Forum Replies Created

Page 121 of 422
  • Ty Ford

    May 19, 2013 at 2:33 pm in reply to: Sound recorder

    You will be disappointed by the mE/K6. That’s for student films. The NTG3 is much better than that.

    The AKG BLue Line may be an option, if they are still around.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    May 19, 2013 at 1:14 pm in reply to: Sound recorder

    Hello Nikos,

    This may help you with understanding about mics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaUSXP-a3hA

    You can use a locked down boom or lav for a static interview. It will greatly improve the quality of your sound.

    Here’s how to rig the boom. https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gl46vmss7gpx9x/Ty%27s%20Boom.mov

    You have to download this video to see it. DropBox will play the audio, but not the video.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • Ty Ford

    May 19, 2013 at 3:44 am in reply to: Sound recorder

    Hello Nikos and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    I’m told the 5D Mk iii audio is noticeably better than the Mk ii, but I have not made a test yet.

    The NTG-3 is worth the extra money for a shotgun. You’ll also benefit from a non-interference tube boom mic like a Audio Technica AT4053b or Audix SCX-1HC.

    Your audio will not improve much until you start using a boom mic and getting closer to your talent. A camera mounted mic, no matter how good, just won’t do it.

    Unlike cameras, audio gear lasts a long time. If you’re doing professional work you can’t afford to buy cheap.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    May 12, 2013 at 3:50 pm in reply to: Mystery feedback?

    Richard,

    I don’t think I’v ever seen you hyperbolize! What fun!

    I see Sound Devices gear as Ford, GM, Cadillac, not made of unobtanium or youcantaffordium. 🙂

    I have never owned a Nagra. Given the amount of time you’ve been collecting and using gear, I daresay, much of it is well above Behringer quality.

    That your device seems to work properly is a good thing. That many others have made similar complaints about this device and the whine tells us you got lucky. At best, perhaps computer systems are all so subtly different that Behringer’s R&D money was exhausted well before they went to market with this device.

    Bottom line. Noisy interface with evidence pointing to a compliance issue.

    Perhaps you would favor us with an outline of your bits and pieces and settings to see if that would resolve Rich’s problem and be of continued aid to anyone else who landed here with the same complaint. Are you running Mac or PC?

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    May 12, 2013 at 2:31 pm in reply to: Mystery feedback?

    Hello Rich and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    Hate to say it, but Behringer doesn’t have a sterling reputation for gear. I normally don’t even bother to read about their products due to the rip off of the Mackie mixer some years ago.

    After reading your post, I googled UCR202 and whine. Among many posts the ones below should give you a real warm and fuzzy that you are not alone.

    https://forum.cockos.com/archive/index.php/t-51568.html

    https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=69080

    So, it appears that it’s not feedback at all, but caused or generated by the UCA202. You can’t expect too much from a $29 converter I/O box. If you’re not doing professional work, it doesn’t matter as much.

    If you are doing professional work, you can’t afford to “buy cheap.” A real I/O box like the Sound Devices USBPre2 costs many times that of a UCA202 but is engineered and built properly. See here:

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734341-REG/Sound_Devices_USBPRE_2_USBPre_2_Microphone.html/BI/8631/KBID/9745

    It’s not the only USB I/O out there, but it’s solid and you won’t have to make excuses for it.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ah! Well do a test and see what happens!

    Remember you have three levels to “gain stage” properly. The input level of the transmitter. The output level of the receiver and the input level of the recording device.

    I’m not saying that’s what happened; just what could have happened.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Is it possible I turned the Transmitter levels down too far? I did have the transmitter set at -18db in order to make sure I didn’t get any clipping. The mic I used was a Pearstone ME2 Omni Mic that I bought from Amazon.

    What did the levels on the transmitter and receiver read?

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Hello Johnny and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    You say…”I was using a Zoom H4n and was using a Y splinter coming from the transmitter. I tried to set 1 xlr track to -6db then the other to -20db.”

    A Y splitter from the transmitter?

    How did you try to set one track to -6 dB and the other to -20dB? With tone or just talking? Peaks of talking set at -20dB will certainly result in under recording and unless you have a truly great recorder, you’ll be down in the noise floor with lots of hiss.

    What camera were you using?

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    April 27, 2013 at 12:27 am in reply to: When two mic’s leak into each other… fixing in post?

    Hello Justin and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    Over here we call it “checkerboarding” because the audio tracks are staggered like the squares on a checker board.

    Yes, you can do this in FCP and no you don’t need to cut the audio files. You use the pen tool, click on the lower left corner to activate the visible volume line. After a little practice, you get quite handy at “dotting” and dragging. You can do crossfades and overlaps and really make very nice transitions.

    MInd you there are other things in FCP that irk me, but I have learned to work around most of them.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader.

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    April 23, 2013 at 3:05 am in reply to: Shotgun mics and motorsport

    Hello Cal and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    It think it’s a numbers game. In this case SPL numbers. The mic you’r talking about has an SPL limit of 112dB 1 Khz @ MAX SPL. Any sound above that level will distort in the mic. I’m guessing the starting line exceeds that.

    Probably..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_drag_racing

    ME66: the Sennheiser ME66 Short Shotgun Microphone Heads online from Video … SPL (1 kHz): 126 dB

    NTG2: 131dB SPL (@ 1kHz, 1% THD into 1KΩ load)

    Both the ME66 and NTG2 (I’m guessing you really meant NTG2 not NT2), probably not.

    Maybe something like the Audio Technica AE3000 that, with its pad engaged can withstand 158dB SPL.

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298844-REG/Audio_Technica_AE3000_AE_3000_Large_Diaphragm_Cardioid.html/BI/8631/KBID/9745

    Worth a shot.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

Page 121 of 422

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy