Michael Sacci
Forum Replies Created
-
So if the question is, is this camera a full 35mm sensor, the answer is NO.-
The Nikon DX format is an alternative name used by Nikon corporation for APS-C image sensor format being approximately 24×16 mm. Its dimensions are about 2/3 those of the 35mm film format (29mm vs 43mm diagonal, approx.). The format was created by Nikon for its digital SLR cameras, many of which are equipped with DX-sized sensors. DX format is very similar in size to sensors referred to by other camera manufacturers (Canon, Pentax, and Sony) as APS-C, so the terms are sometimes used interchangeably.If the question is the viewfinder full frame, the answer is NO –
Viewfinder Frame CoverageApprox. 96%Unless you move up to cameras in the $2500 and up range, they will have the smaller sensor. All that to be said, unless you have a bunch of $$ in Nikon glass I would look at the Canon 7D, Canons are running away with the video on DSLR. NOt knocking the Nikon but you should look at the Canons and if you want full size sensors that it is the 5D.
[clyde villegas] “Also, how do you prevent skewing of image (aside from panning slowly and avoiding fast moving subjects)? Will shooting on a high shutter speed prevent that? “
While it may it would introduce more of a strobing effect like you see in the Gladiator fight scenes. -
All you need is the book. The exams for any certification for pro software is based totally on the info in the books – Apple Pro Training Series. Only some of the test can be taken without going to a class, in which you go through the book. FCP Level One is one of the test you can take without the class. While the value of certification can be debated, the value of the books cannot be. Everyone I have used is fantastic. Extremely well written, with enjoyable projects and you get a solid foundation in about 20-30 hours of work. Just the exams are about $150 if you want to do that. As long as you don’t think it is going to open a bunch of doors for you it is not a waste of time or money, if it gives you a goal that in the end teaches you the software you want to use to is worth it. And I would say that for a job at an apple store it may help, not a slam dunk but I would think they would appreciate the effort you went through and that you have a good knowledge of the software, which is what they want vs. a post house, they want to see that you can edit and not just know how the software works.
https://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321635272
-
[Cris Parker] “But if that is the case, can I export audio separately from video? “
Yes but that is a pretty vague question.
-
Why not post this in the Sony EX forum. While I’m sure there are people in here that use both cameras, the people in the Sony forum use it for sure.
Also post your system specs. Seems like you are looking for specific answers but giving general specs.
I don’t use HDV (or XDCAM) codec much but my workflow is to transcode it to ProRes at the start. Then rendering times would be greatly reduced throughout the project and I feel better quality is maintained.
-
Thanks, but I was being sarcastic. So much for my attempt at humor. Forgot the telltale “:-)”
Another common thing when you first start out is “Man I know I had the subject filling more of the frame than that!”
-
Michael Sacci
June 21, 2010 at 3:32 pm in reply to: Syncing Multiple Clips without using Multicam Functionwhat do you mean link, if each clip is synced up at the beginning it will be synced up all the way through, unless there is a break in the recording, which would not stay in sync in multicam.
Are you having an issue with multicam, not sure what you mean by uses up a lot of memory? You need drives fast enough to pull all the streams.
-
That folder is always empty, audio for the DVD is contained in the video ts folder.
There was an Audio DVD format that never caught on. so this file is not used about according to DVD spec it should be found on the disc so it should not be removed.
-
There are so many storage options out there but for multicam editing you need fast, For $2 or 3K you can put together really fast stuff with SAS connectors. If you buy the prepackaged stuff it cost about twice that much but you don’t need to think through all the different options.
It has been at least 3 years since I put my RAID together at the time it was fast and cheap but no redundancy. For that you needed about 8-10K. Things have changed but since my still works great I have not looked to closely at anything for me to be able to recommend. There have been a few articles about different systems here on the cow. One thing that is very popular is ethernet based SAN system. But I would not sure they are fast enough for multicam editing. Great for inexpensive shared storage but I don’t think they would be fast enough for you.
-
yes it is a drive issue, there is no way even a FW800 drive will keep up with 6 streams of video. You need a stripped RAID set, at least 4 drives conbined into a single drive. This also requires a host adapter card. I you want to do this type of editing you need to get the right equipment, in this case it is a fast drive system.
-
The two most important things you can do to get crisp images is exposure and focus. If you under expose your footage you will get noise, slightly out of focus and you will see it more.
But the settings like B-Press vs Cine D in the camera will make a difference but also effect the look of the image so there is no right wrong answer here. You have to test and retest under your shooting conditions. I don’t know if Panasonic is still giving the Barry Green book with the cameras HVX200 and HPX170, if not order the book, it is a must have for that camera. He goes into all of this and it is a better manual for the cameras then the panasonic’s, but the panasonic manual is fine also. But in the end you need to shoot, watch and evaluate.