Forum Replies Created

Page 109 of 422
  • Ty Ford

    November 13, 2013 at 11:43 pm in reply to: MixPre-D and Windows 7?

    David,

    I explain that in my book. You push tone from the mixpre-D. It shows as 0 on the MixPreD meter. Notice that the meter on the MixPreD goes to +20. So when you adjust tone on your camera to -20, you can now run audio on your mixer to +20 on it’s meters and that will be up to 0 on your camera.

    Make sense?

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    November 13, 2013 at 12:52 pm in reply to: MixPre-D and Windows 7?

    Hello David and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    -12? I’m pretty sure the MixPre’s 0 should be -20 on your computer’s “meters.” Where are you seeing that it should be -12?

    There may be a technical note about Windows 7 on the Sound Devices web site. I suggest you give them a call this morning and let them help you get back on track. They’re very good at that.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    November 10, 2013 at 4:00 pm in reply to: GY-HM650U … a simple physical measurement needed.

    Thanks Ron,

    I appreciate your time and passion.

    Your 600 and 650, they are just a few features away, but basically the same?

    Have you done any chroma keying? I think I would want to do some virtual set work.

    I also heard that the zoom rocker is a bit abrupt at the beginning and end. I like doing that sort of move. Having not be smooth would be a problem.

    Thanks again for your report.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    November 8, 2013 at 2:22 am in reply to: GY-HM650U … a simple physical measurement needed.

    Thanks Ron,

    I have a friend with a 750. He likes it, but has said he notices noise in the blacks. He’s not sure if there’s an adjustment he can make. Any thoughts there?

    Second, a lot of people I talk to about this are either right or are Canon/Sony/Panny snobs. To them, JVC is just not on the same level. They point, in this case to the 4:2:0 of the 650, saying 4:2:2 and 1/2″ sensors make a big difference.

    Your thoughts?

    Regards,

    Ty

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    November 3, 2013 at 10:30 pm in reply to: Sennheiser MKH415 or MKE600?

    Hello Justin,

    The 415 is very old school. I’d opt for a Rode NTG3. It has a slightly wider pattern than a 416, though, if that’s a concern.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    November 3, 2013 at 10:27 pm in reply to: Good Audio Quality for Narrated Video + Office Interviews

    Søren

    Was that recorded with a Rode Podcaster? If so, you’re fine.

    .03 per word is cheap. I don’t charge by the word. I charge by time in the studio, starting at around $399 for a half hour.

    Here are my demos: https://www.tyford.com/Ty_Ford_Talent_Demos.html

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    November 3, 2013 at 12:48 am in reply to: Good Audio Quality for Narrated Video + Office Interviews

    Hello Søren and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    Yes, you are quite correct. There’s a lot to achieving good audio just as there is with good research.

    You need awareness, tools and technique. Plug and play research really doesn’t work as well as research that takes more time and is done with more exacting standards.

    So, USB mics sort of work, but they usually aren’t as good as a real mic with a good preamp and A/D converter. By limiting your expense to $200, you are limiting the quality of your results. OTOH, you may not need great results. 🙂

    Not everyone is a skilled and gifted narrator as well as a good recordist. You can find people who will work for free. You will usually get what you pay for. You can find professional narrators with studios who can do a good job and save you the trouble.

    So, sure, buy a mic and begin to learn what proper audio recording is about. Just don’t put your job on the line….yet.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    October 26, 2013 at 2:02 pm in reply to: Rode NTG8

    Hello Brian,

    I have. The Rode NTG-8 and MKH 816 both leave bigger dents in people’s skulls than the MKH70.

    For comparative sound samples, go here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qhw4zrjmeoun9ye/inR3lsnwNF

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    October 17, 2013 at 12:32 am in reply to: Wirelessly transmit audio from a soundboard to the camera

    Well said, Peter.

    While working with hotel AV staff here, they usually don’t listen with headphones, only speakers where ever they are in the space and yes, pots up.

    One speaker was clearly off mic and when I brought AV’s attention to it, it was like they didn’t hear it. I don’t know where that mic was, but it wasn’t on the guy speaking. We could hear him Waaay off mic.

    story 2: I was hired by a shooter to corral the AV audio and feed it to his camera. I did. As we started he was shocked that my levels hit -6 and told me it would distort. I told him I’d put it anywhere he wanted, but that I was listening to the headphone return and it was not distorted.

    He said, “NO! This is digital. No peaks over -20! (yes, no peaks over -20!!) I told him that I’d do that but only under protest. Things got pretty chilly after that. He emailed me later that the first part WAS distorted. I replied that he was probably trying to bring audio in from a line level into a mic level input on his editing setup. I told him to rewind the tape in the camera, plug in headphones to the camera and listen. If the first section was distorted, then his camera was way out of calibration. Besides, even if it was, I wold have heard the distortion. I never heard back from him.

    Audio is a mystery to some people. Because of this. I have a job.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow AUdio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    October 16, 2013 at 4:27 pm in reply to: shotgun mic for indoors/outdoors aplications

    It’s Ohm not Om.

    The Sony MDR7506.

    Buy now.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

Page 109 of 422

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy