Uwe,
In just about every review of a mic I’ve ever written over the years, https://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public/Gear_Reviews_Mics, I use at least two preamps to determine what a mic sounds like. More often than not, the same mic sounds different through different preamps. Mics with transformer outputs MAY be less variable, as the transformer buffers the mic’s output circuit.
AGK C414 and TLM 103 sound pretty nasty through a Mackie mixer preamp and horrible through a Focusrite Red two channel preamp. Through a GML, Millennia Media, they sound quite nice.
There can be quite a difference between “bad”, “not as bad”, “not as good” and “really good”, although being in the right position to make that call is not easy. The question always comes down to, “Compared To What?”, as Eugene McDaniels so politically put it.
A lesser mic like the MXL SD mics compared some years back, a 603 I think, sounded better through the Mackie than my GML. However, It didn’t sound as good as a Schoeps through my GML.
I forget if I have heard the 2003. MXL sent a bunch of mics to me some years back and while they looked pretty cool and sounded OK, they all suffered from that nasty little distortion so common in Chinese-made mics.
There’s also the problem of mic to mic consistency. The Chinese-made mics of the same model can differ widely.
Having said that, a recent issue of MXL, the MCA SP-1, sounds quite remarkable. You should try it. Why not send me one of your twenty 2003 and I’ll compare it with my u 89/Millennia Media?
Regards,
Ty Ford
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Watch Ty play guitar
Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!
This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.