Forum Replies Created

Page 2205 of 2285
  • Shane Ross

    December 27, 2005 at 8:03 pm in reply to: the giddy edits

    One thing I find myself doing is watching the program I spent 5 weeks editing as it airs on TV. I must have seen the darn project several dozen times…to a point where I could quote it front to back. I went to the color correction (or did it myself), I attended the mix and gave notes…and watched it both as it was output for color and output for sound. Yet, when it airs, I not only get giddy when I see it (and my name…I’ll NEVER get over that) but I find myself watching it all the way thru. Just to see how it airs, I suppose.

    And yes, I too think “Man, I could have done that better,” or often I get struck with an amazing storytelling device…as it airs.

    It is tough when you work on a show with 3-6 other editors (as I often do) because you see something and go “I wouldn’t have done that.” Or better yet, you go “I wouldn’t have thought of that…COOL!”

  • Shane Ross

    December 27, 2005 at 6:55 pm in reply to: the giddy edits

    Like you, most the time I edit these shows with tight deadlines and no story (the company prefers FLASH and PIZZAZ over content most the time….but not all the time…depends on the producer) and those can be tedious, but every now and then a great project happens along and I am in bliss. But if I am stuck in the middle of a “bad” project, I tend to shoot something for myself and edit it.

    Editing is my life, I am so glad I get paid to do it. Although it can be tough when your career is also your hobby…

    Shane

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 25, 2005 at 11:33 pm in reply to: upgrade to FCP 5

    Just a minor correction (sorry Tom) but DVCPRO HD can be editing with FCP 4.5. The reason it is called FCP HD is that it added native support for capturing DVCPRO HD over firewire.

    For HDV you need FCP 5. But all other forms of HD could be edited with FCP HD with the use of an HD capture card.

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 25, 2005 at 11:30 pm in reply to: G5 Hi-Def advice

    What form of High Def? DVCPRO HD? Then external firewire 800 or External SATA RAID. And a bit more RAM.

    Uncompressed HD? HDCAM? Then you’ll need a fibrechannel RAID, 2GB more RAM, an HD Capture card, HD monitor…

    None of this is cheap…believe you me…

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 24, 2005 at 6:05 am in reply to: FCP to AVID DS question

    Well blw me down! I didn’t know that.

    Thanks for correcting me. I’ve never transferred footage that way, only with an EDL or via Automatic Duck (the Duck is WELL worth it).

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 23, 2005 at 10:46 pm in reply to: FCP to AVID DS question

    YOU can export to the Animation codec. Mind you, the file will be HUGE.

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 22, 2005 at 6:04 pm in reply to: Computer audio through firewire deck?

    Not that I know of.

    Shane

    “There’s no need to fear, UNDERDOG is here!”

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 22, 2005 at 5:24 am in reply to: FCP BAD CRASH!

    First off, get that co-worker fired. What they did was downright bad. OK, not fired, but a good talking to at least. Why the heck were they deleting files?

    Your first course of action is to REpair Permissions with the Disk Utility, and then run FCP Rescue to trash and rebuild the FCP preferences (google it). If that doesn’t work, then you might need to trash FCP and all it’s files (NOT YOUR MEDIA OR PROJECT FILE) and reinstall. If that doesn’t work, then a clean re-install of the OS and FCP might be warranted.

    Lost media? Why not recapture from the source tapes? Finding files that have been erased requires special software, or more drastically for the drive to be sent to data recovery specialists.

    Shane

    “There’s no need to fear, UNDERDOG is here!”

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 22, 2005 at 5:19 am in reply to: Storage

    A G-Raid is a good option, as it can yeild 4 channels of 8-bit uncompressed SD footage. But external SATA Raids are your best bet all around. Even the G-SATA gives better speed that a G-Raid. G-Raids are good if you need the portability…but for SD work, SATA Raids are recommended.

    Fibrechannel RAIDS are the best, if you can afford it.

    Shane

    “There’s no need to fear, UNDERDOG is here!”

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 21, 2005 at 11:34 pm in reply to: How do you play the sequence to tape?

    Hee hee. I didn’t think he’d show up here. I use him at the Apple forums as my Avatar so I am more recognizable, I didn’t think it’d work here…he’s attached to my stock answers.

    Interesting. I guess he will make more appearances here as well.

    Since I making no money off of him, I am not worried.

    Shane

    “There’s no need to fear, UNDERDOG is here!”

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

Page 2205 of 2285

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy