Forum Replies Created

Page 148 of 285
  • Simon Ubsdell

    November 22, 2013 at 1:01 pm in reply to: Problem with Particle Trail and Short Motion Path

    It certainly does seem to be a limitation that the Emitter only works in full frame increments rather than subframes.

    But to do what you are showing there you’d be better off using an Airbrush outline and animating the last point offset or using a write-on behavior.

    You won’t get the steppiness of the Emitter routine if you go that route, no matter how fast you make the animation, and it really is a great tool for creating swooshes, much better than trying to do it with the Emitter.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    November 15, 2013 at 9:40 pm in reply to: The FCP-X 10.1.0 nexus?

    [Dave Jenkins] “I exported a 30 second clip from both iMovie and FCPX 10.0.9 iMovie export the clip in 5 seconds, FCPX exported in 30 seconds. Same computer same clip in both programs.”

    Yes, exporting from iMovie is blindingly fast, even with the previous version. Way quicker than X.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    November 15, 2013 at 9:25 pm in reply to: The FCP-X 10.1.0 nexus?

    [Steve Connor] “I’d seen the same, but the new one seems substantially faster, the redraw of the filmstrip pictures and waveforms in the timeline is massively faster. I’ve done a few edits over the last few weeks on PPro CC which has a pretty smooth timeline, iMovie feels just as fast.”

    Great! Here’s hoping that plays through into the next version of FCP X – desluggification is probably the feature I’m most looking forward to.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    November 15, 2013 at 9:17 pm in reply to: The FCP-X 10.1.0 nexus?

    [Aindreas Gallagher] “steve, when you say the new imovie is fast there below – do you mean in operation – that its more responsive? Because even on decent hardware – I’ve found that a bit of a bug bear with X. I do personally find the timeline more sluggish than I’d like in click drag operations.”

    I’ve always found iMovie to be more responsive than X with the same material on the same machines – but that’s not to say that it is.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    November 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm in reply to: The FCP-X 10.1.0 nexus?

    [Steve Connor] “Perhaps that’s a better way to say it, iMovie was the basic framework for FCPX?”

    Exactly.

    It’s silly to overstate the case either way but I think this gets it just right.

    It’s still a very deal deal to be the basic framework for something so radically different.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    November 15, 2013 at 7:46 pm in reply to: The FCP-X 10.1.0 nexus?

    [Steve Connor] “Whilst I understand that FCPX is a derivation of some of the concepts first used in iMovie”

    But the point is that X uses all the key highly original design concepts pioneered by iMovie essentially unchanged, so “derivation of some of the concepts” is not really correct at all.

    There was a lot of big talk about how the code had been rewritten which somehow managed to obscure this obvious and fundamental fact.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    November 15, 2013 at 6:23 pm in reply to: The FCP-X 10.1.0 nexus?

    [Bill Davis] ” to make that point, you have to imply that there’s little difference between the capabilities of iMovie and the capabilities of FCP-X – a claim that I’d dispute.”

    To say that the design ideas are one and the same – which they are – is of course not to argue that they have the same capabilities.

    Although of course the latest version of iMovie has “capabilities” that have leapfrogged what X is capable of!

    [Bill Davis] “I admit to being pretty ignorant about iMovie.”

    I think you’d be very surprised at how good iMovie has been for a very long time. It’s not X but it’s a hugely impressive piece of design – precisely the design that went into building X. Which is why you like it so much.

    [Bill Davis] “it’s like saying that the underlying technology is the same between a 22 caliber pistol and an army field artillery piece. “

    I think that’s the wrong sort of analogy. The relationship between iMovie and X is the same as between the Ford with the family-sized engine and the exact same model Ford with the alloy wheels and boy racer engine. Not really that different at all when it comes down to it.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    November 15, 2013 at 5:53 pm in reply to: The FCP-X 10.1.0 nexus?

    [Bill Davis] “if Mr. Ubillos used iMovie to work out ideas – then refine them to take their place as editing aids for professionals in FCP-X”

    … except that there wasn’t all that much refining of the ideas at least not to the degree that I suspect you are claiming.

    Those ideas were the same ideas except in the eyes of those who really want to exaggerate the differences.

    In fact I’m not sure how much X has evolved beyond the original iMovie design ideas even now – sure we’ve got new features built on top of the iMovie design foundation but the fundamentals of the design haven’t changed at all.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    November 15, 2013 at 1:50 pm in reply to: The FCP-X 10.1.0 nexus?

    [Bill Davis] “the whole iMovie Pro” language spasm that blew up when X was released”

    By this I take it you are referring to the wholly correct deduction that all the ground-breaking design concepts in FCP X, which make it different from every other NLE out there, were lifted wholesale from the pre-existing iMovie design (and of course rewritten for the new app).

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    November 13, 2013 at 9:22 pm in reply to: shift+cmd+F

    [Bret Williams] “Know what’d be great? If the timeline didn’t start playing when you pressed shift+cmd+F. “

    Absolutely,

    A really annoying “feature”.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Page 148 of 285

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy