Forum Replies Created

Page 124 of 422
  • Ty Ford

    April 4, 2013 at 2:30 am in reply to: Self-recording stick mic?

    Hello Bill,

    As has been mentioned, the HHB mic was around and no one cared. I tried it. It was sort to cool, but limited in its use.

    There’s this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840641-REG/IK_Multimedia_IP_IRIG_PRE_IN_iRig_Pre_Microphone_Interface.html/BI/8631/KBID/9745

    for your ipad or iPhone, but the headphone input, so they tell me, has a pretty big low end roll off.

    Maybe a Rode iXY mic? It uses the multipin and has more linear frequency response.
    https://tyfordaudiovideo.blogspot.com/2013/01/rode-ixy-stereo-mic-unlocks-2496-audio.html

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    April 1, 2013 at 2:34 pm in reply to: wireless frequencies to be sold?

    Hello Bob,

    Yep, that’s the way I see it.

    This is a revisitation of the nightmare I saw when the FCC first said they were going to auction off the 700MHz band because their researched showed *no one was using it. By No One they meant they had no filed registrations by users.

    There was this panel at NAB one year that was to air this out. I was not on the panel but I was in the audience as a user and as a journalist. There was a member of the FCC on the panel and some of the wireless mfgrs. and/or distributors, as I recall.

    I challenged the FCC guy by saying that if he simply took a look at the unit sales for wireless mics from the mfgrs in the room, it would be obvious to him that there were many times more professional users out there working everyday that the skimpy list of radio and TV stations who comprised most of his list. I reached out to him sometime later by phone only to hear he was retiring and wouldn’t have to worry about the problem. (not that I thought he was worried about it then.)

    He was like so many crushed and eviscerated federal employees doing their jobs, keeping their heads down, and praying for early (and full) retirement.

    You could say (and some did) that because the industry is comprised of competing mfgr companies whose job it is to outsell the others, that forming an aligned committee to front in a way that the FCC would ::sigh:: have to recognize might work, and some have tried that. Looks like the FCC are deaf to the pleas. It will probably take a more powerful organization to get their proper attention.

    I’m thinking maybe kick it upstairs to the various film academies to send some big name actors to congress (Sorry, I know congress should be capitalized, but I don’t think they deserve it. I live in Baltimore and the smell from down south when the wind blows up this way from DC is never pleasant.)

    Said actors would titillate the committee and there would be a big deal about how having spectrum for their work is essential. Back room deals about which actor would step out in favor of this or that politician or his/her legislation would occur and we’d get us some spectrum…..maybe.

    Mfgrs will, as they have before, wait for the new terrain before deciding what to do. It wasn’t THAT long ago that wireless mics were fixed frequency. Now, because of this very issue, they are spread spectrum. Mfgrs need to roll with the punches in order to manufacture and sell gear so they stay in business, but there’s no need or reason to offer solutions when even the near term fate is uncertain.

    Smoke ’em if ya got ’em! Please feel free to circulate this to anyone.

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    PS: I find it only slightly amusing that I’m making this statement on April 1st

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    April 1, 2013 at 1:17 am in reply to: wireless frequencies to be sold?

    Bob,

    I’ve been smelling that breeze for a while now, but don’t have any facts. An easy NYC-centric story to write and fill space with.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    March 29, 2013 at 10:14 pm in reply to: Humming Noise

    Hello Cody and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    There are many possible origins for hum.

    If your gear and the sound board are both running on AC and plugged into different outlets, that can result in hum. Even if you are on batteries and the house is on AC, you can still get hum. Google “ground loop” and read up on that.

    Bad connections can cause hum.

    Lighting systems can cause hum.

    If you can hear the hum in the PA, and the board is feeding the PA, you’re probably going to get hum from the board.

    The levels will be all over the place depending on which console output you use.

    Dealing with a house sound feed is always a challenge.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    March 29, 2013 at 12:36 am in reply to: Problems with h4n phantom power

    Hello Tom and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

    Try the Shure on another device that supplies phantom power. If it doesn’t work there either, you have your answer.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    March 27, 2013 at 5:09 pm in reply to: Zoom H4N very hissy sound with Sony ECM-44B

    I think this is pure science.

    The Sony is much less sensitive than the Rode. -53dB versus -38 dB

    As a result, if you have it wired correctly and powered properly, the Sony requires much more of whatever preamp you have it plugged into.

    To confirm this, try plugging in a Shure SM58. With its -54dB sensitivity, it should cause the same hiss problem. If the SM58 works, then it’s a problem with that 44B.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    March 25, 2013 at 3:06 pm in reply to: NPR Audio Gear Auction NOW!

    Andrew,

    I sort of doubt the list contained gear they’ve been using recently, but if so, the new NPR should sound a lot better.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    March 24, 2013 at 7:58 pm in reply to: NPR Audio Gear Auction NOW!

    Well no one said they were actually using the gear on the list.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    March 23, 2013 at 10:51 pm in reply to: NPR Audio Gear Auction NOW!

    or the junk yard. 🙂

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    March 23, 2013 at 10:43 am in reply to: NPR Audio Gear Auction NOW!

    Bill,

    Right you are!

    I went over that list about a dozen times and was surprised to find that there was NOTHING I really wanted. 🙂

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

Page 124 of 422

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy