Forum Replies Created

Page 126 of 285
  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 11, 2014 at 9:58 pm in reply to: X and Motion as a Flame “front end”

    Thanks, Richard 🙂

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 11, 2014 at 9:02 pm in reply to: X and Motion as a Flame “front end”

    [David Mathis] “I just wish Motion had expressions”

    Out of interest, what common operations do you undertake where you feel the lack of expressions in Motion?

    Not that I don’t also wish that Motion had them … but there might be other ways of achieving what you’re looking for with the existing toolset. Possibly.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 11, 2014 at 8:28 pm in reply to: X and Motion as a Flame “front end”

    Many thanks, Shawn. Much appreciated.

    For anyone else who might not have visited, here’s today’s tutorial which takes its cue from one of Andrew Kramer’s for creating plausible volumetric lighting and adapts it for use in Motion, in the process discovering a pretty nifty trick for creating an expression-type parenting situation:

    https://youtu.be/u2X3cIKY3Y0

    And here’s an earlier tutorial which looks at volumetric lighting from a different but equally interesting perspective:

    https://youtu.be/uHjQplfDO-8

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 11, 2014 at 7:23 pm in reply to: X and Motion as a Flame “front end”

    Thanks, Charlie.

    Your beer is in the post;-)

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 11, 2014 at 6:59 pm in reply to: X and Motion as a Flame “front end”

    A couple of the comments to that article bemoan the absence of more advanced tutorials for Motion which leads me nicely to the opportunity for a shameless plug my own free YouTube series:

    Motion Tutorials from Tokyo Productions

    Inspired by Andrew Kramer’s videocopilot series, I’ve tried to take a look a how you can use Motion for advanced motion graphics and compositing projects. Mark Spencer’s Motion training is of course a brilliant resource, but if you want to develop your skills beyond just the point of knowing how to use the tools, then maybe these worth a watch.

    OK, I’ll get my coat …

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 8, 2014 at 11:58 am in reply to: Default text color

    [Tom Fox] “I like that favourites method. For me, I think that, for pure mass data entry purposes (I am doing a lot of titles on this edit) the opacity workaround works quite well.”

    All a matter of personal taste, I suppose, and what works for you is always the best way of doing it of course, but unless you are happy with the size, justification, tracking, line spacing, position, style, etc. of the Apple default, using the Favorite method is likely to be a huge timesaver.

    In fact, I’m very glad you brought this point up because I will be using it from now on. It’s great to be able to instantly access a preset for a given client or project. I can’t believe I didn’t think of working this way before.

    Here’s an example of a display style that I’ve saved as a preset:

    And here’s the Favorites Menu where I can just grab it instantly any time I want in any project, and then of course edit it in any way I want:

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 7, 2014 at 4:04 pm in reply to: Default text color

    Quite a handy trick. I think I might adopt it myself for text as it’s useful to be able to start from a custom base.

    Of course, as you will know, but others may not, you can store almost anything in Favorites, including really complex groups. Very useful if you frequently use similar set-ups.

    The only thing to be aware of is that the length will be the length of the project you save from – this often catches me out, so it’s best to make a project that’s decently long before you export to Favorites.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 7, 2014 at 3:55 pm in reply to: Default text color

    [Robin S. Kurz] “By defining it as a favorite it’s already in the menu.”

    No, it’s not. The Favorites Menu can hold items that you just pull down from the Favorites pulldown that sits between Object and View. Putting something into Favorites does not automatically populate this menu,

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 7, 2014 at 3:47 pm in reply to: Default text color

    You could always put it in the Favorites Menu and simply pull it down from there – seems pretty quick to me or at least not much more arduous than clicking on the Text Tool.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 7, 2014 at 3:37 pm in reply to: Default text color

    My mistake – didn’t read the post properly.

    The simple way of doing this would be to make the chosen text color/style whatever into a Favorite and save it to the library. I can’t recommend Favorites strongly enough. Huge time saver.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

Page 126 of 285

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy