Forum Replies Created
-
[JNeo25] “Does my Mac still think like a woman? Yes. But a GOOD woman that wears an apron, and nothing else, whilst cooking up awesome dinners every night. Does my PC still think like a guy? Yes, but instead of James Bond, he’s Larry, the plumber who is too fat to get to the pipes in the kitchen that broke and has that exposed buttcrack issue.
I’ll still keep a PC around, mostly because it runs FrontPage, which I need to do quick webpages. My hot mama is my Mac. She’s got the hottest set of RAID’s you’ve ever seen. Hubba hubba.”
LOL! That is the funniest thing I’ve ever heard! JNeo25 wins…
(I’m a PC user at the moment after deserting Mac…but Apple should buy this scenario for their two guys spots)
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Sorry…”UI” means ‘user interface’ so what I was saying is that you can spread your software work area across two screens, and with the Parhelia APVe, you still have a video output monitor as well…a triple head card.
I’m glad you found the book useful. We tried to get one out with version 2 but I simply ran out of time to devote to it. In that market, if the book isn’t on the shelf the day the software releases, it’s tough to sell enough copies to make it worthwhile. Also…PPro may be the software with the most books published about it ever… so there are so many alternatives out there that it’s tough to stand out in a crowd that large.
The Russian version of the book just came out with the notes for version 1.5 incorporated…
I’m also working on another book for more general use right now and I just got done tech editing one on HDV, so considering this is my “side” job…I’m keeping busy certainly.
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
The Matrox Parhelia will do dual heads for UI…plus a video monitor output.
…and it’s not expensive.
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
No…I won’t jump you again on this topic…
However, the point I was attempting to make still stands and is even echoed in this thread. You’ve now had everything in this thread from car-mounted lighting to feature film full day=one scene to back to the same spot 3 times to see the moon.
My original point was that it wasn’t really any “settings” on the camera that make a shoot look “professional”, and in all your responses please notice that there is no mention of even what model camera was used much less settings…
As far as the capability to make incredible looking footage with “lesser” cameras…the DP that I mentioned and I worked on a relatively major market industrial shoot a while back…nearly two weeks of work with a small, but adequate crew (5) and a 3 ton truck. We shot the entire thing with a Sony Z1 with a Red Rock Micro prime adapter.
The skills of the DP were able to make the shots look very aesthetically pleasing…even a bit film-like (we did NOT use the CineFrame 24 mode) and the client was, I think, surprised at what they saw and how much they liked it.
There are so many attributes that make images look like they do…
Perhaps one point might be a good place to start. Real life does not allow the key light to always be 30 degrees off center-front. In the case of drama, there are often light sources in the shot that are blown out. The principal light source may be behind the subject. A small bounce card to strictly reveal detail in an actor’s face may be all that’s necessary as it may make perfect sense for the principal light to be behind the subject if the sun is outside a window or a street light is behind the actor at night.
Car commercials, like all product showcases, feature a product and the “hero” shot usually demands some sort of fully realized frontal lighting. Dramatic lighting that mimicks reality is a different animal.
My personal suggestion to you would be to look around you every day and note where light is coming from in restaurants, or your office, or the street outside. Note how the highlights on a person’s hair are so bright that they look white to your eye on a sunny day when they are walking with the sun at their back. Notice how a person’s natural downshadows on that same sunny day are affected by a white car that bounces light onto them, or how their look changes when they walk under an awning. Notice how someone looks as they walk across a parking lot at night past the overhead lights front lit, then back lit, then front lit again. Look at how the very blue light of the sun paints a room that is otherwise illuminated by incandescent or fluorescent lighting and how the whole room is a series of color temperatures, not one uniform “white balance”.
After you’ve made some observations…start lighting with only a piece of white presentation board and the sun, or only ONE light, augmented with a large white board…we use the regular 4’x8′ sheets of white styrofoam to use as fills…and we cut some in half to 4’x4’…we also use black foam core boards when a person is simply lit “too flat” and there is no ratio to cut some light…commonly referred to as “negative fill.”
Learning how to manage light will change your images faster than anything else.
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Are you watching the RAM preview on the video monitor output from the Xena or on an interface monitor?
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Sounds like an adventure indeed.
Premiere Pro will load QT files as long as QT is on your system. They’ll render, but you can get them in…
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
[Arson XL] “mac is popular with people who think gooder is a word”
LOL!
I believe the Mac argument has an edge in the virus department because those who write viruses like to have some effect on the world.
🙂
I think the funniest thing in the world is that the integration of the Intel processors have pretty much revealed that the “Megahertz Myth” was actually the truth…which we found out when we switched from Mac 6 years ago.
If/when there is an advantage to switching back…I’ll switch.
However…the price reductions have made the new Macs cheaper PCs than Dell. I suspect the Mac will start to sell into areas it may not have in the past.
So Charlie…which computer is metaphorically “still attached to the cow”?
LOL!
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Tim Kolb
September 26, 2006 at 1:00 am in reply to: Scale down a video in Encore? Is it possible? I hope so as I’ve already rendered!Sorry…
Encore does no digital effects.
You’ll have to do this in PPro.
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Tim Kolb
September 23, 2006 at 4:33 pm in reply to: Bad Firewire port – need cheap camera with RCA inputsMy thought exactly, though you still might want a cheap DV camera for direct FW transfer…I’m not sure how plentiful they are at the bottom end with analog inputs.
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
If bankruptcy is imminent, the court can order the return of all assets, it’s even fairly common that they recover any large payments made in the last 60-90 days from creditors who have already cashed the check to redistribute the funds across the full range of creditors. The harddrive could be recalled by court order…or it may be so small as to not be bothered with…as it seemed by the phone call you referenced in your UPDATE post.
I’m sure that $1700.00 is a lot of money for you as it is to me, but depending on how big the company is and what the liabilities are, and how old and overdue some of those liabilities are, it may not even make the list. On the other hand, if they paid you right now and went bankrupt, the court could easily recall that money to be redistributed to other larger/older creditors.
Again, depending on how large the company is, $700.00 worth of new harddrives may not be a larger financial item than a week’s worth of office suppiles. I ran a small production business with 12 employees in the 90’s and 700.00 would have been about 10% of my monthly health insurance premium for the company, and that doesn’t count salaries, rent, vehicles, lease payments, etc. My monthly overhead in ’98-99 was around $15,000.00 and that was without buying new assets, that was just paying ongoing operating expenses.
The harddrives shouldn’t be used as an indication the company is not broke. A large business has large expenses and items that seem substantial to you and I might simply fall through the cracks for a large business.
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net