Forum Replies Created

Page 561 of 668
  • Michael Gissing

    March 10, 2010 at 9:53 pm in reply to: De-Interlace Multiple Codecs Sequence

    All the HDV footage is correctly upper field. You need to put the shift fields filter on the DV footage.

    Color will output the original fields so you DV footage is incorrect. YOur 1080 sequence should be upper and so only put a shift fields filter on the DV material.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 10, 2010 at 6:46 am in reply to: TWO video formats – ONE :30 commercial – FCP

    [Jared Cicon] “Old dogs….”

    I have more grey hair than you and I have recently ventured into the dark world of Qmaster to speed up Compressor.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 10, 2010 at 2:55 am in reply to: TWO video formats – ONE :30 commercial – FCP

    Sorry Jared, I understand the limitations of shooting the slo mo locks you into 720. I missed that detail in your original post.

    It is possible to capture your HDV straight to ProRes. Chris Poisson wrote a tutorial a while back which is FCP6 relevant so search the Cow forum and you should find it.

    The 60fps will come in via log & transfer. If you bring it in as native XDCam @ 60 fps, then you can convert the footage in Compressor using frame controls to slow the footage down to 29.97 and convert to ProRes at the same time. At that point you might want to scale the footage up to 1080 as Compressor will do better scaling than within FCP.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 10, 2010 at 1:27 am in reply to: FCS 2 won’t install after uninstalling FCS 3

    Standard recommendation here is to do clean OS & FCS installs. If that means buying a new system drive, then that is going to be safer and most likely cheaper in the long run.

    If you had done the FCS3 install that way, you would simply swap out your system drive and be back on a stable version of FCS2 right now.

    There may be issues with the fact that FCS3 would have installed Quicktime X which FCS2 won’t understand. Rather than muck around trying to work out why at this stage, I would still go and buy a new drive and do a clean OS & FCS2 install. Meanwhile do the same with the other drive and put FCS3 on so when you want to move back to FCS3 it is just a drive swap.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 10, 2010 at 1:21 am in reply to: TWO video formats – ONE :30 commercial – FCP

    Why shoot the EX 1 at 1280 x 720? The HDRFX-1 is shooting HDV which is 1440 x 1080 so it would make more sense to shoot both at 1080 res.

    If you want seamless playback and control, then both sources should be converted to ProRes 1920 x 1080 during ingest. Shoot both at the same frame rate please!

    I have seen XDCam and HDV codecs in the one timeline with the renders set to ProRes but it is more elegant to work in the one codec and frame rate.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 10, 2010 at 1:11 am in reply to: cards aja vs black magic

    I recently did a complete system upgrade – hardware & software. Previously I had a Decklink Pro HD and so this time I did a lot of home work and considered the benefits of all cards against cost.

    Most important to me was good quality up/down/cross conversion, plus dual SDI inputs and outputs, as I feed my HDCam and digi beta simultaneously. I also knew that I had some projects that were going to be RED 4K and the ability to work with 2K files being converted and displayed correctly on a 1920 x 1080 monitor was also very important.

    So in the end the winner was Kona3. It actually did the best job on all those tasks and I also knew it would be only getting better with time as the AJA support and development is also impressive. As for cost, I value my time and the reputation for being able to handle anything at quality with speedy turnaround. So the Kona3 was not expensive given my expectation of many years of profitable trouble free work.

  • In the motion tab, you have control of scaling up or down (Basic motion) plus a distort section to stretch or squeeze. A combination of those will give you a full size image with the correct 16:9 aspect.

    I played with the purifier demo yesterday and bought it! It is a great tool for cleaning up all sorts of noise and it’s scaling is also excellent. However it is shot by shot, not a batch converter so with a lot of footage Compressor would be better to scale.

    I was thinking more of cleaning up some of the pixelation in the 320 x 240 footage which purifier claims to help with. I didn’t have anything like that to test it on however, but it is very fast a very good from an amazingly low price.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 8, 2010 at 5:16 am in reply to: 9 Oscar Nominated Docs cut on Final Cut Pro

    And the winner is “The Cove” edited on FCP. Phew – we would have had some egg on face if Burma VJ (the lone AVID doco) won.

  • [rachel pandza] “the media, project file and sequences are not corrupt.”

    Perhaps not but have you repaired disk permissions and trashed FCP preferences on both machines?

    This is basic maintenance and the how to (if you don’t know) will be found by searching this forum, along with a whole lot more details and opinions. Once basic system maintenance is done, it is remarkable how many FCP issues disappear. If not in this case then let us know and some bright minds may have further ideas.

  • The squished look indicates that they are 16:9 anamorphic. Set your distort to 33.3 to correct the aspect ratio.

    What are the codecs of the files? It may be worth converting them to ProRes 422 1920 x 1080 in Compressor to do a better scaling to HD than just using FCP. You might also consider Innobits video purifier to do both the scaling and some denoising to clean up the SD footage. https://www.innobits.com/purifier.html

    Either way the upscaled footage would be best in ProRes 422 and your HDV can also be dropped into a ProRes22 1920 x 1080 timeline to get the best post grade finish.

Page 561 of 668

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy