool.
DT100: nice phones. Impedance doesn’t always have bearing on sensitivity. The Sony MDR 7506 are about the most sensitive headphones out there and because of their sound, they are standard issue for film production. They are peaked a bit at the top and bottom. The new Audio Technica ATH M50 headphones are more natural sounding, slightly bigger and cost a bit more.
Cheers,
Ty Ford
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Watch Ty play guitar