Forum Replies Created

Page 109 of 426
  • Steve Connor

    September 5, 2015 at 4:45 pm in reply to: I wish FCPX adopted these Premiere Pro features

    I hope you’ve sent that list via the feedback form!

  • You can now resize the text input box for titles, a small but welcome change!

  • Steve Connor

    September 3, 2015 at 6:48 pm in reply to: iPad Pro?

    [Nicholas Zimmerman] “I’m personally hoping for something akin to Logic Pro X’s Logic Remote. To me that makes infinitely more sense than a full on native iPad client.”

    I wonder if it might be a bit of a both?

  • Steve Connor

    September 3, 2015 at 6:48 pm in reply to: iPad Pro?

    [Bill Davis] ” I used to think that in order to get psychologically “immersed in the flow” of my editing – I needed a Cinema Display (or two!) and now I get the exact same experience every day on a 15″ retina screen. And the experience is MORE fluid and immersive now.”

    So you prefer editing on a laptop rather than 2 cinema displays? or do you mean you prefer working on a laptop on FCPX rather than FCP7 on two cinema displays.

  • Steve Connor

    September 1, 2015 at 8:44 pm in reply to: please explain the new business model to me

    [Aindreas Gallagher] “Bill, this might be the time to do our long agreed switch where I argue X and you argue Premiere. The bookies odds are actually pretty sweet right now.”

    (Sound of Four Horsemen approaching)

  • Steve Connor

    September 1, 2015 at 5:54 pm in reply to: please explain the new business model to me

    [Scott Witthaus] “My question to the “enlightened ones” is what happens when Adobe raises the monthly rental fee? It’s gonna happen, right? Sooner or later the way to raise revenue is charge higher prices. Everyone cool with $69 ($800+ per year) or $79 ($900+ per year) per month? “

    No and at that point I and many others will unsubscribe and the model will no longer work

    [Scott Witthaus] “And if you’re not cool with that, you lose what you paid for and your projects are gone?”

    I would have planned to switch NLE’s for new projects and I won’t care about the projects I have finished on PPro because they are finished! If I need to access them I’ll pay a months subscription and pass the cost on to the client.

    Do you seriously think that those of us who subscribe haven’t considered our options?

  • Steve Connor

    September 1, 2015 at 8:20 am in reply to: please explain the new business model to me

    [Don Walker] “Steve,

    I visit this forum almost every day, (yet seldom post), and I’ve always had you pegged as being firmly in the FCPX camp; has that changed? If so, why? I ask because I am always tempted to move to Premiere, but stay with X because I find it a more enjoyable edit experience, and I find Motion far more intuitive than AE.

    don walker”

    Hi Don, I am still firmly in the FCPX camp as, like you, I enjoy editing in it. I also prefer Motion but the lack of “send to Motion” has meant it doesn’t matter what NLE I use. At the moment I’m about 50/50 on PPro and FCPX.

    The main Production Company I do work for uses PPro, so I have to use it when the Projects are likely to be finished in-house, but there are other reasons I use it too:

    I mostly work on an older 2008 Mac Pro with ATi 7950 Radeon card and SSD boot drive, FCPX works very well on this system apart from very slight delays in timeline operation, especially when there is waveform redrawing. Since the latest updates I don’t get any beachballing but the slight delay persists, especially on longer projects. When I edit in PPro there are no delays at all, the timeline is buttery smooth. I know FCPX wants the latest hardware but even on my 2013MBP the timeline in PPro is smoother. I’m hoping this changes when I finally get a new Mac Pro

    I don’t have fear of tracks that some have, I do prefer the magnetic timeline, but going back to tracks is no big deal, especially when you can “pancake” timelines.

    Customizeable workspaces in PPro are very useful, for some projects having more than one bin open at a time is an advantage and I love the fact that you can simply press the Tilde key and get a full screen timeline.

    “Send to Audition” is very useful as is the excellent “warp stabilize”

    I’m not a particularly organised Editor, so FCPX’s organisational capabilities aren’t such a big thing for me, although skimming in FCPX is!

    I like the CC options in PPro, especially the new Lumetri Panel.

    I also like to have more tools in my toolbox and I think the relatively small monthly rental cost is worth it, although If I had to choose one to use it would still be FCPX.

    However if that rental cost starts to rise I will be quite happy to unsubscribe at any time.

  • Steve Connor

    August 31, 2015 at 3:58 pm in reply to: please explain the new business model to me

    [Mark Suszko] “Flexibility. Being like liquid water; taking on the shape of whatever contains you, without losing the essence of what you are, what you like to do. I am fatalistic but also optimistic at the same time. I’m fatalistic about the continued commoditization of our *processes*, thanks to corporatism, globalization, and an internet that means cutters in Michigan now compete with those in Mumbai, or Romania, or wherever… around the clock, for the terrible wages the Mumbai guy or gal is happy to take. hard to blame the Mumbai guy who just wants to feed his family and lives and sleeps on a doorstoop when he’s not in a cybercafe editing.

    Rates will continue to race to the bottom, thanks to the greed of clients, and ever-cheaper baseline technology access. So we have literal hordes of competitors out there, beating us on rates every day. That’s the gold-diggers. Where’s our equivalent of the shovel-sellers? Is it in managing people and assets to do this work? Is it in literally selling them more and better tools and training?

    Maybe the analogy is sports, and older pros, needing to stay connected to the Game, moving out of playing into coaching or the front office?

    The part I’m optimistic about is that there is more and better Television being made now than arguably any other era in the history of the medium. Experimentalism is up, new shows are designed around smaller niche audiences, but also, their very structure is informed by an internet audience versus a broadcast one. LA has always attracted too many actors, but now, more people have the potential to become their own producers. I think we’re talking about a perceptual shift here, and some of us are unwilling to make it because change is deeply terrifying and uncertain. I like certainty. I like security. Nothing wrong with it.
    “

    An excellent post Mark, sums things up nicely

  • Steve Connor

    August 31, 2015 at 3:44 pm in reply to: please explain the new business model to me

    [John Rofrano] “As soon as you fall on hard times, you loose your ability to get work because you can’t afford to rent the tools to get the work you need. That’s why I don’t use Adobe tools anymore.
    “

    Which is why I use FCPX and Motion as well as Adobe tools, I like to have options. I do understand why people like you and Jim don’t want to subscribe though.

  • Steve Connor

    August 31, 2015 at 1:35 pm in reply to: please explain the new business model to me

    [Dennis Radeke] “[Aindreas Gallagher] “you really should see Premiere lately. Adobe have laid murderous ground.”

    Thank you as always Aindreas.

    Jim, I wish you all success on whatever software you land.”

    Bet you never imagined that Aindreas would be an advocate!

    Just like to add my praise too, it’s development pace has been stunning and I really enjoy using it now.

Page 109 of 426

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy