To be a little bit fair, if the clients had sufficient imagination, they wouldn’t need us in the first place. ?
I’m reminded of a a story I’ve told before: of an ad agency in Chicago that created an “animatic” storyboard to show the client ( I believe it was a grocery or food company) what the proposed spot could look like in advance. Spot was your tyical mom talking to fellow moms about how to feed her growing kids right and save money and time, blah blah blah… This was black and white ink pen drawn line art, of a mom and her kids, interspersed with product shots, using actual voice-overs for all the parts, with music and sound effects, and only crudely given basic motion by the use of camera moves into and across the art cards. Simple stuff. Basically an illustrated radio commercial.
Somehow, it captured the client’s fancy, and they considered the animatic demo to be the finished spot, and it ran for several weeks in the local market. The ad agency guys were horrified and made the butt of jokes by their peers, but the checks cashed just the same.