Ever try to get a PBS station to play something of yours? I don’t know anybody that passed the PBS QC on the first try:-) I also remember doing betacam dub runs and getting a call from one guy out of 200-odd stations, complaining that his copy has to have audio on just one particular track, because his in-house automation system used the other one for beep tones, he was sending the dub back to us to “fix” it, because he didn’t have time to erase one track. I asked him in all innocence: “But don’t you erase whatever is on that track during the process where you add the beep tones anyhow?” He hung up on me.
Buddy, I’m having enough trouble making 200 perfectly identical copies on one standard, now I gotta remember you need the low-sodium kosher in-flight meal instead?
I feel your pain, brothers. I think there’s plenty of blame to go around. Analog formats handled overdriven audio more gracefully, plus the decks often had limiters that were left on all the time, so you had some room to mess up and yet it could be saved at the end of the chain.
With digital there is no soft fail: you clip, you’re lost. But my own experience has been that it’s not easy to make the transition even if you had a decent analog background, many things like levels and procedures for audio are different, and documentation is scattered and confusing, Db meters don’t act the way we’re used to… you need to often buy a specific book to learn how to set things up right. Then once you finally do, the next bozo to use the gear will change everything on you:-P .
Also, the kids these days, as they say, don’t get any grounding in such details at school: since for so long some invisible someone or an unseen hardware device has been making up for bad settings down the chain, some people in production don’t really ever learn how to set up their system to proper levels in the first place, and don’t really have a sense of, or respect for standards. They’ll compensate by cranking an amp for the near field speakers instead of the waveform on the timeline. I like to point it out to our high school interns when a local cable spot comes on with audio buzz because a too-high white level is crowding the audio subcarrier. THEN they start to get a glimmer of why standards are important.
I blame Premiere:-) (grinning) Many casual Kids and “auteurs” consider bars, tone and slates and counts to be merely visual appendixes to their work, they are the kinds of folks that use Premiere’s academy leader on the front of their home movies to “make it look professional”, with no clue what the academy is or what leader is for or what a 2-pop is. I’d rather there be no bars or tone on a video than tone and bars unrelated to the actual program levels. You get a more honest setting by using actual program levels, if the editor didn’t set proper signals to start with. I’m tired, gotta go hang a fresh onion on the old belt.