Forum Replies Created

Page 287 of 350
  • Tim Kolb

    August 26, 2006 at 12:18 am in reply to: [Help] Arggh exporting/rendering out from Premiere 2.0

    [Darksharp177] “I’m just dropping the files in Nero Burning Rom and burning to DVD. I’m not creating a working DVD. It’s just a DVD disc used as a file transfer storage disc to the TV stations.

    The problem is before I get to DVD, it happens after I render it. Like I said I am just rendering to an AVI and MOV file formats.”

    So where are you seeing the bars? On the computer screen? Are you playing it out to a video monitor? Are you looking at it in Windows Media Player?

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 25, 2006 at 9:48 pm in reply to: [Help] Arggh exporting/rendering out from Premiere 2.0

    How are you going to DVD? Are you using it as a raw data storage unit or are you creating an actual video DVD for use with a set-top player, etc.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 25, 2006 at 6:07 pm in reply to: [Help] Arggh exporting/rendering out from Premiere 2.0

    What are you outputting to…FW deck? Out some analog card?

    Also, just for clarification, your project settings are PPro DV…4:3, .9 pixel aspect, 48kHz?

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 25, 2006 at 6:04 pm in reply to: what plugins would you want ?

    I’m a fan or ProFound Effects (Useful Things, Camera POV, Gak Pak) The Trapcode stuff all works very nicely…Sapphire plugins are also excellent.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 25, 2006 at 4:29 pm in reply to: The proffesional look?

    [Blub06] ”
    I think I hit a nerve, the truth hurts.

    In the early 90’s Vilmos Zimond was interviewed in American Cinematographer, saying, today with the new film stock and lenses its easy to create beautiful images, its still hard to tell a story.

    Sounds right to me. He was responding to a question regarding how the new stuff made it easier. He acknowledges the effect of the new stuff, and how utterly irrelevant it is in being a Cinematographer.”

    He, he…yeah, well if that is true, wouldn’t you guys be out putting us technique guys out of business instead of here asking us how you make your pictures look like you’re a professional? You have the gear, correct?

    Vilmos Zimond is a guy with obvious experience and talent and he’s probably forgotten more than a lot of guys will ever know. I suspect his remarks were aimed at other experienced professionals…not anyone who wants to buy a prosumer HDV camcorder for $1500.00.

    If the camera or gear could do it by itself, virgilxavier would be taking our work instead of asking for our advice I would think…

    Good luck with your career if you plan on creating it based on tape stock or a particular camera model.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 24, 2006 at 6:31 pm in reply to: The proffesional look?

    Hi Leo,

    I don’t think people intend to be insulting…they just simply don’t know.

    My point to them is that no one expects someone off the street to buy the world’s most expensive stove and become Emeril or the highest quality paint brush and be Picasso, but Emeril could probably blow you away with something he made from left overs on a campfire and I suspect Picasso could create compelling imagery with Crayolas.

    I think the field itself has propagated some of this. Part of the standard marketing throughout the mid-late 80’s and all of the 90’s was the infamous “equipment list”. You could have a 9 year old who barely knew anything beyond playing Pac Man operating, but if it was on a Media Composer…you could book it. We had Media 100s and we regularly got pushed out by the pitch that Avids were the only “professional” system…even though in many cases our professional credentials were superior.

    Don’t even get me started on Sony cameras or Sachtler tripods…

    All of this hardware-oriented posturing is coming home to roost for the mid-level production shop, which must now come to terms with the fact that anybody with some cash can buy this gear these days…but then, as I wrote in my very first article on the Cow…the equipment has always been a commodity no matter what it cost.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 24, 2006 at 3:23 am in reply to: The proffesional look?

    [virgilxavier] “another movie Full Frontal by sondbergh that meets the “look” criteria
    “turns out he’s shooting with a “bare-bones” XL-1s with a Century wide-angle attachment from Birns & Sawyer. The editing for the movie is being done on Final Cut Pro 3.0.””

    Interesting…I thought the parts of full frontal that I saw looked a little rough actually…

    There are lots of publicity stunt sort of projects going on out there with prosumer equipment over-achieving. We actually made a video with the Z-1 the year they rolled it out at NAB that was shown in the Sony booth. I was stationed in the Adobe booth so they were sending people to me with questions…it was very odd.

    The most heard remark was “I can’t believe you made those images with a $5,000.00 camera.”

    My response was “I didn’t.”

    I made those images with a:

    VERY skilled Director of Photography
    a professional gaffer
    two grips
    two stylists
    a steadicam rig
    a doorway dolly
    …and a 3 ton grip truck (relatively small equipment truck-cube van loaded with lights and related gear…HMIs, tungsten, silks, rigging, etc.)

    …and me (directing).

    Oh yeah…and a $5,000.00 camera. Never mind the crew and gear cost more for one day than buying the camera outright.

    Cameras CAPTURE images…YOU make them.

    People have to understand that technology will NEVER trump technique.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 24, 2006 at 2:50 am in reply to: Memory related issues

    There is one known issue (in my experience) with the AJA Xena drivers that causes memory problems in DV (software) editing mode…That one is being worked on.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • I think my point was that I never go back to the Techsmith codec…wmv is easier to distribute.

    I’ll assume you have Premiere Pro…you need to go into custom settings tab in the new project setup window and under editing mode pick “desktop”. Then set your framesize to whatever it is that you have there…and if it’s 15fps, you may want to select a 30fps timebase instead of a 29.97…see how it works.

    Then under video rendering you have to set the codec you’ll use to edit in…I now remember why I was editing uncompressed…

    I was combining some other footage that was DV with the Camtasia stuff and it was the easiest way…BUT

    If you are simply editing Camtasia stuff you can pick the Techsmith Capture codec from the list…that way you can simply edit and export to Techsmith if you want. I hapen to like wmv as a distribution format myself, but it’s all about what works best for you.

    This should do it I would think…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 23, 2006 at 8:08 pm in reply to: Monitor Window Only Shows Green Screen

    The card has some RT functionality that you would be rendering in PPro 2, and the DV500 Pnnacle card does use a proprietary DV flag on the files.

    It’s up to the user of course, some updates may seem excessive. But I prefer to run an OS and/or applications I can at least get support from the manufacturer for…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

Page 287 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy