Hello Chris and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.
With all due respect, you would be one of the few people on the planet that consider Samson wireless “trusty.” 🙂
Wireless is a wiggly thing. Your description of what each mic was doing makes me think there were at least two problems; one for each mic.
I’ve not experienced the problems you have with the Sennheiser, but having the transmitter on someone who’s wearing a wireless communicator, blackberry, etc, can PROFOUNDLY mess with a wireless mic transmitter. I like to hold the person’s gear at my station until they are finished speaking. That way I’m sure they won’t “turn it in to check for messages” during the event and hammer my wireless.
The compander issue (if that’s what it was) could have been caused by extreme low frequencies. I have had this in industrial and office buildings. The last time while waiting for an elevator inside a building at NASA, in the Maryland suburbs of DC.
The possibilities are many. Wireless mics use primary transmitting and receiving frequencies, but also have intermediate frequencies that can be interfered with. A spectrum analyzer could probably find the culprits. The compander issues are more likely related to the actual audio picked up by the mics.
Regards,
Ty Ford
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Watch Ty play guitar