Forum Replies Created

Page 119 of 196
  • Joseph Owens

    August 23, 2012 at 5:18 pm in reply to: Export Issue 2

    What is your operating system? Is it playing back the QT under the same ColorSync rules as Final Cut is using for its display preview? Have you brought the exported QT back into FCP to check its video parameters?

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    August 23, 2012 at 5:10 pm in reply to: 29.97 Dropframe Issue !!! Need ADVICE ASAP

    [Mark Raudonis] “If you’re taking a paycheck to edit, you should know this stuff.”

    Somewhat forgiveable if contemporary editors don’t know why 2 frames are dropped at a time…
    but component analog obviated the need for color framing… so the origins are lost in the mists of time.

    But given the current vogue for “origins” storylines….?

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    August 22, 2012 at 9:19 pm in reply to: 29.97 Dropframe Issue !!! Need ADVICE ASAP

    [Shane Ross] “It needs to be 30:00;00…DROP FRAME. Not non-drop. YOu yourself said it…you are short: Non Drop frame: 29:38:07.”

    These numbers don’t add up. There is no way that 30:00;00 (drop) is 29:38:07 (nondrop). 22 sec 22 frames? I don’t think so, or you have some typos in the original message.

    30:00:00 non drop is 54,000 frames, which in Drop is 30:01;24.
    If you are looking to achieve 30:00;00 Drop, your target in NonDrop is 53,946 frames, or 29:58:06.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    August 22, 2012 at 3:29 am in reply to: Apple files ten patents relating to editing today

    The current round of patent suits does resemble a late-middle game “ko” fight, if you study Japanese-rules GO. Basically, expert players spend The middle game building as many threats as they can, so that if one of them pulls the pin on a really aggresive invasion, the one that has the most ko threats will eventually take the initiative “sente” to capture the most territory, or inflict such heavy damage on the adversary that a resignation is the only option.

    But reading the proceedings reports, it seems like Apple is behaving like a belligerent teenager with no sense of mortality, and all the entitlement of a mediocre rich kid. The judiciary is not amused.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • So you must be sending the continuous camera original to Resolve as a single clip… I am not clear if you are attempting to razor the original in FCX or not and sending an XML to Resolve.

    As an XML-flow project, you should be seeing two sequences in the Conform page. The Master Timeline contains all the source media as it exists in the Source Bin, uncut. There should also be a “cut” sequence, which would contain all your razor “notches” (what we used to call an event boundary in Renaissance, etc.). Opening the cut sequence in the COLOR page should still have those boundaries, but because the source clip is the same for all the events, they will be linked. You can break the grouping and grade them all individually as if they were independent clips at that point, and render them out so that they behave like independent clips (which they will be, in Source mode). You do also have the option of creating razor cuts on the timeline in the Conform page, which still need to be unlinked, or as has been suggested a number of times, remote or local versions.

    If you only have a master timeline in Resolve, you can create a new sequence, which will be a clone of the Master Timeline, and the new one will be editable, as the Master Timeline is not.

    There is absolutely no need to render multiple versions of the source clip to realize different treatments of the media within that single clip. Keyframes would also be an option, if you want to keep the entire clip intact as a single entity.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    August 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm in reply to: Replacing AVCHD with Prores without reimporting

    I’d try a Batch Export…

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • maybe what you’re trying to do is “commercial flow”?

    Normally, only one version of each clip is exported…. or are you looking for Target mode? or…

    I guess I don’t understand what you’re trying to do.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    August 20, 2012 at 7:55 pm in reply to: Da Vinci Lite keep on crashing

    Yes.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    August 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm in reply to: Apple files ten patents relating to editing today

    I’m reading the abstract for “masking” for the purpose of color correction. Now I know that Silicon Color had to name their process a “vignette”, because “PowerWindow” was taken, among others. Its a daVinci trademark and patent, now owned by Black Magic Design.

    Hmmm.

    Wouldn’t it be entertaining if what develops is a hostile, predatory litigation (by a cash-rich company) to simply out-sue in the hopes of an attrition battle that a smaller company cannot hope to win. Its just SunTzu strategy. Corporations are legally obliged by their shareholders to cheat, lie, steal, murder, anything, in the name of profit.

    https://attempter.wordpress.com/2011/03/09/corporations-are-sociopaths/

    Also, see: https://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Wright_Bros/Patent_Battles/WR12.htm
    which includes Henry Ford, Glenn Curtiss, Orville Wright and World War One.

    It also talks about patent definitions pertaining to “improvements” and “innovations”.

    And yes, Apple sends lawyers to fight pointless actions — do some research around the NVidia card fiasco on the 17″ MacBook Pro motherboards. Look for the Seattle litigation. Just one tiny example with which I am not personally unfamiliar, having experienced the failure, and also the song-and-dance runaround.

    Eventually the revolutionaries all become Big Brother, and then we need more revolutionaries.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    August 20, 2012 at 4:11 pm in reply to: A follow up to Good bye FCPX,

    [Oliver Peters] “Right now, SG is positioned as the “end of the line” tool in the Adobe workflow.”

    They will soon learn that grading as it is currently practiced needs to be fully linked to the editor. The workflow just doesn’t exist anymore where grade occurs as the last step.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

Page 119 of 196

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy