Herb Sevush
Forum Replies Created
-
[Simon Ubsdell] “I’d like to be the first to nominate Aindreas as my Man of the Year 2011. Unquestionably the best thing about the last twelve months!
“Agreed.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Chris Tompkins] “You can layoff DV50 to that deck.”
Are you sure about that? I thought DV50 was playback only on that deck.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Bill Davis] “Well, you got the first part of this wrong (it was Conan) so pardon me if I don’t end up surprised if you get the second part equally wrong as well.”
So that would be bad marketing wouldn’t it – creating the impression of stupidity would, rightfully, lead you to invalidate the rest of my argument. So I thank you for correcting my error and also for demonstrating the fundamentals of a bad roll-out – creating a negative impression which supersedes the actual content.
[Bill Davis] “Wow. That’s an amazing sentence. Look at it again. “editors who have never tried it – hate it.”
Once upon a time, people with any intelligence at all would have broken down laughing at an idea like this. And here you are, Herb, propagating it.”It’s not an idea I’m propagating Bill, it’s merely a fact I’m stating. I’m not saying it’s proper or wise for editors to hate something they’ve never used, I’m saying it’s an indictment of Apple’s marketing of X that this situation occurs so frequently.
[Bill Davis] “BTW, I’m not arguing that it might not be a “cataclysm” for you. But if so, you need to spend your time learning an alternative. Just don’t presume that your view is universal, cuz it’s not.”
Your missing my point Bill so I guess I’m not making myself clear. My post has nothing to do with the quality or usefulness of FCPX for me or anyone else.
The release of X was and is a costly pain in the neck for me, but hardly catastrophic or cataclysmic. Those hyperbolic terms were used to describe the incredible ineptitude of Apple’s marketing and release of X, not of the actual product itself. At the moment I have nothing to say about X as a product other than it’s totally useless in my workflow.
[Bill Davis] “Your view I quoted second above, actually kinda disses the intelligence of the editing community at large. It’s the working editor viewed as human sheep. “Just push the buttons and we ‘smarter folk’ will tell you what to think””
That’s all we are to marketers; sheep, lemmings, in other words – consumers.
A marketer’s job is to create a good initial impression about a product, to create a positive “buzz” that will lead the sheep to drink the water. It is not good marketing to scare the sheep away before they’ve even seen the sludge. The marketing release behind X created more initial bad will for a product than anything I ever saw or heard about. It’s irrelevant whether the ill will was justified, as a marketing operation it was Apple’s job to create a positive environment for their little baby. Instead they birthed it in a radioactive waste pit. As marketing goes, it can’t get any worse.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Bill Davis] “It was only ever “catastrophic” among an inside group of people who relentlessly began tearing down aspects of the software they had NO CLUE about.”
Bill the roll out was catastrophic as a marketing event totally aside from the actual quality of the software. No matter if FCPX becomes the model for all NLEs from here on in, the release was the biggest disaster since the Titanic.
The perception of FCPX is so bad it spawned this forum. The roll out was so bad it was parodied on the Jay Leno show – the only mention of an NLE in the history of broadcast TV was a total comedic assault. In future years the roll out of FCPX will be studied in business school the way Coke Classic and the Edsel is studied now.
Again, this has nothing to do with the actual content of the software, this is all about the way the software was marketed, released and perceived. The very fact that editors who have never tried the software hate it so much is the most damming evidence of the size of the cataclysm that was the release of X.
The only reason that X will probably weather this storm is the fact that it is so insignificant financially to Apple. If a company like Avid had released a product in this way they would already be in chapter 11.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Craig Seeman] “Some will complain about a $300 NLE being beta but how about an $80k camera kit.”
Three points:
1 – Red officially calls the Epic a Beta product, (in contrast to you-know-who)
2 – They didn’t kill off a successful line to offer the Epic,
and
3 – They gave him back his money, including the cost of third party accessories.
So it cost him nothing, and he continues working with the cameras he already owns, and the eco system that supports them.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
The article was written for a website specializing in consumer electronics reviews. In it the author clearly separated the world of consumer software from such items as car brakes and IBM mainframes. No one is going to confuse an NLE with lifesaving car parts, but the question remains where on the line between an iphone ap and an IBM mainframe does an NLE reside?
The requirements for a professional piece of software are much higher than for consumer items – while it’s true no one has ever died from a bad edit, people have lost a lot of money, not to say their job, making the wrong bet on some bits and bytes.
It’s always been understood that version 1 software is unstable, professionals go there at some risk. The reward is to be at the bleeding edge, the risk is to fall into the abyss; but to say that I should have the same tolerance for Beta software that helps me earn a living as I do for one that connects me to Google is a bit naive.
I agree with your point that the new distribution channel makes potential upgrades easier and the idea of a fixed release date fuzzier, I’m not at all sure that it means that I will accept and expect lower standards from the companies I do business with. In fact, with all of this so called ease of distribution, X has had precisely 1 upgrade in the last 6 months, and that after a rollout that can only be described as catastrophic. Legacy came out with dot point fixes at least as fast.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Good article.
“Just because everything electronic these days is a work in progress doensn’t mean everybody gets a free pass. iOS 5 shouldn’t have had battery-draining problems and Samsung’s Galaxy Nexus shouldn’t have had that volume bug, and both those problems should have been caught earlier. An IBM mainframe and your car’s antilock brakes should be held to a much higher standard, too. And if Amazon doesn’t get its Fire’s act together soon, the market will punish it, because quality and reputation still matter.”
I wonder where the X roll-out fits in?
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Bill Davis] ” it takes too much time to understand a complex human being’s underlying truths”
Bill, my underlying truth is that I’m a grumpy contrarian.
It’s not my only truth, but it works here. Asking for others to understand our deeper underlying truths makes one sound like a moonstruck teenager – “oh why can’t they love me for who I truly am?” when the answer is we are what we say and do.
If our truths, like anything else, are buried too deep, they just might be somewhat deceased.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Jeremy Garchow] “It was a joke to Herb about waxing hypotheticals. That’s it. I laughed.”
I didn’t laugh so much as chuckle. See, we still can’t agree.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Relax, where just being hypothetical.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf