Tom Wolsky
Forum Replies Created
-
Tom Wolsky
April 21, 2006 at 1:15 pm in reply to: i invite discusion: does apple know about these “issues”Get one of those hot old dual proc G5s and put the coffee on the box. I thought that’s what it was for.
All the best,
Tom
Author: “Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials” and “Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop” Class on Demand “Complete Training for FCP5” DVD
-
Tom Wolsky
April 21, 2006 at 1:12 pm in reply to: i invite discusion: does apple know about these “issues”As far as I know they always show you the frame after the playhead. (Except in FCP at the end of the sequence for some reason that escapes me.) That way when you’re at the start of the program the playhead is at the beginning to the left of the first frame of the program that you’re looking at. Some people want the marked in or out to allows occur at the playhead, and others want the in and out to behave differently from each other, which is what it does now in FCP.
I suppose you could have the playhead to the right of the frame, so you’re looking at the frame before the playhead, then it would behave correctly at the end of the sequence as it does now in FCP showing you the last frame. You could do that, but then when you marked an In point for a frame the mark would have to go to the left of the frame not where the playhead is, which would be kind of weird behavior, but not unlike what FCP does now with the out point. Then the out point would be interesting. Would you mark it as FCP does after the frame you’re looking at, which would be at the playhead in this instance? You couldn’t mark it like the in point in front of the frame you’re on because the application probably wouldn’t let the playhead move past the end of the sequence if there was nothing there. I guess you could force it to go one frame forward into black so you could have the playhead to the right and be able to mark the out to the left.
All the best,
Tom
Author: “Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials” and “Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop” Class on Demand “Complete Training for FCP5” DVD
-
Tom Wolsky
April 21, 2006 at 12:57 pm in reply to: i invite discusion: does apple know about these “issues”In your example Jeremy where you want to mark an out at the end of the sequence you should use Shift-O in the timeline as that takes you to the out point, or the last frame of the sequence. The End key takes you to the magic frame, or the frame past the end of the sequence.
The down arrow key doesn’t take you to the end of the shot, it takes you to the next shot, to the in point of the next shot or gap or whatever.
All the best,
Tom
Author: “Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials” and “Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop” Class on Demand “Complete Training for FCP5” DVD
-
Tom Wolsky
April 21, 2006 at 1:37 am in reply to: i invite discusion: does apple know about these “issues”You’re talking about marking an edit point in the timeline and you’re referring to how it edits to tape. Yes, that’s the way tape works. So let me ask you, in your view, if you’re marking I/O for a clip opened from the browser into the viewer, you would find the frame where you want the shot to end and then go forward one frame to the frame after that shot, maybe the first frame after a shot change, to mark your out point. Is that what you want? That would be consistent with what you’d like it to do in the timeline. Or would you like the viewer out point behavior to be different from the timeline out point behavior? Currently they’re both the same.
All the best,
Tom
Author: “Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials” and “Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop” Class on Demand “Complete Training for FCP5” DVD
-
Tom Wolsky
April 21, 2006 at 1:09 am in reply to: i invite discusion: does apple know about these “issues”That’s right, because the down arrow does not take you to the end of the shot which is where the application marks an out point. Your previous message said it “should show you black” which I took to mean it didn’t show you black. It doesn’t show you black if you’re at the end of a sequence; personally I wish it would rather than the end frame. I would also mean that playback would stop in black rather than the last frame, which would make record out simpler, but that’s another story.
The down arrow takes you to the next edit event, and what you see is the first frame of the gap between the shot. You want to go to the last frame of the previous shot. When you see black in the frame in the gap you also see the first frame overlay to tell you you’re on the first frame of the next edit. If you mark an out point it includes that frame.Talking about milliseconds, the two keys we’re talking out the down and left arrow key are side-by-side.
All the best,
Tom
Author: “Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials” and “Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop” Class on Demand “Complete Training for FCP5” DVD
-
Tom Wolsky
April 21, 2006 at 12:54 am in reply to: i invite discusion: does apple know about these “issues”I’m sorry I raised your ire. I don’t know you, just what you’ve written, and I gather from your first messages that you’re new to the application, so I have no way of knowing what you know or what you don’t know.
I’m sorry the O key does not include an extra frame. What you want for it is to include one less frame, one less than the frame you’re looking at. So if I’m marking I/O on a shot I have to go one frame past the last frame I want so I can mark the out point.
Yes, in a sequence Shift-O takes you to the end of the sequence. In the viewer it takes you to the out point.
It’s actually not the way you edit film. On a Moviola or Steenbeck you can mark before or after the frame, and most editors will mark to make the cut after the last frame they want.
All the best,
Tom
Author: “Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials” and “Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop” Class on Demand “Complete Training for FCP5” DVD
-
Tom Wolsky
April 21, 2006 at 12:43 am in reply to: i invite discusion: does apple know about these “issues”This is only instance in which the application does not show you the correct frame. It shows you the so-called magic frame, the frame before the playhead. That’s why the blue overlay indicator is used to show you you’re on last frame, while the playhead is on black.
All the best,
Tom
Author: “Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials” and “Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop” Class on Demand “Complete Training for FCP5” DVD
-
Tom Wolsky
April 20, 2006 at 9:47 pm in reply to: i invite discusion: does apple know about these “issues”I wrote a lot because i tried to make it as clear as I could as you seemed to have difficulty understanding how the application works.
You want to save a keystroke in one place, but you’re going to add more keystrokes in other places.
Fortunately your wish is not going to be met.
All the best,
Tom
Author: “Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials” and “Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop” Class on Demand “Complete Training for FCP5” DVD
-
Tom Wolsky
April 20, 2006 at 8:04 pm in reply to: i invite discusion: does apple know about these “issues”It has to do something. If the clip is slowly down and the shot length is unchanged then something has to get trimmed from the shot. It can’t be any other way. Why would you run out of media if you’re slowing the shot down. You might run out of media if you;re speeding up the shot. By 90fps are you talking about speeding up a shot to run through more frames, or are you trying to indicate an overcranking to create slomo. It’s not really applicable to an digital NLE.
No, you press the left arrow key before you mark the out point. It’s not that hard, and there are little indicators in the overlays telling you exactly what frame you’re on.
It wasn’t intended as a low blow. I worked on tape machines years ago. It’s a way of working that I was used to, it’s just not very logical to me in a software system. I don’t see why you say marking an out point works differently. It always work the same way as far as I can tell. It always includes the frame that’s on the screen. I think the function you don’t understand clearly is what happens when you go to an edit point. The playhead is always in front of the frame you’re looking at. The in point marks the clip at the playhead in front of frame to include the frame you’re looking at, and the out point always marks the edit after the frame you’re looking, to include the frame you’re looking at. It always behaves this way. The down arrow key that many people use to go to the end of a shot, doesn’t actually go to the end of the shot. The down arrow key takes you to the next edit event, and what you see is the first frame of that edit event. So if you want to mark the end of a shot, you’re one frame past the end of the shot because you’re on the first frame of the next shot. So to go to the last frame of a shot you can either use Shift-O to go to the out point if that’s appropriate or use down and left arrow to go to the last frame.
All the best,
Tom
Author: “Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials” and “Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop” Class on Demand “Complete Training for FCP5” DVD
-
Tom Wolsky
April 20, 2006 at 6:32 pm in reply to: i invite discusion: does apple know about these “issues”What would you like it to do with the speed change? In slomo do you want to cut off the clip from a defined distance from the In point? Or cut from the front based on the Out point? If it’s a speed up, do you want it to leave a hole in the sequence?
I like the way it behaves, and I would not want to have to switch back and forth with some preference setting. If you don’t want to change the duration execute as a edit into the timeline. It’s really not a big deal, having to switch prefs back and forth between the two functionalities would be a big deal and a pain. You could have multiple options in the speed dialog window, but personally I don’t think it’s worth the time to code it. I’m much rather see effort go into something else, but hey, that’s what feedback is for. If enough people want it, it’ll get done.
The out point function can either be done one way or the other. It would be onerous to have a toggle that switched it from one behavior to the other. Personally I prefer the logic of the interface as it behaves currently than the antiquated mind set based on tape machines, but again, that’s what feedback’s for.
All the best,
Tom
Author: “Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials” and “Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop” Class on Demand “Complete Training for FCP5” DVD