Forum Replies Created

Page 2828 of 2910
  • Jeremy Garchow

    February 9, 2006 at 11:37 pm in reply to: green check mark vs. yellow caution sign

    That means that you have illegal whites, or whites that are above the ‘legal limit’ for broadcast.

  • Jeremy Garchow

    February 9, 2006 at 11:34 pm in reply to: PLEASE Help me capture 720p24 10bit

    You should be able to select the 720p 23.98 10 bit VARICAM kona preset and be on your way.

    Jeremy

  • Jeremy Garchow

    February 9, 2006 at 9:56 pm in reply to: IO good for Soundtrack Pro?

    It makes a bunch of sense. that’s one great feature of the io is it’s PCI card/processor independent. PCI/PCI-X/PCIe, G4/G5, it really doesn’t matter with the io.

    When I speak of the delay it is a mere 4 frames. It really really is not a big deal and you actually get used to it if you edit enough.

    The delay I am talking about is only when you are editing, i.e. watching footage through FCP. You hit the space bar to play and there’s a teeny delay, when you hit the space bar to stop, there’s a four frame delay. That’s it. AJA makes great products, you won’t be disappointed.

  • Jeremy Garchow

    February 9, 2006 at 9:18 pm in reply to: IO good for Soundtrack Pro?

    No, it is not. When I need the io I simply run two cables, an sdi and a long vga extender cable that acts as my rs-422 cable.

    Yes you can edit on the K2 and go SDI out to the io and then S-Video of the io to whatever you want. All outputs of the io are active at all time. You can run component, composite, SDI, and S-Video all out at the same time.

    The choice between the io and and K2 is all subjective. I so both SD and HD jobs so I need the Kona 2. If you don’t do HD or don’t plan on doing HD than io, or kona ls is fine for you. The Kona 2 will also allow you to upconvert to HD if you ever need to do that as well. There’s also the Kona LH (or LHe) that has both analog and digital ins and outs, along with SD and HD capability.

    Does this help or does this confuse you even more?

  • Jeremy Garchow

    February 9, 2006 at 8:37 pm in reply to: IO good for Soundtrack Pro?

    Hot damn! You are a genius! Thanks Ed.

    Jeremy

  • Jeremy Garchow

    February 9, 2006 at 6:33 pm in reply to: IO good for Soundtrack Pro?

    [Robert Broussard] “Jeremy, what limitations are there with a device such as the IO not being CA Compliant? What can we NOT do that we might want to do”

    Well, you can’t use software that requires the use of core audio, such as soundtrack pro. You can’t play your mac sounds out through the io (woopdee doo). You cannot preview After Effects audio through the io (this is the one that I miss the most).

    [Robert Broussard] “Also, what’s the typical Kona 2/3 workflow? How do they work in tandem and how are they connected?”

    I use the io to bring in/layoff analog SD material. It also makes a great d/a. The io in this suite office is not tied to my machine, it’s actually tied to another machine. I have a Kona 2 on my machine, so I constantly use the io to feed my kona 2. They are tethered by an SDI cable and a cheap serial cable. It works splendidly. If they are on the same machine and you need to bring in analog SD material, then you select the io preset and away you go. Once the footage is in, I would suggest using the Kona2 for editing as the delay is lessened, although the delay does not bother me. the Kona 2 is CA compliant so soundtrack pro will work just fine.

    The combo of the io and Kona2/3 is great.

    If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask.

    Jeremy

  • Jeremy Garchow

    February 9, 2006 at 5:11 am in reply to: I’d like to discuss the SPX800 P2 camera

    Yep, that looks like it would work.

    But this kind of cost is what the bill payer my shop won’t pay for every 2-3 projects. Plus there’s the cost of a PC laptop (for me as I work with macs) and then the cost of the P2 store.

    GRaids are awesome though. I have had some problems with LaCie, but maybe that’s just me.

    These costs are cool to accumulate with an HVX200 since the price of the camera package is so low. WIth an SPX800, your cost is quadruple right off of the bat so adding on all of these little gadgets keeps jacking up the price of an already significant investment. I mean if you decide to go with these higher end tape drives, just getting a scsi card is going to set you back 1,000 bucks. Then paying another 2 or 3 grand or up to 10 grand for the drive itself? This just doesn’t capture my imagination.

  • Yes, most definitely. The only thing is that the Kona 2 is a mostly digital card. It has analog component outputs and that’s it. You’ll need to get an audio d/a converter for the audio. Perhaps you’d be more interested in a Kona LH. The LH sports SD, HD, analog and digital. The biggest difference between the Kona 2 and Kona LH, besides the analog connectivity is that the Kona 2 also has upconversion while the Kona LH does not. The Kona LH has the same hardware downconversion as the Kona 2. Decisions, decisions.

    Jeremy

  • Okay, it sounds like you are having final cut setup issues. You don’t need to render to a blackmagic codec to output dv50 (unless blackmagic does not support dv50, but it should). You should go with blackmagic’s dv50 easy set up, import your footage, create a new sequence (that is a very important step) and view. You must must must must must view your footage out through an external NTSC monitor, not an lcd or equivalent. HD footage looks pretty good on an lcd, but not sd footage. The digital cinema preview is just that, a preview and you should not use it to judge what your picture looks like on a tv.

    As far as decklink HDs hardware converter, I’m not sure. You can go look at the blackmagic forum and ask how downcoverts look. last time I checked blackmagic did not support 720p24 downconverts to SD, If this is important to you, I’d check that out.

    I have and use a Kona 2 and it works tremendously. It’s a little more pricey than a decklink, but it’s well worth the money and the tech support is awesome from the guys & gals in the aja shop.

  • Jeremy Garchow

    February 9, 2006 at 3:50 am in reply to: capture problems 24p, DVCpro50, and the AJSD93 deck

    Sorry, I meant 24pAdvanced, not Normal.

Page 2828 of 2910

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy