Forum Replies Created

Page 207 of 315
  • Herb Sevush

    April 18, 2012 at 6:35 pm in reply to: The Fog Thickens

    [Chris Kenny] “the discontinuation of ‘classic’ Final Cut has created a vacuum that didn’t previously exist, making it easier for new products (a category in which I include FCP X) to succeed.”

    It has created a vacuum for a specific type of editor, not necessarily one interested in new paradigms. The companies poised to fill that vacuum are making it part of their marketing approach to emphasize how uninterested they are in creating new paradigms – to wit this from Autodesk:

    (Smoke has) “An intuitive all-in-one creative workflow that combines track-based editorial, industry standard editing conventions and proven Autodesk creative tools.”

    Translation: we are nothing like FCPX, so it’s safe for you to buy us. We don’t have a magnetic timeline, we do have tracks, we do have source viewers, and a project is not an event and a timeline is not a project.

    This article was not addressed to this Cow forum, it was addressed to the editing public at large, and it reflects Audtodesk’s impression of what the world wide editing audience is thinking at the moment.

    [Chris Kenny] “I’m keeping a close eye on Lightworks, but I’m skeptical if development of a serious NLE can really be funded in the way they propose.”

    I’m skeptical as well, but no more skeptical than I am that Apple won’t toss the whole pro apps market to the wayside. Skepticism is good, but I apply it to all.

    [Chris Kenny] “This implies that Apple intended to ship these features in the first release but was unable to complete them in time. There’s zero evidence of this.”

    I would say the paper they published within days of the release outlining the features they were planning but hadn’t had time to implement, like multicam, was plenty of evidence. They gave a timeline, which to give them credit they’ve mostly hit, of exactly which missing features would be restored by when. Do you think they just made up this list in the few days after the release. I don’t.

    [Chris Kenny] “What if FCP X had shipped with broadcast monitoring, stem exports, XML and multicam (which it all now has), but things like tagging, auditions, automated shot analysis, and 4K support had been subsequently added over the past 12 months? Would people be claiming there hadn’t been rapid significant feature additions because FCP X was supposed to have those features in the first place?”

    The missing features were standard to the industry and their lack crippled the product for many workflows. These items you mention are nice additions but, other than 4K support, describe one project that couldn’t be completed without them. They made a car with a great GPS and autoparking but it lacked headlights and breaks. If your Chrysler you don’t get a lot of love for finally putting the breaks back.

    You can argue that X had so many innovations when it first came out that spending the next year or two on basic maintenance and functionality still leaves it the most innovative NLE out there. It might be true, but I don’t see it succeeding the way you do. That might be because it does not work for my particular work flow, I’ll give you that. I do know that I speak to many editors and all of them have written X off with the same line – “maybe in a few years.”

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm in reply to: The Fog Thickens

    [Chris Kenny] “For all that people talk up Premiere as the solution to everything in various online forums, we have yet to even receive an inquiry about whether we can handle a project edited in it.”

    Most people I know were waiting for PPro 6 to make a decision. I’d give it another year to see if this holds true.

    [Chris Kenny] “Viewed in this light, consider the fact that it’s radically cheaper than alternative apps and in many ways easier to use, it adopts interesting new paradigms for organizing media and sequences, it has been updated on a very aggressive schedule, and it’s backed by a company with virtually unlimited resources. Does this really seem like an app doomed to failure in the long run?”

    If new paradigms were a precursor to success then Sony Vegas would be a market leader. It’s not nearly as cheap as Lightworks, which is free. Most of it’s updates were merely to fix stuff it was supposed to have in the first place. The virtually unlimited resources of it’s parent company are not aimed at this market at all and that same parent is infamous for it’s policy of software infanticide. In other words – who knows?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 18, 2012 at 2:52 pm in reply to: The Fog Thickens

    [Franz Bieberkopf] “It’s a bit thin on details for the Mac version though; I suppose it will be clearer at the end of May.”

    With the apparent demise of any OSX workstation options, I’m no longer interested in the Mac version of any product. I’ll be downloading my Windows version on the 28th.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “That’ll cost you $249”

    Good one.

    Your up late for an expectant daddy. Practicing?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Craig Seeman] ” Seems Adobe does care if people keep using Macs. Hmm, we know Autodesk does.”

    The question is does Apple care.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 18, 2012 at 4:09 am in reply to: The Fog Thickens

    “After a hugely successful 18-month beta program, EditShare is pleased to announce the official release of Lightworks, the world-class NLE, on the 28th of May 2012.”

    Back to the future.

    https://news.creativecow.net/story/868546

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 17, 2012 at 9:22 pm in reply to: Unexpectedly Quits using Blackmagic Codec Plugin

    [Scott Moore] “If this is a blackmagic specific problem i’d happily get an AJA or Matrox card instead but i don’t want to do that and then find out its a FCP or system problem and i’ve just wasted my money.”

    As far as I know it’s a BM problem only. No guarantees, see if you can buy it from someone who will let you return it. It might be worth a restocking fee to find out.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 17, 2012 at 5:22 pm in reply to: Opitical Thunderbolt cables. On a Thinkpad.

    [Andrew Richards] “How fast is your RAID today?”

    at 80% full:

    Blackmagic Speed Utility: 1000 MBs Read; 831 MBs Write

    AJA at 1280×720 8 bit: 978 MBs Read; 220 MBs Write (cache turned off)

    And even at these speeds I get the green preview line for my 5 camera multicam timelines, using ProRes 720P60.

    “I feel the need for speed.”

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 17, 2012 at 5:02 pm in reply to: Opitical Thunderbolt cables. On a Thinkpad.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “What do you need PCIe wise?”

    High speed raid. Can’t get enough speed. Multicam is a beast on bandwidth. Other than that, BM I/O cards, LTO5 deck, GPU. For me MacPro’s do not have enough PCIe slots, it’s one of the temptations of the PC world. And yes, at this point I’m down to a single machine. I used to have a multi seat facility, but those days are gone. So the temptations to have everything in one box, with less cabling, less mess, is very strong – as long as I can open the box myself for upgrades and repairs.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 17, 2012 at 4:53 pm in reply to: Opitical Thunderbolt cables. On a Thinkpad.

    [John Kaley] “I looked at that workstation too, and had to image the jet-engine roar the fans must make when that thing’s at full-tilt boogie.”

    They say it’s very quiet, but I’d have to hear it to believe it, but I doubt it’s any noisier than my current Maxx Digital Raid + MacPro. You could check with our own David Roth Weiss, who now works at Promaxx.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 207 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy