John Rofrano
Forum Replies Created
-
> My son is rendering his files to an external hard drive, so how do I go about configuring it to be NTFS?
If this is an external drive, and especially if it’s an external USB drive (Like a Western Digital My Book or My Passport) changes are it is FAT32 because that file system is compatible with both PC and Mac.
First open a command prompt: Start | Run… | cmd | OK
Once you are at the command prompt, run CHKDSK to check the disk for errors and tell you the file system it uses. The chkdsk command needs the drive letter of the disk you want to check. Let’s say the external hard drive is E: you would issue the command:
C:> chkdsk e:
This will come back with something like:
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Volume My Passport created 10/28/2002 12:59 PM
Volume Serial Number is 35C0-96B9
Windows is verifying files and folders...
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
312,492,320 KB total disk space.
160 KB in 5 hidden files.
2,688 KB in 84 folders.
1,498,144 KB in 100 files.
310,991,296 KB are available.32,768 bytes in each allocation unit.
9,765,385 total allocation units on disk.
9,718,478 allocation units available on disk.
That first line is what’s key: The type of the file system is FAT32. That tells you that you have a FAT32 drive and need to convert it to NTFS to get larger than 4GB files on it.You will need the Volume Label to convert the drive. Issue the following command:
C:> vol e:
This will return something like:
Volume in drive E is My Passport
Volume Serial Number is 35C0-96B9
Which means the volume label is My Passport. Remember this for the next step.To convert you use the CONVERT command like this (still assuming the external hard drive is E:)
C:> convert e: /FS:NTFS /V
This will prompt you with the following:
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Enter current volume label for drive E:
This is where you type in the volume label of your drive that I told you to remember in the last step (you did remember it, didn’t you?)Once you type the correct volume label, this will convert the e: drive to the NTFS file system in verbose mode (‘cuz I like to know what it’s doing). Once that’s done, (…and be patient ‘cuz it will take a while depending on the size of the disk and how full it is) you should be able to create files larger than 4GB on it.
WARNING: This will convert the drive with files in place and all of the original data will still be there, however… It is a good idea to backup this drive before converting just in case. You have been warned.
Please feel free to ask more questions before you try this. Better safe than sorry I always say.
~jr
http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com -
> What can i do that it works?
You can:
(a) Play at a lower resolution that Movie Studio supports
(b) Upgrade to Vegas Pro which supports higher resolutions
(c) Re-encode you fraps videos to a lower resolution with Super(c) (or any other video converter)
(d) Find a cheaper alternative to Vegas Pro that supports 1650×1050 video
It may be easier to go with option (a) but if you are not delivering the final video as 1650×1050 you could use options (c) as well.
~jr
http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com -
I don’t know but why does your Windows Start button not say “Start” and why does the windows docking bar have no icons on it? It may all be related??
~jr
http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com -
> he meant to tell you to render on a NTFS file system, not NTSC which is a tv standard….
lol… now why didn’t my finger type that??? Yes, I mean NTFS not NTSC and definitely not NCIS! 😉 (i need more sleep)
~jr
http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com -
Great! Glad you got it worked out. Yea, it doesn’t matter what the project properties are… rendering will always use the render properties. When you think about it, this make sense so that you can render an interlaced version for DVD and a progressive version for the web without changing the project properties.
~jr
http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com -
> My question for you though is do you plan on building a new box for Vegas9 or will the specs you list on your web page continue to work just fine for you?
I don’t plan on building a new PC for Vegas Pro 9 and will probably use the configuration I have for quite a while. The problem is that processor speeds have hit a brick wall. The QuadCore I built two years ago is almost as powerful as any QuadCore you can build today. I say “almost” because I’ve read really good things about the i7 CPU’s being quite a bit faster for rendering.
The question you should ask is if I were to build this box today would I use the same parts and the answer would be NO. If I were to build a new QuadCore today I would build an i7 box probably using the i7 920 processor. I just don’t know if moving to one now would give me any significant boost to justify the cost over what I have.
My next build with probably be a dual CPU 8 core PC. I’m just waiting for prices to come down.
~jr
http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com -
The solution is to select a render template that is progressive (not interlaced) or change the template you are using to be progressive (i.e., Field Order = None). The problem is that Movie Studio doesn’t enable the Custom button on most render types like the Pro version does. You’ll have to find a type that will let you turn of interlacing. (I don’t have Movie Studio so I don’t know which ones will work or not)
~jr
http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com -
My only advice is that if you want to edit your videos you should not be using a camera that records to DVD. These cameras are for people who just want to ‘shoot-n-watch’. The MPEG2 files they record are already highly compressed and really don’t stand up well to editing and more compression. I know it’s not what you want to hear but you really should start with a camera that shoots higher quality video if you want to edit and re-author to DVD.
~jr
http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com -
I don’t believe that Vegas is the thing that is stopping you. 3.99GB is just short of 4GB which is the size limit for the FAT32 file system. Is it possible that you are rendering to a FAT32 drive and not an NTSC drive?
If you are trying to fit this on a DVD you can try rendering as an AVI file and let DVD Architect re-encode the file to fit the disc. This will only work if you are using the NTSC file system because I assume the AVI file will be way bigger than 4GB (more like 32GB).
~jr
http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com -
Excellent! I’m glad that was it and you were able to get updated drivers. Thanks for posting back and letting other know the solution too.
~jr
http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com