Forum Replies Created

Page 141 of 350
  • I think you’ve gotten it pretty much like it is…

    A school has the responsibility to teach students skills they can use…so I suppose that needs to be front and center. What is more likely to get a student a job?

    The world does seem pretty focused on FCP at the moment. I’ve done some pretty long form stuff in PPro (2 hours…3 hours…), so that’s a bit of a myth. There have been some odd issues over the last several versions with some large footprint project files, but I’ve found that to be based on factors other than sheer length of timeline or number of assets.

    Premiere has had timeline markers since a version that I can’t even recall…FCP just got them. It’s all in what you need and what you’re used to…and no app is flawless.

    I would say that adding Adobe with an updated FCP would likely be a better route than switching from FCP altogether… I’m an Adobe user and I use FCP very little, but the current trends are self-evident.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    April 3, 2010 at 1:56 am in reply to: playing lossless format in premiere cs4

    Yes…he said he bought the system to play back HDV files, but is frustrated that he can’t play animation QT and uncompressed HD files…

    HDV has the bitrate of DV (25 Mbps)…uncompressed can run as high as 1.2 Gbps…

    Obviously we have some confusion about the relative bitrates between these filetypes. HDV can run from one 7200 rpm drive easily enough…but even a basic RAID will have a challenge with uncompressed HD. A fairly massive 7 or 8 drive array will typically run about two streams of uncompressed HD…two vastly different filetypes.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    April 1, 2010 at 3:08 am in reply to: Why does Premiere suck so bad??

    What frame size are you outputting too?

    I assume the file is 640×480 square pixel capture?

    Give us some more information and less hyperbole.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    March 31, 2010 at 12:34 pm in reply to: A Flip camera that’s competitive with DSLR’s

    [Mark Suszko] “Flip Megamax model 4110. The dual-system sound costs extra, and you have to re-erect the picture in post, but this according to all the PR experts on blogs is the new “Red Killer”.”

    That is the funniest thing I’ve seen this week. Do they make a rig for my GoPros?

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    March 29, 2010 at 2:51 pm in reply to: Adobe Premier Pro CS3 crashing my system randomly. why?

    The sound blowing out is an interesting symptom…

    I know there have been audio cards over the years whose malfeasance transcends sound in certain configurations.

    After you check on the heat issue (there is a particular issue with a certain driver set for NVIDIA that doesn’t seem to throttle up the fan when needed), you might want to simply internet search your sound card and Premiere Pro and see if there are any similar complaints…

    I’m not familiar with NVIDIA gamer cards in general, but the model you specify is definitely at the bottom end of the product line. I don’t think it’s out of the question that it just may be stretched a bit too far…

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    March 29, 2010 at 2:40 am in reply to: memory in adobe

    [Brian Louis] ”
    Premiere 7 is still sold by people
    https://www.websoft.ws/P33/Digital_Video/Premiere_7_Pro_XP.html“

    Those would be thinly disguised pirates…not “people”…and certainly not Adobe.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    March 28, 2010 at 6:51 pm in reply to: memory in adobe

    Hmmm…I never thought of that, but that’s a good point. Premiere v5.5 used to come up fairly often in the old days…while Adobe went from 5.1 to v6.0.

    I guess we’ll know more when Donna lets us know what she has…

    I do think there is some potential for it to be Premiere Elements 7, which is the current version, though I don’t really know much about troubleshooting Elements…

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    March 27, 2010 at 11:58 pm in reply to: memory in adobe

    Wow…First, thanks Brian. Direct feedback on training for software apps is often difficult to come by. I’m glad that the training is working for you.

    Second…Donna, technically, there really isn’t a “Premiere 7” so to speak, Adobe changed the name to “Premiere Pro” after Premiere v6.5, and then they kind of started over…and now the versions are all designated as the suite version “PPro CS3 or PPro CS4,” etc.

    I did notice that the initial version of Premiere Pro had some areas of the software where the name change had been overlooked and “Premiere 7” was evident in some places as I vaguely recall. If you have Premiere Pro v1, that is about to become 5 versions old in a couple weeks . There may indeed be issues with a newer operating system like Vista came along well after any development for PPro v1 had ceased.

    The other possibility is that you have “Premiere Elements 7” which is really designed more for an enthusiast than everyday, hardcore video production.

    If you have the first version of PPro, I’d recommend making the leap to a newer version, though if you have Vista 32 bit, the next version of PPro won’t run on it as it’s 64 bit only. If what you have is actually Premiere Elements 7, I’ve done some training on that, but I’m less knowledgeable about what all the nuances are of it’s behavior under a variety of conditions.

    So…do you know which one you have?

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    March 27, 2010 at 4:40 pm in reply to: memory in adobe

    I’d like to know what version of Premiere you’re running…on what Operating System?

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    March 26, 2010 at 3:33 pm in reply to: SDHC cards-questions

    Hi Marek,

    I have MxM adapters…

    Can I ask how volatile a process upgrading the firmware on an EX1 actually is? I’ve seen forum posts indicating the camera never completes the restart in the middle…Sony repairs now needed, etc.

    I hate to mess with it if it’s not dependable… On the other hand, I’m aware that following instructions is usually helpful and that can be where problems arise for some…

    Thanks

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

Page 141 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy