Forum Replies Created

Page 199 of 315
  • Herb Sevush

    May 25, 2012 at 3:07 am in reply to: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?

    [Jeremy Garchow] ” you can select audio and video separately and break sync, or trim only one track, but if you hold option and click, it selects the linked audio and video (even if they are out of sync). It’s really the best of both worlds.”

    Thanks for the tip, I’ll check it out next week,

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 25, 2012 at 2:50 am in reply to: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?

    [Marcus Moore] ” With video data throughput being most a separate issue, and Adobe and FCPX leaning more and more heavily on GPU power for real time playback, rendering, and encoding. How important is the CPU at this stage? What’s the breakdown of responsibility between the CPU and GPU?”

    The GPU is for real time playback, the CPU is for encoding and rendering.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 24, 2012 at 4:22 am in reply to: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Linked selection off serves that purpose, but also allows alt selection. Do people not edit with linked selection off? I use it all the time, and turn it on all the time, too. Basically, all the time, I’m turning it on or off and liking it. “

    Don’t even know what “linked slection off” is, which is not unusual with programs like Legacy – so many options, so many ways to do the same thing differently that every time I watch another experienced editor work I learn something new. I’ll have to look into this when I get back to the editing room.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “You prolly won’t like premiere then. Im sure you know, there’s no Sync indicators for unlinked clips, and you must alt select to move independently. “

    So I’ve heard, which explains my gloom.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “What I do like about premiere is even though there’s no keystroke for moving a/v to different tracks, simply grabbing a clip and dragging audio down or video up moves only the audio or video to adjacent tracks and not both. I find it much faster than 7. Of course in x, none of that shit is necessary, hahahahahahaha!”

    While I know you’re being funny here, the fact is “that shit” is always necessary. The magnetic timeline simply lets you move something first, then sort out the implications later. With standard timelines you have to think first, then move. No matter which way you do it thinking will, unhappily, still be involved.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 24, 2012 at 3:29 am in reply to: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?

    [Andy Neil] “Sounds like Avid is the NLE for you.”

    After avoiding it for 15 years, you might be right. One of my issues going with Avid is we now shoot in ProRes. There’s no way I am going to re-wrap 14 Terrabytes of material (which is what we create when we shoot a series) to DNxHD. I know Avid claims it can now work with ProRes directly, but I have to know that I’m not loosing any functionality doing so.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 24, 2012 at 3:14 am in reply to: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Herb, do you work truly unlinked or just with linked selection off?”

    The first thing I do after I create an assembly is unlink everything. If you notice the “nothin’ attached to nothin” below my name it refers to my style of editing. Possibly because of all my multicam work, possibly because I started out cutting film, the idea of leaving my audio attached to the video seems like editing in molasses. But in order to cut the way I like I need to be able to see my sync relationships at a glance, constantly.

    I’m away shooting next years series this month, when I get back I’ll open up my PPro 6 disks and give it a test ride. From what I can discern so far I do not think it will be the answer for me. As much as I don’t want to I might have to spend another year with Legacy, cursing Apple under my breath.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 24, 2012 at 1:36 am in reply to: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?

    [Chris Harlan] ” the color-coded TC overlay that you can turn on and off in the record monitor. I can’t believe that no one else has something similar.”

    For my way of working, with unlinked clips, this is essential. The idea of editing without something like this is as appealing as drinking soup with a fork.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 23, 2012 at 11:03 pm in reply to: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?

    [Jules bowman] “You see, to me it seems that, limitations aside which could have been fixed over time, FCP was very very very good. My biggest frustration is not having to find a new NLE although that is a drag, but that neither PP6 nor FC10 are as good as editing on FCP. Sure it had flaws and issues but at the same time it had a lot of great sensible little short cuts and features that seem so logical and sensible that them not being in the others almost beggars belief.”

    I second that emotion.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 23, 2012 at 11:01 pm in reply to: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?

    [alban egger] “But FCP7 now REALLY looks like the lame duck it always was. CS6 wipes the floor with FCP7 from what I read and saw (but never really had time to try it). So what do the FP7 disciples think about their NLE?”

    I wish there was something as good so I could buy it, but so far, everything else comes up short. Every other system is too rigid. FCP7 allows me to edit with more freedom – multiple open timelines, timecode sync indicators so I’m not afraid to disconnect my audio from my video, easy to work with audio split out over all my video sources, tracks allowing me to organize my info visually, ease of moving clips to different tracks, ease of copying specific attributes from one clip to any or all other clips … a very flexible and customizable system that I wish someone else would match.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 23, 2012 at 10:47 pm in reply to: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?

    [Marcus Moore] “I think it speaks to a larger, dare I say philosophical?, question of what a workstation is”

    Right now a workstation is –

    capable of handling 32-64 Gig Ram

    available with the latest GPU and CPU processors, including multiple CPU and GPU processors.

    built with multiple PCIe slots.

    This is not a hard definition to make. If you can handle all of that your a workstation, if you can’t, your not.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 23, 2012 at 2:20 am in reply to: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?

    [Jim Giberti] ” because it defies reason that Apple would develop this whole new FCPX paradigm and not sell hardware that runs it optimally.”

    Apple might just change their mind. They have done that in the past, or so I’ve been told. It is not beyond believing that they might decide to dump any part of the pro app business if it doesn’t suit their unknown and unknowable purposes. It’s hard to plan when only they know where they think the puck is going.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 199 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy