Forum Replies Created

Page 116 of 1014
  • Mark Suszko

    November 18, 2016 at 8:28 pm in reply to: The new Mac Mini

    I don’t get the angle about this being great for CAD work. And this is not a mac mini vs. hp mini issue, but an overall form-factor issue. A small-footprint independent computer suggests a mobile, or at least intentionally portable, user experience, or at least, an installation that is more “field”- like than “office”-like. For example, I could see a small computer like this hooked to a 3-d printer or CNC router or laser engraver. Even though all of those things can run off a thumb drive or internal memory, but let’s leave it for the sake of argument. I can see a small format machine like this connected to VR experiences. Or used in the music-recording/production and DJ business areas. But what’s the advantage of a small footprint, with inherent compromises in performance or other features/ options, in a static, standard office/desk environment like CAD? Or, is there some gain from rack-mounting a bunch of these into a massive array? This may be a cool platform for certain applications, but you’re pitching it for CAD work? Like the scene in “Big”, when Tom Hanks is asked to play-test the robots that turn into buildings… “I don’t get it”.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ERuhks3GNk

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • Mark Suszko

    November 18, 2016 at 4:51 pm in reply to: Project (and drive) management suggestions.

    You have two issues: fast data access for day to day, reachable from anywhere, and insurance against catastrophic loss like drive failure, fire/theft.

    What about a “belt-and-suspenders” approach? Such as: daily backups go to Cloud-based storage, and a weekly backup “ghosting” of the whole RAID goes onto hard drives, one of which can stay on-site, in rotation with three offsite back-ups? Once you have the computers set up to automate the backup process on a regular schedule, you can mostly forget about it.

    It may help to imagine a couple of “worst case” scenarios, then design your methods and tech to answer that problem.

    Worst case 1: in-house RAID failure, on the clock, deadline looms. What’s a faster/practical restore situation, I’d say cloud, *if* you have high bandwidth so it doesn’t take all day.

    Worst case 2: can’t work from the shop, can you access remotely from home or another studio space?

    If you’re doing incremental back-ups, what’s the maximum loss you’re comfortable with, in terms of how often the backups are made? Can you stand to lose the last hour of edits? The last three? A day’s worth?

    Then there’s the “U-Boat” clients: they surface sporadically, without warning, asking for cr@p you did for them two years ago, pronto. How fast should you need to be able to restore/dub files for these guys? Is a day all right?

  • Mark Suszko

    November 16, 2016 at 3:48 pm in reply to: How to burn a DVD-ROM in FCP X

    Supposedly there is new DVD burn functionality in Compressor; haven’t dug into yet myself. Rather, I keep an FCP07 system around just for authoring with DVDStudioPro, which does exactly what you’re asking for.

  • One way I’ve seen this handled is to dip to black at the point they show the clip, then come back. Some people put an on-screen link over the black pause, some just list it as text. other people just refer to it in their speech and leave it for the audience to go find it. In the legalities sense, it’s all a flipping minefield. And you’re making it even more iffy by re-posting material the original posters may not have rights to.

    I’d refer this job to your worst enemy.

  • Mark Suszko

    November 14, 2016 at 4:20 pm in reply to: Dragon voice-to-text software for transcripts

    Use drag on to Dick Tait the results. I yam Curios two sea how well it bannanas.

  • Mark Suszko

    November 11, 2016 at 4:56 am in reply to: What do you think of this future?

    Too late – it’s out in the wild, in a version without any watermarking. it’s inevitable.

  • Mark Suszko

    November 10, 2016 at 7:19 pm in reply to: What do you think of this future?

    Tim: You. Magnificent. Bastard.

    via GIPHY

  • Mark Suszko

    November 10, 2016 at 5:51 pm in reply to: Broadcasting an audio signal on the go with a smartphone

    Sweetwater Sound, Musician’s Friend, B&H Photo-video, Markertek, all have products with info. Even RAdio Shack has a simple wireless system with handheld and lav options. Research then shop around.

  • Mark Suszko

    November 10, 2016 at 5:49 pm in reply to: Who owns the footage??

    Flagler V. Walmart.

    Or, Walmart V. Flagler.

  • Mark Suszko

    November 10, 2016 at 4:28 pm in reply to: Video for cars

    Well, it’s creepy in a *good* way, I guess… so I’ll take it.:-) I just find it bemusing, the marketing ideas you and I come up with or bandy about seem like such slam-dunks, but I have the worst time getting anybody to listen to me, locally, for creative. It’s said: “A prophet is without honor in his own country”. or the more contemporary version: ” Back home, I’m just a shmuck crackpot dreamer nobody pays attention to. Any place else, I’m an out-of-town hotshot consultant and a certified genius.”

Page 116 of 1014

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy