Maybe I wasn’t that clear, but in the ALE that you downloaded, it will still crash because I wanted you to see that the last even in the ALE had a comments field that way too long and that is what is crashing MC upon import. You can open the ALE file in a text editor (I like TextWrangler on OS X) and either delete the last event or shorten the comments column to match the other events. Then it will import.
In all cases, it will not relink to any of the media because ALE merge and relink is based on an EXACT match of:
1. Either Tape or Source File metadata fields. This is the file name of the source file being recorded of which there as no record in the original ALE file.
2. Start and End timecode must also be an exact match. There is no fuzzy merging based on ranges and such with ALE merge.
And if it did work, some events may be limited or truncated to the limitation of characters as witnessed with this sample file.
Michael