[Scott Sheriff] “”Apart from the fact that I wouldn’t consider running FCS2 on Snow Leopard,”
Is that based on actual experience, or repeating what others have said?”
It is based on constant reading of opinions and other contributors real world experience on this forum and a desire to make a balanced judgement to minimise problems and down time.
I am, like you, amazed at how people have ignored warnings about the best way to install and upgrade. You have obviously studied the advice, opinions and read all the sad stories of those that don’t do their homework.
My choice was a total system upgrade. New hardware, SL on new drive, FCS3 – waiting until 10.6.2 and FCP7.0.1 were available. I saw no point in upgrading hardware, OS and then reinstalling FCS2.
The price of the FCS3 upgrade is trivial and the huge improvements to Color plus the new flavours of ProRes are ample reasons to do an OS and FCS3 upgrade simulataneously. I still have 6.0.6 on my old G5 so I have legacy.