Forum Replies Created

Page 216 of 315
  • Herb Sevush

    March 14, 2012 at 5:43 pm in reply to: What if there actually IS a new Mac Pro?

    [Walter Soyka] ” for those on the fence, what would make you believe?”

    A public statement defining their road-map with a timetable and a promise to publicly announce adjustments to the timetable as need be. I think Apple would be loath to go back on a public commitment. Short of that there’s nothing they can say or do that would inspire trust.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    March 14, 2012 at 2:32 pm in reply to: What if there actually IS a new Mac Pro?

    [Craig Seeman] “Apple really has very little reason to be in the NLE business outside of driving computer sales.”

    Agreed; we’re just disagreeing on …

    a) which computers they’re trying to sell with X, and

    b) the prospects of FCPX meeting those aims.

    [Craig Seeman] “I’m not limiting the issue to the current state of FCPX because after this MacPro update, which may not be driven by FCPX, may be followed by another one in a couple of years and by then Avid and Premiere users on the Mac may be in decline.”

    I’m not looking that far down the road. My interests aren’t theoretical, I’m buying something in May and the best solution would be a new MacPro that matches my criteria. If I were to venture a guess the next system I would buy after that would be running Linux, but again, I’m not trying to look around the next turn, it’s all I can do to see the road in front of me.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    March 14, 2012 at 1:29 pm in reply to: What if there actually IS a new Mac Pro?

    [Craig Seeman] “Do you really thing FCPX won’t have a noteworthy portion of the market in 2 years when people are faced with upgrades assuming they want to take advantage of FCPX’s state at that point.”

    Two points.

    First I don’t think the current X market is as large as you think. I think a large part of this audience is made up of those editors curious enough to give it a try at it’s initial low cost. I don’t think a large portion of them will stay with it. We’ll know when the next paid version comes out, If I’m right sales numbers will go down significantly.

    Second and more importantly the current editors who love and use X for their paying jobs, people like Tony West and Bill Davis, don’t use a Mac Pro. Half of their argument for the wonderfulness of X is how well it performs on a MBP. I think X will have a larger market on the Ipad than it will ever have on a Mac Pro. Most of the market for workstations have been driven from the Apple camp like they were vermin. It’s been 8 months now and poor Jeremy, your Mac Pro demographic incarnate, who loves the entire X concept, is sounding more and more despondent because of how unstable X is. He’s being driven, unwillingly, into the arms of Adobe.

    So no, while it’s possible ( but I doubt it ) that FCPX sales in the future might drive Imac and MBP sales, the idea that they will drive Mac Pro sales is plain silly. PPro will sell a hell of a lot more Mac Pros for Apple than X will, which is why I have some hope that the market for MPs will be big enough to sustain itself.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    March 14, 2012 at 2:32 am in reply to: What if there actually IS a new Mac Pro?

    [Craig Seeman] “What will change (I think) is the internal expandability pushing one into something closer to a 2 year upgrade cycle.”

    If the new Mac Pro pushes GPU and PCIe connectivity off the main system, the main host computer becomes easier to upgrade. It’s essentially like upgrading the CPU and Ram every few years. Not such a bad deal.

    The idea that X is going to drive those sales, on the other hand, is too funny for words. That it might benefit from such a system is plausible, that it will drive it is not.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    March 13, 2012 at 6:20 pm in reply to: What if there actually IS a new Mac Pro?

    [Walter Soyka] ” if Apple actually does release a new Mac Pro? Will you buy one?”

    Possibly. See below.

    [Walter Soyka] “Will it indicate to you that Apple does care about providing solutions for your needs”

    Not at all.

    [Walter Soyka] “will you see it as a stay of execution for the Mac Pro line, giving us one more generation “

    Yes, but as the saying goes, every day above ground is a good day.

    [Walter Soyka] “What features would you want to see on the 2012 Mac Pro?”

    Mercury Engine capable GPU choices for work with PPro.
    Thunderbolt.
    Enough PCIe slots to make it useable (this includes Thunderbolt PCIe expansion boxes if available.)
    Obviously new CPUs.

    I can live without Thunderbolt, the others are requirements.

    [Walter Soyka] “What software would you run on your 2012 Mac Pro?”

    Legacy, PPro, possibly Avid.

    [Walter Soyka] “Does Thunderbolt let you consider an iMac or even a MacBook Pro instead of a Mac Pro for your work?”

    No.

    [Walter Soyka] “If the current trends of the Mac Pro’s relatively limited internal expansion, limited processor choice, limited GPU choice (and poor GPU performance) continue, what would make you want to buy a Mac Pro over a PC workstation like the upcoming Z820?”

    Nothing.

    [Walter Soyka] “what’s the 2012 Mac Pro’s value proposition?”

    Since I will need a legacy machine as i transition to either Avid or PPro, I would just as soon have everything I need on 1 machine
    instead of having to run both a windows and mac box. If a new mac box will run PPro / Avid to their max, it would be a no brainer. Short of that, it’s off to the PC world I go.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    March 13, 2012 at 4:26 pm in reply to: Passing of Ramsey Marzouk

    As I think about this I remember a story.

    When *edit was being developed the industry was switching over from analog to digital tape formats. The edit* forum, which on a polite day was more contentious than even this forum has ever been, was full of discussion as to where the tone should be set when laying down bars and tone. There was a bars and tone element with tone set at 0db analog, but much gnashing of teeth about where to set it for digital formats: -20, -12, -10 or -6. This went on for awhile as I recall, with input back from the development team, until Ramsey said the hell with it and simply put a tone generator as part of the package and said everyone could now set it where they wanted. And that’s how the tone generator came to *edit.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    March 13, 2012 at 4:17 pm in reply to: Passing of Ramsey Marzouk

    AS a fellow *editor I had mat Ramsey a few times, he was part of a small but great team of programmers that were always accessible to all the *edit users. Very sorry to hear about this. My condolences to his friends and family.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    March 13, 2012 at 3:16 pm in reply to: Larry Jordan

    [Bill Davis] “Herb is correct on all counts.”

    Thank you Bill.

    I think I’ll have that notion embroidered and hang it on my wall and point to it whenever my client/boss/wife/son disagrees with me. If they have a problem with it I’ll tell them to take it up with you.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    March 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm in reply to: Larry Jordan

    [Gary Slickman] “I mean no disrespect but I think however that you totally high jacked this thread.”

    I don’t see it that way at all. It’s a good sidebar to this thread.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    March 12, 2012 at 5:20 pm in reply to: Larry Jordan

    [Bret Williams] “And that lesson was what? Successful people are just lucky? Don’t bother to work hard, it doesn’t make a difference?”

    Bill wasn’t lucky, he was good enough that his ID was all they needed to hear.

    How about these possible lessons –

    Get to the point.

    First impressions matter most.

    If your demo is more than 3 minutes long, it’s way too long.

    It’s also a reminder to make your slate and countdown as slick as possible; right or wrong you can be judged on that as much as the content of the show.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 216 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy