Forum Replies Created

Page 131 of 196
  • Joseph Owens

    June 9, 2012 at 2:43 pm in reply to: Insert editing into a Dolby-E master?

    [Dan Hodlick] ” These inserts will be stereo.”

    Ah, I missed that. Yes you can only insert Non-Audio into a Non-Audio channel. Dolby E, although it can be any number of channels internally, is editable, but can’t be mixed and matched with non-encoded media.

    jPo

    You mean “Old Ben”? Ben Kenobi?

  • Joseph Owens

    June 7, 2012 at 9:58 pm in reply to: Insert editing into a Dolby-E master?

    NO. Dolby-E is “burst” encoded so you can insert /assemble edit on tape. The frame rate must agree, obviously.

    jPo

    You mean “Old Ben”? Ben Kenobi?

  • [Gabriel Bergeron] “I’ll have floating white points with a plasma which seems like a dealbreaker.”

    Speaking of things that float.

    You are looking for a reference monitor. No consumer monitor, whether it is intended to be a home entertainment display or a PC user interface is equipped to show the truth — they are all trying desperately to show the image as “good” as it can possibly be. Most professional colorists bring home a new *TVset* and the first thing they do is shut everything off. All the enhancers, improvements, contrast compensation… makes one wonder what we do for a living if you have to do all that fixing as an end user. (When I still see 4×3 stretched out to fill a widescreen — yeesh!)

    What you are proposing to do is to fold up a newspaper to make a boat to sail across the Sheep Meadow pond. Its an investment, I suppose, in your didactic experience. Good! But its only going to last a short period of time before you start realizing that “that’s not the way it was when I left that scene”. Haul out the probe. Again. It obviously won’t *do* if you want to go shark fishing in the Indian Ocean. As the good sheriff said, “We’re going to need a bigger boat.” And you’re thinking I’m Robert Shaw…. making an unpleasant noise at the town meeting….?

    Check out some of Flanders’ economy models. If you can’t afford the (2461)Grade 1 model, the 2140/2340W are still great values — built in scopes, audio disembedding, every input known to man — you will spend almost as much building a Mousetrap (*tm Ideal Toys/Hasbro) to convert the image six-ways-from-Sunday to get it to -what is still- the wrong display.

    jPo

    You mean “Old Ben”? Ben Kenobi?

  • Joseph Owens

    June 7, 2012 at 3:06 pm in reply to: Exchange Projects between Lite and pro?

    [Markus Schmidt] “I would prefer to check the conforming on a DaVinci-Lute version”

    If all you are doing is checking the conform, fuggetaboutit.

    However, if you are hoping to do a pre-grade and pass along the corrections, then think about exporting the project or trying to export a CDL.

    jPo

    You mean “Old Ben”? Ben Kenobi?

  • Joseph Owens

    June 5, 2012 at 4:45 pm in reply to: Semi-OT: Color shifts when wearing eyeglasses?

    I’ve always made it perfectly clear with my optician that my lenses have to be absolutely neutral, and so far, so good; the coatings have done their job. However, since my near-vision does not actually require correction, I find myself grading without the spectacles more often than not. Recently had a custom pair made up expressly for work that look kind of “labby”.

    That said, it has always been interesting to me how original source images wander around depending on the quality of the taking lenses, age, flare, T-stop and focal length (on non-primes). I’ve seen exposure vary by as much as a half-stop between the extremes of zooms… and these are professional lenses? But even internal compensations have their price… “breathing” in rack focus, depth of field/circle of confusion oscillating as a focus puller/zoom follows a move… and so on. If its a physical system, it will have defects.

    jPo

    You mean “Old Ben”? Ben Kenobi?

  • Joseph Owens

    June 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm in reply to: Vectorscope

    [stig olsen] “what is the best approach this without the need of desaturate the green?”

    Beyond the simple mechanics of isolating it, you are asking about “legalizing” it, as I read the question.

    If the tonal impression is what you want to preserve, then you are allowed a certain overage in saturation –> But do recall that 75% is really just a target value for setting up color bars, as the YCyGMRB waveform is specifically set up to that standard so that we can reproduce them. Its like “0” VU tone.

    Composite baseband usually allows up to 102IRE (luminance), and up to about 120IRE Y+C. If you do not have a good composite baseband simulation, this might be hard to measure. Its another argument for outboard scopes.

    Generally, a tonal value is easiest to re-simulate (and tuck under the legalizer) by adjusting its luminance values — In yellow and green, dropping the Y component in effect sometimes serves to “intensify” the saturation… so tweaking the saturation down a little more should serve the purpose.

    jPo

    You mean “Old Ben”? Ben Kenobi?

  • Joseph Owens

    June 3, 2012 at 7:52 pm in reply to: Off Topic: Best and Worst Jobs.

    Heh.

    Well, we mostly drill for oil in the part of the world I live in. Spent one day thinking it might be my last, 80 feet up in the thin air on a “service” rig, wearing a (ha, ha) “safety belt” that looked like it was made by slave labour 300 years ago, cracking and retrieving the drill stem from a deep hole. Never again. Couldn’t move for a week following that adventure. Ruined a nice set of work clothes, too, as I was being continuously showered with raw crude and petroleum jelly. When a company refers to the new Resolve GUI as “slicker than a greased seal”, I know that feeling from personal experience, so it must be pretty good.

    The worst post project I’ve ever worked on was a stimulant-fuelled orgy of frolic in comparison. Among the “best”, after that, there is such a narrow shade of difference as to be indistinguishable. And I have seriously lost count because I’ve been doing this for well over three decades, now.

    jPo

    You mean “Old Ben”? Ben Kenobi?

  • Joseph Owens

    June 3, 2012 at 7:37 pm in reply to: Apple Posts FAQ on FCPX

    The FAQ (does that stand for Frequently Asked or Answered Questions?) actually looks like a gag hack that somebody imbedded secretly into the Apple site… really? I tried to follow some of the URL tags and it put Safari into permanent beachball. Sort of almost as useful as the “FCPX, 2B or not2B? discussion itself.

    Anyway, I pronounce it FC-ex, like ex-spouse. But I still have the house and the kids.

    jPo

    You mean “Old Ben”? Ben Kenobi?

  • Joseph Owens

    June 3, 2012 at 7:27 pm in reply to: Any way to save window layouts?

    Previous daVinci (pre-BlackMagic) featured an extremely customizable Artisan interface which was really the bee’s knees. I don’t see that user-configurability in Resolve, although there is a completely re-designed GUI coming “in July”… Can you wait a few more weeks?

    Black Magic guys: *a few more weeks*?

    jPo

    You mean “Old Ben”? Ben Kenobi?

  • Joseph Owens

    June 3, 2012 at 7:17 pm in reply to: External Grading Monitor

    This should really be in the Basics and Configuration forum.

    jPo

    You mean “Old Ben”? Ben Kenobi?

Page 131 of 196

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy