I was crazy long before I met you.:)
You can use a hyper outside. In fact, if you’re anywhere there’s a lot of middle and low frequency noise around you (traffic, machinery,, etc.)and you want to isolate the voice from the noise, you’re better off with a hyper or super.
The Schoeps cmc641 is one of the best. I’ve used it outside and inside. Outside, with a black top parking lot on one side and a huge glass window on the other, a hyper or super will do better than a shotgun.
Shotguns are said to have “reach.” Well they do have high frequency directivity, not no where near as much as much directivity with mids and low, so that stuff gets into you audio in a very unpretty way.
If you can’t get a schoeps get an AT4053B or Audix scx-1 HC and get wind gear; a zeppelin and a fuzzy.
Regards,
Ty Ford
Crazy Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog