Hello Friedrich,
Thanks for the flowers! 🙂
I boomed the shot, moving the mic as needed. The blocking of the hat brims of the baseball caps caused me to pull the mic a bit farther out and angle it a bit more.
I had to coach the talent the talent to listen to each other to balance the volumes of their voices. On the rehearsals, he was much louder than she was. Even if I had had a two person audio crew, one booming one mixing, it wouldn’t have sounded right. He pulled back a bit and she projected a bit more. He was still a little louder than she was, so I kept the boom more on her side, even when he was speaking. A slight boom move and twist of the wrist to angle the mic to him, then twist down and move slightly to get her worked best. The final audio you hear has also been slightly compressed and limited in post so that it pops. I gave the post house my secret recipe.
I had two blankets spread out on the floor, the refrigerator turned off and the wall clock (TICK, TOCK, TICK TOCK) moved to another room.
Regards,
Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog