Herb Sevush
Forum Replies Created
-
Herb Sevush
March 29, 2012 at 10:41 pm in reply to: Illustrator turns 25 today. Thoughts on it, Luddites and FCP X[Bill Davis] “I’m supposed to be the Saleari (sp) of posting. The untalented hack that can’t grasp that he simply lacks Mozart’s talent yet THINKS he does.”
No, Salieri knew he was a hack and hated both Mozart and God because of it; envied Mozart for the talent he wished he had, hated God for giving him just enough talent to appreciate what a hack he was.
Great movie, by the way.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
The beauty of capitalism at work.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
March 29, 2012 at 3:48 pm in reply to: Illustrator turns 25 today. Thoughts on it, Luddites and FCP X[Bill Davis] “If that’s true Herb, then we should have seen all the traffic here migrate to the Premier and Vegas, and AVID boards. “
Go check out the PPro board and you’ll find a bunch of the names that used to pop up here last spring.[Bill Davis] “Legacy EOL has been a fact for the best part of a year. Plenty of time for people to have left it for another program. “
Actually, it’s not. I want to change, but I’m still committed to Legacy for now. I was hoping to be able to switch before June, when we start our next season, but that’s dependent on what happens in April. It’s possible, though I am loath to admit it, that I will still be on Legacy for another year. I don’t think I’m that rare a case.[Bill Davis] “People who hang here are a lot of things, but stupid isn’t typically one of them.”
No, it’s precisely because the people who come here aren’t stupid that I like to come here. As you may have noticed from various threads some people want to rename this forum to something more general that reflects that very large net of concerns under discussion. As time goes on, X itself seems to me to be a smaller part of the ongoing dialogue.[Bill Davis] “If you look back carefully on the posts here. it’s about half a dozen folks who keep trashing it. And about the same number of us who regularly praise it. We’re not getting legions of new commenters. NOR are we loosing much steam.”
This is true of the last 6 months or so, but we have lost a lot of the original posters. Check out the all the names that were here last summer – where have they gone?[Bill Davis] “I’d argue that the health of this board is ABSOLUTE proof of the “intrinsic” merit of X. It’s sparked and generated the largest on-going on-line debate of NLE design, structure and use that any of us have ever seen.”
You’d argue and I’d disagree. I’d argue that if this product was released by Boris or Grass Valley you’d never have heard of it, much less used it. I’d further argue that if Apple had released this product concurrent with ongoing support of Legacy this “debate” forum would be unnecessary. This forum is testament to the power of Apple and the dominance of FCP. The Techniques forum is proof of the merit of X, and that forum is quite busy indeed.[Bill Davis] “as important new hardware and OS improvements are released in the Apple world – the FCP-X development team – being on the INSIDE after all, will be able to take advantage of those before the software teams from other vendors.”
Now there’s a laugh if ever I heard one. That was the concept that made me buy Legacy in the first place, and we can see how well that paid off. Walter, Craig and Jeremy are going on and on about how the OS team and the Pro Aps people never even talk to one another and your claiming that relationship is an advantage for Apple? It’s like the last year never happened. If this past year is what it’s like to be on the inside, I shall endeavor to stay as far outside as I can henceforth.[Bill Davis] “If five years from now, we’re all on smaller, tablet based OS devices, I’m willing to bet that Apple has better touch screen video editing than Redmond.”
My best guess is that in 5 years I will be editing on Linux boxes and saying a pox on both their houses.[Bill Davis] “Maybe I’ll see you at NAB. If so I’ll buy the first round.”
Wish I could make it but it’s not to be this year. You’ll have to drink for the both of us.Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Bill Davis] “OK, Herb, but if you’re gonna ding the “crazy” bell on me -how do you handle that the original link here was to yet another pro user in the field saying the same thing I’ve said over and over and over again.”
I wasn’t really dinging the bell, I was just reacting to the sentence itself, it was like challenging someone to make a funny comment. So to clarify Bill, I don’t think your crazy. I do think some of your arguments are lacking in logic, but it’s not a personal judgement.
[Bill Davis] “As one small example, people diss X for crashing. Which is fair. It does crash. And if that’s all someone has to say, it’s fair – but it’s also misleading. Cuz, when others note that it largely crashes “losslessly” and an average user seldom gets set back much if any from such a crash – that’s useful for someone trying to decide whether to use it.”
On the other hand people praise X for it’s speed. I don’t see how continuous crashing helps your overall cutting speed, even with lossless reboots, but hey, that’s just me.
[Bill Davis] “I can edit faster with X than I could with Legacy – and now I understand that with every project I successfully create and archive, I am building a global database for each client that I can use in the future that will potentially improve my efficiency further. I just got an order for new commercials for a west coast client just yesterday, and was able to save hours if not days by instantly calling up the relevant selects via keywords off the old project. I went from idea to rough cut in 30 minutes , rather than a full day of dis-archiving their project from a year ago and re-capturing the digital tapes which would have been the process a year ago.”
I like the database of keywords, that works for me, it sounds very convenient to have it inside the ap. See, I can admit that their are some excellent ideas within X. But for the rest, the dis-archiving and re-capturing has nothing specifically to do with X, your talking about tapeless workflows and archiving, and while X is an improvement over Legacy there, many other NLE’s — PPro, Edius — had X beat to market with that workflow by about a year.
[Bill Davis] “That’s what X has the potential to do. Uniquely in my estimation. It’s built for persistent on-line asset storage and retrieval.”
What is unique about X as far as asset storage and retrieval goes? Persistent on-line storage is dependent on the size of you asset library. I shoot 15 Terrabytes of new material each spring. If I needed persistent storage I would have to buy a new 16TB raid every year. With that financial commitment even Legacy could have “persistent on-line asset storage and retrieval.” I don’t see how X makes the storage and retrieval process go any faster or cheaper – this is a real question – can you explain what you mean here?
[Bill Davis] “I’ve already used features like the Share capabilities to turn client approval dubs into something that take literally seconds to generate and email, rather than the hours it took to burn DVDs and FedEx them off in the past.”
One click export is nice, but it’s not that much faster than the 5 clicks I need to export a file with Legacy. I still have to send some of my clients DVDs, their choice not mine. I think the ability to remotely screen and work with collaborators using Ichat and Skype is a much bigger deal.
[Bill Davis] “The “timeline operations” module in the middle of FCP-X is all that most traditional “editors” are stuck arguing about. (Analogy alert: look away so as not to burn your brain!) To me that’s like arguing exclusively about the engines at a car show. Should it be part of the discussion? Absolutely. But it’s not the only discussion worth having. And the engine doesn’t adequately describe the entire car experience, does it?”
But if the engine won’t get you up the mountain it’s a waste of time talking about the great navigation features and the lumbar support. It’s not the only thing, but it’s a deal breaker.
[Bill Davis] “That’s the kind of stuff that those of us who are using it are seeing as transformative. Not whether the timeline is magnetic or not. That turned out to be almost totally trivial in hindsight.”
If it’s so trivial and yet so polarizing, you’d think they would address it.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Michael Gissing] “None of those NLE’s have written anything so hard to compare to Steinbeck, but Steenbeck is another matter.”
Blast you, spell checker!!!
I should have gone with Moviola.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[tony west] “BTW, remember how many people were talking about multi-cam before they put it in and after they did nobody talks about it at all. Not to say it’s good or bad or anything. It was such a big deal before. Now, meh”
It looks like an excellent multi-cam tool as long as you have simplistic audio needs, it was reviewed positively when it came out, and I still can’t use it because I split my audio over all my source tracks and X is terrible at dealing with this workflow. What else needs to be said about it?
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Craig Seeman] ” this was a real job which required a real decision on which NLE he used (unless you think Apple was the one who paid his way).”
“I’ve been using it (chuckle) almost by force”
In the video he implied that the decision to use X wasn’t exactly his.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Bill Davis] “Either we’re all crazy”
C’mon Bill, that’s too easy, you gotta make us work for it.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Craig Seeman] “Some of us, me included, really do prefer FCPX to 7 wherever and whenever possible.”
The straw man argument again. It is fair to Compare it to PPRO, Edius, Avid or Vegas, but comparing it to EOL’d software? – Why don’t you compare it to a Steinbeck while your at it.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
March 28, 2012 at 5:46 pm in reply to: Illustrator turns 25 today. Thoughts on it, Luddites and FCP X[Bill Davis] ” I’ll make a simple argument. If X’s construct “doesn’t come close” to what I’m making of it – then why are so many professionals still trying to come to grips with it?”
Because it was released by Apple to replace the most popular NLE in existance. If either :
A) It was released by another company
or
B) Apple hadn’t EOL’d Legacy but called the new ap Icut or something else.
then
C) This forum would not exist. There would be a basic Icut forum where users would be trying to figure it out and if Apple’s name wasn’t attached to it my guess is that it wouldn’t be a very busy forum.
The traffic on this forum is in no way a proof of any intrinsic merit to X, merely to the dominance of Legacy in the NLE market.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf