Forum Replies Created

Page 166 of 350
  • Tim Kolb

    September 15, 2009 at 8:20 pm in reply to: cs4 impossible to edit hdv in mpeg format, extremely slow

    You could also try CineForm. They make an excellent intermediate editing codec.

    I’m not sure what you meant by “convert it to MPEG for easy editing” as MPEG is typically pretty stressful on smaller systems…lots of proc power necesary.

    Did it start as something other than HDV?

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 15, 2009 at 7:57 pm in reply to: Over/Undercrank VeriCam and the AJA

    Everything the Varicam shoots is technically 59.94p. It doesn’t matter what frame speed you’re actually shooting as far as I know…the tape always moves at the same speed.

    That said, I’ve never brought in over- or under-cranked footage via HDSDI into PPro (The DVC ProHD presets are for P2 cams as you stated). I would wonder if you could simply capture it and the set the interpretation to the proper framerate in the bin…

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 15, 2009 at 7:51 pm in reply to: AE previews

    Is the entire range staying rendered, or are you cycling frames because the buffer is full when you’re previewing in HD?

    How much RAM is on that display card? 256MB? 512MB?

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 15, 2009 at 7:47 pm in reply to: Why Can’t Export h264 PAL 1080p?

    Are you using Adobe Media Encoder? CS3 or CS4?

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 12, 2009 at 3:28 pm in reply to: Premiere CS3 won’t render HDV timeline– emergency

    Exporting to QuickTime can be troublesome for unexplained reasons on some systems…

    I’ve gone to a system where I’ll export an uncompressed AVI (in your case I’d also specify “1920×1080” to get the material into square pixel aspect), and then run it through QT Pro. It’s the best 29.95 (USD) you’ll ever spend.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 8, 2009 at 12:51 pm in reply to: Is the Sony EX3 worth the extra…?

    [Steve Wargo] “The EX-3 kicks ass, by the way. It simply puts the HVX-200 series on the moon.”

    The EX-3 is a nice camera, and a camera that is simply a derivation of the EX-1.

    The main differences are that the EX-3 has an interchangeable lense, and they’ve put an eyepiece over the LCD panel that is on the EX-1 and removed the viewfinder that is on the back of the EX-1 (which no one that I know of uses because the LCD is so good.) There are a few other control location differences, but the two are more alike than different.

    On the other hand, with some ingenuity I can get my EX-1 in a Kata CC-191 bag which fits neatly into a commuter jet overhead compartment. Try that with another camera that is accepted by Discovery and the Beeb.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 8, 2009 at 1:25 am in reply to: Premiere Pro CS4 and Xena LH A/V sync

    Well…keep in mind that CS3/4 edits EXcam natively, so it’s not like your rig can’t cut it.

    I’ve been converting for output up to now anyway as the xena didn’t support it natively in past versions.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 8, 2009 at 1:13 am in reply to: analog output levels

    That’s odd…obviously the blacks should change between NTSC and NTSC-J.

    Are you running CS4 or CS3?

    If you are running CS3, can you put in drivers from one version back?

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 6, 2009 at 1:10 pm in reply to: Are we ever going to get preview HDV during capturing?

    …or the prosumers are heading toward AVCHD.

    HDV is not like DV in the sense that DV actually turns the FW cable into a real-time video conduit. HDV is being moved as data and when you’re previewing, you’re decoding on the fly. When you capture, you’re transferring zeros and ones and adding a decode/view step in there would have to be a parallel process.

    I’m not sure how many other NLEs have come up with a way to view HDV when capturing…I assume that some can. It’s been a while since I worked with HDV myself.

    I’ve never captured AVCHD through a cable, so I have no idea how that might work.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 4, 2009 at 1:25 pm in reply to: Export time unusual?

    There is a flyout menu on the right side of the encoder setting dialog where you can choose whether or not to keep XML data…it takes for freakin’ ever so i keep that unchecked. It should get rid of the 4 hours before getting out of the gate issue…

    as far as transcode goes…Cineform is certainly an advantage for the computer…much easier to process. It would probably speed your transcode out as well. It sounds as if that’s most useful for next time though.

    For this time, I’d just say that AVCHD is aggressively compressed and takes an immense amount of processing (more than HDV even) and changing codecs and doing the HD to SD scaling will likely take some time.

    The only other thing I can suggest is an outboard transcoder like sorenson, or you could try QT Pro (a screaming deal to have anyway) and use a master AVCHD clip from PPro, but it would be a big file.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

Page 166 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy