Forum Replies Created

Page 125 of 374
  • John Cuevas

    January 27, 2014 at 12:30 pm in reply to: My Linear Wipes are not looking smooth

    Any chance you can run me through the steps, in accomplishing the motion you have done?

    First I created the lower third—just the previous project with the hot white edges.
    Bring that into a final comp and would locate into it’s final position and scale appropriately—obviously I skipped moving it to it’s lower right position in the project I uploaded.
    Double click the rectangle mask tool to place a mask around the lower third.
    At frame 12, Set a keyframe for mask shape.
    Press “Shift+S” and at frame 5 set a keyframe for your ending Scale.
    Go to frame 0 and set the Y scale to “0”.
    Go to Frame 5, click “Mask Path” and using the Marquee tool, select the right to vertex points and moved them so they just reveal a couple of pixels of the left side of the lower third.

    At this point your lower third should scale up from 0% and reveal a thin edge on the left size, then the mask should reveal it. To set the ease out and in. Select the first mask point and press “Shift+cntl+F9”, then the 2nd mask pointand “shift+F9” and that’s it.

    Glad I could help out.

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • If you want to increase your AE skills, I can’t recommend enough Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC). There a ton of free resources that will get you started there.

    It true with everything, but doubly true with AE, you have to learn to walk before you can run, learn the basics, they are the building blocks to creating amazing motion graphics. Once you have a good understanding how the program works, check out the more advanced tutorials at the Creative Cow, AETuts and Video CoPilot.. That’s where you will see how to take those building blocks and really take everything to the next level.

    And if you ever have a problem, come back to the Cow and ask questions, you’ll always find a lot of help here.

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • John Cuevas

    January 26, 2014 at 6:32 pm in reply to: My Linear Wipes are not looking smooth

    I downloaded both files from youtube so I could watch them frame by frame and they are included in the project i’m uploading(if you want to download from youtube, keepvid.com). Two things I noticed was the wipe you like more was done over 12 frames, the one you did was 7 frames, that’s actually pretty significant. Secondly it looks like in the program they used two masks to complete the wipe. One at 50% opacity and the second at 100%. I used default ease out and in for moving the masks into place. Check out the project and see if it’s more what you are trying to get.

    7048_wipesoftfolder.zip

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • John Cuevas

    January 25, 2014 at 10:57 pm in reply to: White infinity curve background

    The expression is for faking extrusion of the logo, not really needed. I created his project up to the part where he started creating flares. Here you go, a CS5 version, you can use it to help you get started.

    7046_infinitywall.aep.zip

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • John Cuevas

    January 24, 2014 at 4:43 pm in reply to: Noise after chroma key with Keylight(1.2)

    And just to add to the spill suppression techniques, Andrew Kramer at VCP uses the Hue/Saturation effect to remove the green cast from his keylight keys.

    The Portal

    He starts keying at 7:30, uses the hue/sat effect around 11:30.

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • John Cuevas

    January 23, 2014 at 6:04 pm in reply to: tracking a fast moving dot

    I just tracked the dot, it took a couple of minutes, it only lost the dot a few times, when it did I stopped and re-located the tracker…

    I just thought it seems like the answers so close what with illustrator/after effects path compatibility, but I can’t figure it out! I was hoping it would be simple to track a red dot on a white background and my problem would be solved, but if I have to track the dot by hand every time it drifts off course then that would probably be more time consuming than my old method.

    —that’s part of tracking.

    7035_dottrackedfolder.zip

    I basically did what Roland suggested, it took a couple of minutes, it only lost the dot a few times, when it did I stopped and re-located the tracker…

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • Glad I could help out.

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • Stickied or not, it’s going into my Adobe Links Folder

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • If you just pushed “[” that doesn’t trim your layers, it moves the head of the layer to that point. So if you did that, then moved everything to 0, everything should still be the same(If all the layers started at 0 to begin with).

    For example, just to make sure I understand your work flow and what you did—create a new 20 second comp and create 2 solids. Select Solid 1, go to 10 seconds and on the Number keypad press “*” to set a layer marker. Now go to 15 seconds, select Solid 2 and press and on the Number keypad press “*”. Now go to 8 seconds, and press “[” Your layers have moved, but have not been trimmed. If you now bring both layers to 0, you everything will be the exact same.

    If you want to trim a layers in-point, move the CTI(current time indicator) to where you want to trim it, and press “alt+[“, which is what I think you want to do.

    I think another approach you could take, is if you just want your comp to start at 15 seconds, is move the CTI to 15 seconds, press “b” to move the Work area tab, then right click in the work area tab and select “Trim Comp to Work Area” Hope that’s what you are after, if not, let me know.

    Having an understanding of editing/premiere will give you a basic understanding of AE fundamentals(trimming, alpha, keyframes), but if you really want to learn this program, start here: Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC), there are some excellent FREE online tutorials that will really teach you the program.

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • Generally, I would make a null object, parent what I want to rotate in a cicle to that null and just rotate the center null.

    But if parenting is out here’s another method, create a comp sized solid and using the circular mask tool, make a mask the size you want your object to move around(circumference). Open up the mask properties, click/highlight “Mask Path” and copy the path(cntl+c). Now open the position property of the object you want to move along that path, click/highlight “Position” and paste(cntl+v).

    The resulting keyframes are roving keyframes, meaning the first and last keyframes are the anchors. You can slide either one and the rest will auto adjust. If you want to change them, just highlight all, right click and deselect “rove across time”

    Also there are methods using expressions that can also create circles—not sure if you need that type of control though.

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Page 125 of 374

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy